FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Facundo

cbf-cma
Hey has anyone out there ever read Facundo by Sarmiento? I am doing a report on it. It is supposed to be a famous novel from Latin America, but I can't find out much about it.
Ioana
cbf-cma wrote:
Hey has anyone out there ever read Facundo by Sarmiento? I am doing a report on it. It is supposed to be a famous novel from Latin America, but I can't find out much about it.

Maybe a good start to find out about it is to read it. Wink
elincinerador
facundo is about facundo quiroga, governor of buenos aires and he was murdered. the original name in spanish was "civilizacion y barbarie" but people prefered the other title and so it eventually changed... i haven't read the book but as an argentinan i am aware of that. i hope that helped
cbf-cma
Well, I actually read the book and it wasn't too bad. It gives a popular perspective of the political class in Argentina that was opposed to the dictatorship of Juan Manuel Rosas. That's interesting how famous the novel is in Argentina... I'm not suprised since Sarmiento was a progressive president in Argentina. He did however advocate stealing land from "savage" indians in the Patagonia region - what an ass!
mabuhay
I thought Facundo was written by a pompus, racist moron.