FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dvi or analog

mrblah
I have a flatscreen that has dvi and analog output and I have a video card with the same. When I make it DVI to DVI, I notice no difference in the display. Is there supposed to be a difference or do I need a super high power video card to notice it? I currently just have a generic 5300 evga card and a Samsung Syncmaster 930b.
Animal
DVI should give you higher quality, but it entirely depends on the source output. If it's standard broadcast quality that you're sending to the monitor, it can only put out standard broadcast quality. If it's a high-definition broadcast, the DVI cable will give you noticeably better quality.

I would recommend that you stick with the DVI.
Rocky3478
Look at the edges of text, details in photos, etc. You'll notice a big difference.
SoftStag
You should get a slightly crisper image, with better colour definition.
Jamatu
You will notice a difference, but not that big of a difference, although it does depend on the amount of interferance your analog signal is getting.
Donutey
It shouldn't make a big difference, DMI just improves the signal quality a little bit, and in some lower end video cards it actually only supports lower resolutions than the VGA interface...
mrblah
Thanks for the answers. I guess now that I look a lot closer it does make just a little bit of a difference. I was under the impression that it might a huge difference. I just wanted to make sure.
root
DVI definitely gets you higher quality, but if you dont already have a DVI cable it may not be worth spending the $xxx for the slight up in quality for a good cable.
time_ar
Today's A/D and D/A converters are very good, although DVI gives you 'loseless' digital signal.
cepher
not as "lossless" as hdmi!

DVI all the way...d-sub/analog give the screen a pale look.

It aslo has slower frame rates..Sad

DVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVIDVI
root
cepher your sig is godly...i just had to say that
Scanner771
DVI Is better it is basically a HD supported adapter
ocalhoun
mrblah wrote:
I have a flatscreen that has dvi and analog output

Your minitor has output?