FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

did anyone read "Memoirs of a Geisha" ?

windrei
i am thinking whether to buy the original novel or not. Is it good ?

and for those who have watched the movie, is it very different from the original novel ?
wumingsden
I think the new film is excellent, i have not however seen the original version (i didn't even know there was one).
madsencarl
Both the book and film look like pieces of s***. "Oh, you're a slave, but now you're a princess, let's sit down and have a sob together whislt dressing you in stupid robes" WHO GIVES A F***??
God damn I hate movies like that.
wumingsden
madsencarl wrote:
Both the book and film look like pieces of s***. "Oh, you're a slave, but now you're a princess, let's sit down and have a sob together whislt dressing you in stupid robes" WHO GIVES A F***??
God damn I hate movies like that.

IMHO, not mine
littlemog
well it's quite good IMO... i listened to the audio book, maybe that's a cross in between? if you are into old japanese culture, if not, something else should be better.
Garnet
I thought the book was wonderful, and the movie too, as long as you don't compare them. With the book you get a better appreciation for why on Earth she would love someone that much for getting her a snow-cone. This is one of those cases where the book has all the things she thinks about and explains and the movie cuts them out. Also if maybe you weren't satisfied with the ending of the movie, the book has a more in-depth one. Anyway I thought the book was pretty good.
glossee
my latest novel is Harry potter and the half blood prince, but havent finish it yet..im kinda busy and lazy too LOL
glossee
i heard the novel is great, really great that it was made into movie, but the movie itself didnt really hit it, it was kinda flop, i heard.
vlnjodie
I loved the novel. I felt it was an interesting view into a part of Japanese history and culture. I felt it was well written because you sympathize with her situation and understand why she goes down the path she does. The culture is so different, that her position is much more of an honor than it would be here. I haven't seen the movie yet. I'm a little afraid to because I like the book so much.
Jayfarer
Whether or not it's well written, it has some credibility/integrity issues. The author, who interviewed a famous Geisha for the information, actually invented a few situations to make the story more interesting. That, and he didn't keep her identity anonymous when asked to.

So, even if it is a good story, shady things that the author (Arthur Golden) did bother me a little.
vlnjodie
That's intersting. I had never heard about any interviews or the a wish to stay anonymous. Where did you hear about that?
roopix
the book is a must read if you've seen the movie. it's lots better than the film in my opinion.
Jayfarer
vlnjodie wrote:
That's intersting. I had never heard about any interviews or the a wish to stay anonymous. Where did you hear about that?

Wikipedia is the only site offhand that I can think of that has the information, but I initially read about it on a blog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoirs_of_a_Geisha#Controversy
misomichael
I don't know if it the controversy received much coverage outside of Japan, but within Japan it was a huge story. In fact, sales of Memoirs of a Geisha (known as Sayuri in Japan) increased very much after the lawsuit was filed. Iwasaki received many bad comments and even death threats as a result of being associated with Golden's largely negative portrayal of Sayuri's life. Iwasaki also didn't like the negative portrayal, especially as the events from her own life which inspired many of the events in the story were things which she considered to be positive experiences. Eventually, Iwasaki felt compelled to release her own autobiography to clear up some of the confusion about what was true in Golden's book and what was fiction.
vlnjodie
Is her autobiography available in English? I would be interested in reading that. I really liked Memoirs of a Geshia and it's too bad the author was such a jerk.
ExaminedLife
I have read the book twice and thought it was wonderful. I would agree though that if you are not interested in Japanese culture you should probably pick something else. It was a beautiful and well-written book and should be read by people who are willing to appreciate the work put into it.
TheGreatDalmuti
Jayfarer wrote:
Whether or not it's well written, it has some credibility/integrity issues. The author, who interviewed a famous Geisha for the information, actually invented a few situations to make the story more interesting. That, and he didn't keep her identity anonymous when asked to.

So, even if it is a good story, shady things that the author (Arthur Golden) did bother me a little.

Has anyone bothered reading the acknowledgements in the back of the book? Arthur Golden's first sentence is "Memoirs of a Geisha" is a novel and the character of Sayuri and her story are my own inventions." He goes on to state that he did extensive research about geishas and also talked to a famous one to make sure he wasn't going to look stupid. Was I the only one to read this?
Jayfarer
TheGreatDalmuti wrote:
Jayfarer wrote:

Has anyone bothered reading the acknowledgements in the back of the book? Arthur Golden's first sentence is "Memoirs of a Geisha" is a novel and the character of Sayuri and her story are my own inventions." He goes on to state that he did extensive research about geishas and also talked to a famous one to make sure he wasn't going to look stupid. Was I the only one to read this?

The famous one that he interviewed is the one that's angry with him. She disapproved of scenes in the book about selling virginity.
jyrevi
LOL! so that's not true? from what i've heard, geishas are trained entertainers, not really those that would be giving their virginity to the highest bidder Razz if i was that geisha, i would also go mad... i mean, people would look at them in a different way if that's the case....
serazat
I did not read the book I did not even see the movie. But to see a movie without reading the book doesnt count much for me.
brilliantbeauty
Teh novel is a brilliant piece of fiction, but one must remember that. It's a very emotional novel, and while I would personally feel that males would dissect its setting and the accuracy of it a tad mroe, the emotions are well-written. I'd personally say its a more female novel, but I think it is enjoyable to whoever reads it. The movie veers from the novel, but is quite good and really plays upon the powers of silence.