FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

C++, simple things???

sciondestiny
Hey guys,

Well I am in grade 11 of my school. This year I chose to be part of the Computer Science class and the teacher decided to teach us C++, not object oriented teh on before that lol. Sort of like the basics. Well I am finished and need to write exam lol, I know most things but I was planning on taking it next year since the teacher said he would teach us C++ Object Oriented. Now I have this problem with C++, I can do assignments no problem and all but sometimes I have to look at the notes and stuff and lessons. What is the nest way to learn it all in my mind, should I make myself do little C++ projects that make me use everything I learned or what is your help.

P.S. I do C++ the one where your code is only displayed in a DOS window lol. Also Could someone tell me what bject oriented really means, like is that done in DOS window as well or is it totally different? Thank you again!!!
RiCtee
I'm no C++ programmer, of course (usually use VB). But I read lots and lots of books, like 'Programming for Dummies' and 'Idiot's Guide to Beginning Programming'. That's how I get to know the basics.

Object-oriented programming means that you have objects and classes, rather than the traditional functions and procedures. As an example, you have an object called 'food'. And you have classes individually called 'hamburger', 'pizza', and 'sandwich'. Get the idea?? The best part is you could access the object and classes from another part of your code far, far away. There's also features like Encapsulation, Inheritance, and Polymorphism.

If you are using DOS, that's just without all those nice-looking interface.
zjosie729
I'm planning to take some kind of computer course in highschool.

What exactly is C++ and C?
kany
sciondestiny wrote:
Hey guys,
I do C++ the one where your code is only displayed in a DOS window lol. Also Could someone tell me what bject oriented really means, like is that done in DOS window as well or is it totally different? Thank you again!!!

WEll about the Dos and Windows based programming. C++ does not give you the ease in GUI [Graphical User interface ] If you want to learn windows GUI based programming then VB is your first choise then you can move to Visual c++ of Borland builder but for that aswell you need to have a detailed vision of C++ . So first learn C++ well and then move the visual c or whatever you choose.
kany
zjosie729 wrote:

What exactly , well C and then C++ are generally known as programming languages and you learn to code in these languages and simply make the computer do things what you want it to do. Got the point Wink
seanooi
zjosie729 wrote:

Well, like Kany said, they're both programming language. But aif i'm not mistaken, C++ is a sub-version of C#, meaning it's a part of C#, just easier to understand. Laughing
elcyron
sciondestiny wrote:
What is the nest way to learn it all in my mind, should I make myself do little C++ projects that make me use everything I learned or what is your help.

best way to learn is to code...
so what you might want to do is take an old boardgame and writ it in C++.
it will alsohelp you understand some ideas of object orientatied programing.

lets say you took something popular like m*n*p*ly, find out what you need to play the game. in this case it would be two sets of cards (actually three but streets are treated different in the game), a board with fields, two sets of counters for buildings.

implement these elements as classes, give them methods to do the stuff they do (draw,discard, provide money,cost money,send to jail, free from jail)

for some time you'll find yourself learning a lot faster then by reading manuscripts
sciondestiny
zjosie729 wrote:

C++ is the language after C. It is made much easier than C and is more english than C you could say. That is basic diference, and I think C++ is a bit stronger!!!
elekis
begin by c++ . with c is old and you pass most of time to found opverflow.

if object are freak for you do linear c++ (without class polymorphism, inheritance, etc..etC..etC..) it's the same than c but vector string, cout in more.

a+++
headlong
Can you do a google before you post any message here? Otherwise everybody will reply to you and earn points.
sciondestiny
headlong wrote:
Can you do a google before you post any message here? Otherwise everybody will reply to you and earn points.

lol, Was that aimed at me or the user who asked for the difference between C and C++???
RiCtee
Quote:

If you want to start programming, I recommend that you try Visual Basic (or equivalent). It's more easier to get a grip on the basics of programming. After that, only go to the more advanced language like C++.
arch23
zjosie729 wrote:

C++ is A high level language, as opposed to assembler which is a low-level language. The relative altitude is referenced to how “close” the language instructions of the language are to the native instructions of the chip, otherwise known as opcodes.
C++ is object-oriented programming (OOP) language that is viewed by many as the best language for creating large-scale applications. C++ is a superset of the C language.
Both of the languages are powerfull, as they let the user access the OS memory. There are eaiser langiages to learn and understand the oop principles like Java.
mialynavahy
i have studied c++ and java, and i prefer c++ (for real time programming),
yes, c++ is an object oriented programming,you have classes, (you can make panels, windows, GUI... ), it's difficult but it's possible and you can make games, (http://www.programmersheaven.com/zone8/cat121/)
difference between c and c++ : C++ was designed to be a low-level platform-neutral object-oriented programming language. C# was designed to be a somewhat higher-level component-oriented language
mj_loc_nl
sciondestiny wrote:
Hey guys,

Well I am in grade 11 of my school. This year I chose to be part of the Computer Science class and the teacher decided to teach us C++, not object oriented teh on before that lol. Sort of like the basics. Well I am finished and need to write exam lol, I know most things but I was planning on taking it next year since the teacher said he would teach us C++ Object Oriented. Now I have this problem with C++, I can do assignments no problem and all but sometimes I have to look at the notes and stuff and lessons. What is the nest way to learn it all in my mind, should I make myself do little C++ projects that make me use everything I learned or what is your help.

P.S. I do C++ the one where your code is only displayed in a DOS window lol. Also Could someone tell me what bject oriented really means, like is that done in DOS window as well or is it totally different? Thank you again!!!

About OO programming in C++ please check this website: http://www.zib.de/Visual/people/mueller/Course/Tutorial/tutorial.html

You will find a lot of information. About how you can learn C coding by hart. Well there is only one way to do this and that is coding, coding and coding. After a while coding C will come very natural to you. All the languages I use I learned to do by working with them a lot….. The best way is to get yourself a project so you have something to finish.

If you think it is fun you can take a look at opensource software and try to change some things in it. You will have a lot of examples to work with… Find a opensource program written in C and download the source. You can try to improve the code and learn from this. If you think your change is good you have to send it to the original programmer so everyone can benefit from this.

That is the idea behind opensource Wink
mj_loc_nl
RiCtee wrote:
Quote:

If you want to start programming, I recommend that you try Visual Basic (or equivalent). It's more easier to get a grip on the basics of programming. After that, only go to the more advanced language like C++.

I am sorry to say but I totally disagree with you on this one. Starting with VB is in my opinion NOT a good start. You can better start with a language like C even do it will be some harder to learn you will get a better grip of learning to code.

If you know C you can easily learn VB the other way around is a lot harder….

But he that is my opinion Wink
RiCtee
mj_loc_nl wrote:
I am sorry to say but I totally disagree with you on this one. Starting with VB is in my opinion NOT a good start. You can better start with a language like C even do it will be some harder to learn you will get a better grip of learning to code.

I'm not trying to start a quarrel here, but I still think I'm right Angel . I understand the need for learning an easier language first from my personal experience. I actually started programming after reading a C++ book from my father's bookshelf, that was years ago. At that time I had no idea what's going on, all those mumbo-jumbo. When my dad saw that I have the interest, he started teaching me VB instead. From there, I learned the basics and gone a long way since. I'm sure other people agree with me, right?? Anxious
grantmaster
Yeah, skip the VB cr@p. It's a microsoft disaster waiting to happen. You might want to ask why Windows is written in C++ and not one of thier proprietary BS programming languages (what did happen to activeX?).

IMHO Go with Open Source, which has a very rich repository of code samples and well developed classes. It also has some very full featured GUI environments available for free. C++ was invented on Unix/Linux!

Translation: Set up Linux on a computer (it can be windoze, if windoze is on there first) Download or install all of the C++ options, there are many. Check out the various GUI's and Integrated Developement Environments (IDE's). Code, and then Code some more.

I hope that your teacher is teaching you all of the facets of software programming. There are many things that need to be completed before you ever write a single line of code! Otherwise you will waste much time in the re-write.

As always, make a backup of your hard drive before beginning something like a Linux install, and post back here with any questions. If it's a production computer like your personal PC, you might consider just hooking up a spare hard drive, instead of partitioning for Linux...
ShatteredGlass
To help with memorization, write out psuedocode first. After you can get down exactly what the program needs to do, try converting the best you can into C++ language. You'll soon find that it's actually remarkable similar to english, if you look at it from a wide perspective.
Blademasters
RiCtee wrote:
mj_loc_nl wrote:

I'm not trying to start a quarrel here, but I still think I'm right Angel . I understand the need for learning an easier language first from my personal experience. I actually started programming after reading a C++ book from my father's bookshelf, that was years ago. At that time I had no idea what's going on, all those mumbo-jumbo. When my dad saw that I have the interest, he started teaching me VB instead. From there, I learned the basics and gone a long way since. I'm sure other people agree with me, right?? Anxious

I have to agree with RiCtee. IMO if you know little or nothing about programming it is better to start with an easier language like VB to grasp the concepts of programming. You wont learn C by learning VB but you will understand the concepts of programming and C will be easier to get.
Squid75
Here is some real help for programing.

I've used this site (www.3dbuzz.com) for multiple uses such as OOP. (Object Oriented Programing). I needed to do a little coding in UT. This site did the trick and helped me out real quick.

OOP is used for Unreal Tournament and other popular games. 3Dbuzz could help you get your feet wet in that department. They also have training in other stuff like C++, VB I think, 3DsMax, pluss more. Hope that site helps
thiamshui
hey, i'm taking a similar course.. itz called 'computing' here.. i'm being trained on C++ basics and they will move on to OOP in year 2.. i hav no idea though.. Sad