FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No Sound ;/

Stinger
Hey, recently my sound has just completely turned off. I have all the latest sound drivers, my speakers are plugged in and everything on volume control seems just fine. I am runnbing on Windows XP and this is the first hardware problem ive had. anyone know how to solve this?
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
Hey, recently my sound has just completely turned off. I have all the latest sound drivers, my speakers are plugged in and everything on volume control seems just fine. I am runnbing on Windows XP and this is the first hardware problem ive had. anyone know how to solve this?

Sure the speakers are working? Can you see a light which usually comes on? Do headphones work? If not then its probably the sound cards
Stinger
well i can hear the speakers buzzing and when i plug only the microphone part of my headset in my voice comes out of the speakers :C i was thinking about rebooting my computer see if that sorted it but if its my hardware thats not working it wouldnt make a difference :/.
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
well i can hear the speakers buzzing and when i plug only the microphone part of my headset in my voice comes out of the speakers :C i was thinking about rebooting my computer see if that sorted it but if its my hardware thats not working it wouldnt make a difference :/.

Well then it can't be the problem with the speakers as they work. What computer do you have? If you have Windows xp home edition then follow these instructions to try and fix the problem:

Go to start -> run

enter the following: C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\INSTALL_APP.EXE

On the screen that opens up choose Driver Install, then click next.

Tick the application thats music related for your PC (for example mine is Realtek Audio Driver). Its best if you have more than one then to re-install then not to do tem altogether.

Click Install, then restart your PC
Stinger
Unfortunaly for me C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\INSTALL_APP.EXE doesnt exist, i have Windows Xp Professional SP2. Ill have a brose round in my windows foler, see if ican loacat the INSTALL_APP.EXE. Thanks for you help, its amazing how quick people reply to your problems Cool
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
Unfortunaly for me C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\INSTALL_APP.EXE doesnt exist, i have Windows Xp Professional SP2. Ill have a brose round in my windows foler, see if ican loacat the INSTALL_APP.EXE. Thanks for you help, its amazing how quick people reply to your problems Cool

Its called "Application Recovery".

Quote:
Thanks for you help, its amazing how quick people reply to your problems

We're here to help, Very Happy
Animal
I had a problem with this quite recently actually - the sound wasn't working even though the volume was up and the speakers were on full.

There was obviously some software conflict that turned the "Wave" volume control down to zero - if this is at zero, I don't think many sounds will play through the computer - the Microphone setting has its own volume slider, so it could play whilst the wave setting is at zero. To double-check this:

Go to START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL
Select SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES
Under "Device Volume", click ADVANCED
Select the WAVE slider and set it to about 3/4 volume

If this has been the problem, it should fix it - it seems like a very basic step, I know, but it's always good to start with the basics! Wink

If it doesn't help, let us all know and we'll try to help further.
wumingsden
He said that the problem just started though
Animal
It "just started" with me too - that's what made me think it was some kind of software conflict. It's worth a shot at least - saves messing about with hardware settings if it's not necessary.
wumingsden
true Very Happy
darknez3
wumingsden wrote:

This can also be meant as, we're here to help and get some free hosting out of it Very Happy. Check if there is any short circuit or loose wires.
wumingsden
darknez3 wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

This can also be meant as, we're here to help and get some free hosting out of it Very Happy. Check if there is any short circuit or loose wires.

What exactly do you mean? If you mean I'm only active on the forum because of my account here then you are extremely wrong. I'm extremely active at the forum because its a great community not for the sake of points. I'm here everyday and I was signed up to the forum before even thinking about an account here.
SoftStag
In cases like this, it is usually that the main volume, or wave volume is muted or turned down in the volume properties. It is always worth checking the simple things!
Animal
SoftStag wrote:
In cases like this, it is usually that the main volume, or wave volume is muted or turned down in the volume properties. It is always worth checking the simple things!

That's not been suggested yet....

Or has it??? Shocked

Animal wrote:
I had a problem with this quite recently actually - the sound wasn't working even though the volume was up and the speakers were on full.

There was obviously some software conflict that turned the "Wave" volume control down to zero - if this is at zero, I don't think many sounds will play through the computer - the Microphone setting has its own volume slider, so it could play whilst the wave setting is at zero. To double-check this:

Go to START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL
Select SOUNDS AND AUDIO DEVICES
Under "Device Volume", click ADVANCED
Select the WAVE slider and set it to about 3/4 volume

If this has been the problem, it should fix it - it seems like a very basic step, I know, but it's always good to start with the basics! Wink

If it doesn't help, let us all know and we'll try to help further.

It's like the twilight zone or something!
Stinger
Nope unfortunalty everthings alright there so i will have to investigate even further. Some friends have suggested to me that i open up my computer and mabye clear some dust away, or check if my sound card is alright, do you think its worth a try?
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
Nope unfortunalty everthings alright there so i will have to investigate even further. Some friends have suggested to me that i open up my computer and mabye clear some dust away, or check if my sound card is alright, do you think its worth a try?

there should be a application on every pc to check wether sound cards/drivers are working properly. haven't you got a troubleshooter? On my pc if you type in a keyboard then it'll tell you how to fix it.
Stinger
Well i did the troubleshooter on control panel but everything seems in working order. Thats that application in the windows folder you were on about?
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
Well i did the troubleshooter on control panel but everything seems in working order. Thats that application in the windows folder you were on about?

So you fount it Very Happy It usually finds the problem. Is it possible for you to plug your speakers into a iPod, Mp3/cd player etc?, to 100% verify that it is the PC and not the speakers
Stinger
Well i can hear the speakers buzzing but it doesnt even worrk with a headset on. I am really confused Confused. The wierd thing is on the device manager there is not sign of a device clash Confused, everthing is in working order. However, My speakers are Sb Audigy ZS 2 but theres something else called SoundMax digital audio, i dont think that means anything though. I also downloaded a new driver recently because i had a problem with sqeeking, it was solved but i might try rolling back the driver, see what that does.
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
Well i can hear the speakers buzzing but it doesnt even worrk with a headset on. I am really confused Confused. The wierd thing is on the device manager there is not sign of a device clash Confused, everthing is in working order. However, My speakers are Sb Audigy ZS 2 but theres something else called SoundMax digital audio, i dont think that means anything though. I also downloaded a new driver recently because i had a problem with sqeeking, it was solved but i might try rolling back the driver, see what that does.

That'll probably solve it if you've not long installed it, keep us updated
Stinger
oh, im not sure if i should roll back the drives. A warning pops up saying it might jepordise my whole system lol! I might get a profesional round here to sort it out, im not at the age to be medling with things like this lol Razz
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
oh, im not sure if i should roll back the drives. A warning pops up saying it might jepordise my whole system lol! I might get a profesional round here to sort it out, im not at the age to be medling with things like this lol Razz

Its up to you, but it says that on all PC's. It's just warning you that it can go wrong. The same happens if your going to reboot your computer which is what you were going to do, weren't you? Then again I get that you don't want to step into new territory. How old are you anyways?
Stinger
lol i know your not but i cant say for safety reasons lol
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
lol i know your not but i cant say for safety reasons lol

What do you mean "i know your not". Is it your PC?
Stinger
lol sorry dont worry i got myself mixed up....im 13
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
lol sorry dont worry i got myself mixed up....im 13

And I thought that I was the youngest here! I'm 15, soon to be 16 Very Happy
Stinger
WOO! Got my sound back, all i did was reset my computer to its default settings, well can i cant rlly claim the glory, as my did it Very Happy. Hes a real computer noob aswell and it took me weeks but it only took 10 minutes for him to get it back :S Anyway i want to thank you all for your help especially Wurmingsden, thanks m8. I also got my Antivirus Software up and running again! Not bad for a 13 year old eh?Razz
wumingsden
Stinger wrote:
WOO! Got my sound back, all i did was reset my computer to its default settings, well can i cant rlly claim the glory, as my did it Very Happy. Hes a real computer noob aswell and it took me weeks but it only took 10 minutes for him to get it back :S Anyway i want to thank you all for your help especially Wurmingsden, thanks m8. I also got my Antivirus Software up and running again! Not bad for a 13 year old eh?Razz

True, I'm still surprised that we have really young people here though. I think I may start a thread about it, now I'm wondering wether you are really the youngest, and who could possibly the oldest!

I guess this this Topic Can Be Closed ?
gh0stface
Welp, seems like this issue has been resolved so I am going to lock it. If you need this topic to be reopened, PM me or any other mod. Smile

-Locked-