FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Zone Alarm Popup constantly

snowboardalliance
It seems like every hour or so I get this message from zone alarm:

It looks like it is something that doesn't need to be blocked, any way to stop either blocking this or just unblock it if it is safe? I am using the free version of zone alarm.
Freezon
Unblocking it should be completely safe since it is a genuine windows process that allows the dns resolving of websites. Blocking it could and probably will disable your internet connection. I have never ran into this problem constantly, I use Outpost Firewall. I would allow it in the program allow list as trusted.

Here is a quote from another forum from someone having the same problem:

Quote:
As soon as I installed Zone-alarm I discovered that SVCHOST.EXE is needed to allow access to the internet. So just go ahead and tell Zone to allways give access.

This forum has a post with many replies dealing with this EXACT situation. Although replies go back to 2002, the same issue is being stated so no worries there. Check it out if you want some more information: http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/272.html

Hope it helps,
Freezon
Animal
Actually, you don't need to unblock it. ZoneAlarm in this case is blocking access to the program from something on the internet. If it was a critical service, ZoneAlarm would unblock it by default.

Personally, I tell ZoneAlarm not to alert me of minor issues like this - it's likely to be something simple like a "ping" from another computer. It's nothing to worry about - it just means that your computer is "invisible" to the untrained hacker, and this is what prevents unauthorised access to your computer.
snowboardalliance
Animal wrote:
Actually, you don't need to unblock it. ZoneAlarm in this case is blocking access to the program from something on the internet. If it was a critical service, ZoneAlarm would unblock it by default.

Personally, I tell ZoneAlarm not to alert me of minor issues like this - it's likely to be something simple like a "ping" from another computer. It's nothing to worry about - it just means that your computer is "invisible" to the untrained hacker, and this is what prevents unauthorised access to your computer.

If I check the "do not show me this again" thing then will it only not show me those (the one in the picture) alerts?
Animal
Yes - checking the "Do not show this message again" will stop ZoneAlarm opening the pop-up warnings for all minor events like the ones shown above.

Any major event or program access requests will still open the warnings even if you do check the box.
ChrisCh
to remove all alerts except for new programs, open the ZoneAlarm main window, go to the Alerts & Logs link in the menu, and on the tab labelled "Main" switch "Alert Events Shown" to off. this will stop every annoying warning but will still prompt you when a new progrom requests access or changes since it last ran. you can then look at the security logs to see what would have normally been shown on those annoying little alerts.
z3nm4n
You can read why here: http://www.nforcershq.com/article5276.html

When it comes to it, ZoneAlarm is actually helping the hackers, not stopping them.

If you want good protection use Outpost or Kerio.