FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Completed project

XeononyX
Hey guys, I currently finished a project and I need some opinions to make it even better. I made / coded an internet browser. Since it has been written VB6.0 it is really an IE engine, but what I was shooting for was a different feel, bigger screen viewing area, a couple cool things that I use alot online. Like 4 home buttons. You can split your window with the html code. You can take direct .bmp snapshots from the browser itself. I didnt want to dig into XP's registry settings at all so I developed the settings, and favorites in a sterile enviroment, (.txt files in the app.path) hopefully accomplishing quicker program load time. Pretty much a no frills, quick, forum browsing friendly browser. So please at least check it out and gimme some critisim. It uses your standard setup style so it is easily removed by using add/remove program in windows control panel. I have plans for this browser (ie. making it skinnable and possibly a music player too (questionable). But I want to knock out its true function first. Thanks Xeon.

http://xeononyx.frihost.net/downloads/XeonBrowser120.zip
Daniel15
It looks OK, I saw a few problems though:

• The box on the bottom right that says how much the page has loaded sometimes goes over 100%
  • The TabOrder is completely messed up. Put focus on a button or something, and then press Tab. Notice that they tab in no particular order. To fix this, you need to change the TabOrder properties.

Otherwise, quite nice Very Happy I especially like the effect when you click the 'Address' button (with the address box coming down).

An easy way to fix the TabOrder is to install a VB addon called 'MZ Tools'. MZ-Tools is a very useful collection of tools for Visual Basic 6. It has a TabOrder wizard, as well as heaps of useful features.

Overall though, good work! Very Happy
XeononyX
Thank you very much much for the reply! You're right, im pretty notrious for forgetting the Tab Order and Ill get right on it. Also Im thinking about making some shortcut keys (like F2, and F3 opening up things) angin much appreciated for checkin it out for me. The over 100% loading box slight befuddles me, but im gettin on that too. And Im glad you like the roll down thoery to the project, I quickly realized that will be my X factor making it different from other browsers. Now, a professional opinion, If it were skinnable what things do you think you would want to be able to be skinned?
Daniel15
If you want skinning in a Visual Basic 6 project, there's a nice component at vbAccelerator called 'NeoCaption that handles all the skinning - you can even make your own skins. I don't suggest you make your own skinning engine, as that requires some fairly low-level stuff, like callbacks and subclassing.

I think you should implement tabbed browsing, it's basically standard these days.

Try and think of brand new ideas that no other browser has Very Happy
galbotrix
Could you try to make a some of these things as Firefox extensions ? I'm sorry I could not test your browser as it has purely IE typeset and I'm on linux Idea . But still would be quite interested to know about the development.

regards

Sameer
XeononyX
daniel15 wrote:
If you want skinning in a Visual Basic 6 project, there's a nice component at vbAccelerator called 'NeoCaption that handles all the skinning - you can even make your own skins. I don't suggest you make your own skinning engine, as that requires some fairly low-level stuff, like callbacks and subclassing.

I went to the website and downloaded the components but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. Maybe we can talk and figure out what I'm doing wrong if you've used it before.
Daniel15
XeononyX wrote:
daniel15 wrote:

I went to the website and downloaded the components but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. Maybe we can talk and figure out what I'm doing wrong if you've used it before.

Sorry, I can't help you much at the moment. I'm really busy, and school starts again this week.

Just download the VB6 NeoCaption Demonstration. That has a sample project which shows you how to use it. You can copy-and-paste most of the code from the sample into your program.

Make sure you add it as a Reference.