FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website layout

yokonative
I have a quick question. What do you all belive is the best layout for a webpage?, as in use frames, or divs or tables? I knoe that frames are a great tool, lowering the files you need and file size, however, they do look a little unsightly. So, whaty do you all belive is th ebest thing?
pevensie
Personally, I always use divs. Frames can get troublesome, and if you use PHP includes and an external stylesheet you can have pretty small files. If you like the look of i-frames you can use an autoscrolling div, which actually looks really cool.
As for tables, they just cause problems when you resize windows and juggle text and...they can get to be a pain. Wink Divs offer a lot more flexibility then either of the other options, in my opinion.
yokonative
hey thanks for the input. i like the outlook on your part, and man..can i say that, that was insanely fast? i JUST posted this and allready you replied....the power of the internet..anywas thanks again
Shunnup
pevensie wrote:
Personally, I always use divs. Frames can get troublesome, and if you use PHP includes and an external stylesheet you can have pretty small files. If you like the look of i-frames you can use an autoscrolling div, which actually looks really cool.
As for tables, they just cause problems when you resize windows and juggle text and...they can get to be a pain. Wink Divs offer a lot more flexibility then either of the other options, in my opinion.

I agree with the divs. Much more reliable as in placement. Frame can be a hassle and it places not exactly depending on the browser people are using. If you must use a frame than do an iframe.

As for tables, you can't really get rid of it. Actually, you pretty much always need tables. Just use less if it's a pain.

Your best bet is to use CSS styles. Well that's just my opinion.
ion.52
I think you can't say it like that. It really depends on the 'total' design.
Flash layouts usually don't really need things like that.
GB
I started out with frames, but they are very bad for a number of reasons. Then I started using tables, and those are much better than frames, but still have problems. Now I'm using CSS styles to create fluid tables that resize with the user's browser size.

I've never used flash, mostly because it takes a long time to download, many people turn it off while surfing the web, it is not search engine friendly, and it costs a lot of money.
Rhysige
Divs can be used for major placement of sections and inside the sections tables can be used. I prefer not placing divs inside tables since it gets messy.
WebSiteGuru
div is the good thing to use. It typically good because it default to 100% width in most cases. Dont use frame if you dont need to. It harder to use and when search engine looks through your site that use frame. It doesnt like it that much.
LukeakaDanish
I like doing designs with (i)frame(s) and DIVs, but i guess i'm gonna start using PHP include, seen as i finally was bothered to learn php a couple of months ago...

I strongly recomend NOT using tables...

Reasons why they suck:

You can never be shure what they are going to look like in your users browser

Editing them is dificult because the content wont be placed in a logical order in the HTML file

File sizes for documents with large amounts of table tags, are usually rather big

The future of the internet is CSS DIVs

However if you insist of using tables for something they where never meant for (layout), i recomend using CSS for attributes and doing extensive testing of what your page looks like in different pages!

Luke
aningbo
i dont prefer div...just because they create so much of problem when viewing in another browser from another. there's usually a slight changes in every browser. of course not all of them and sometimes evrything may go wrong by a little chage in div. lol

how about frames.... this is the worst method, dont ever try it...lol

tables.... yeah i prefer using tables but yes, i dont mean to say table's the best but you have to maintain the luks of your page and its just not the code that your design luks superb, but its the design.
NewGuyinTown
I like tables the best. Frames are the worst with the exception of iframes. Already mentioned, there are browser issues with div.
LukeakaDanish
There may be minor issues with Divs, but with tables, it will look different every time you load it almost!

With divs and position: absolute, you can achieve an almost constant appearance across browsers
Dragate
That's true.. but I presonally love iframes and don't know why they look unslightly to you... Try iframes... they are awesome
aningbo
i frames r gud only for shoutbox i suppose. i dont need to use them anyway except for some exceptitional cases like -

i uses iframes at http://ncfpulse.tk which i use to update the whole site by just updating the iframe without actually updating every page... lol.

its created for a lazy ones who doesn't have php, asp, or cgi support... lol
burningjacks
frames are nice if you know what your doing...but if your site has a lot of traffic then i suggest not using them because some peoples browsers dont support them.i use tables....what exactly is a DIV? and how can i use them?
Arnie
If PHP is available my preference goes to a table structure using include. Otherwise a nice frameset is good.
Zach Ownz
I have been using <iframes> and everyone tells me to use <DIV> so, idk... but does anyone know how to change the BG in an IFRAME?
burningjacks
Quote:
but does anyone know how to change the BG in an IFRAME?

there is no background in a frame....the frame just displays an already existing page...so the only way to change a background in the frame is to change the background on the page that is displaying...i believe you can change the bordercolor....but i ussually just get rid of the borders, i dont think they look nice...
so ya if you wanted the frame to be like invisible on your page homepage....and the page is blue..... well then just make a blank page that same blue color and send it to the frame. if you need more help let me know.
Zach Ownz
duh, why am i so stupid... Confused
solarex
pevensie wrote:

nice axplenation.

i use several methods to make web layouts. otherwise i follow tutorials Very Happy
aningbo
Zach Ownz wrote:
I have been using <iframes> and everyone tells me to use <DIV> so, idk... but does anyone know how to change the BG in an IFRAME?

burning jack has pointed out of what to do, i guess u r on by now.But if you need the coding to be done and still has a problem, u can PM with your code.
demolaynyc
So far, I've been using tables and for my photoshop layouts. But after checking out this thread, i'm curious to how is it possible to use css to manipulate divs. Can someone show me a sample code or how they would use the two in a combination? That would help me a lot. Thx
LukeakaDanish
demolaynyc wrote:
So far, I've been using tables and for my photoshop layouts. But after checking out this thread, i'm curious to how is it possible to use css to manipulate divs. Can someone show me a sample code or how they would use the two in a combination? That would help me a lot. Thx

Sample code:

Code:

<div style="position: absolute; left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 200px; height: 600px; z-index: 1;">

<!--This is where all the content you want in the above descripbed position goes-->

</div>

If you dont understand this, just ask me to explain it propperly...
n-myster
i think the best thing to use in diffrent lists such as

logins
charts
or anything relly i always use the <fieldset> tag
nuikku
You must do your pages that style what you can. maybe divs is versatilest but if you don't be able to learn it.. then do it like you can better... oh really Laughing