FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Power of Punctuation! - u'll like it.

k_s_baskar
Power of Punctuation!

An English professor wrote the words:

"A woman without her man is nothing"

on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly..

All of the males in the class wrote:

"A woman, without her man, is nothing."

All the females in the class wrote:

"A woman, without her, man is nothing."

Punctuation is really powerful.
otiscom
Yes, the English language is indeed interesting.

I sometimes think some of those using this forum could do with training in it!
madsencarl
I believe this was already posted in the jokes section. And although you're trying to get puncuation across, try to learn to spell properly.
nam_siddharth
madsencarl wrote:
I believe this was already posted in the jokes section. And although you're trying to get puncuation across, try to learn to spell properly.

Puncuation or Punctuation?
Look at dictionary first, comment later. Arrow
a.Bird
nam_siddharth wrote:
madsencarl wrote:

Nice contribution to his ideas.
madsencarl
nam_siddharth wrote:
madsencarl wrote:

Clearly, it's a typo. Clearly, the guy who made this topic doesn't even care about his spelling.
n0obie4life
madsencarl, it's very obvious with this post he made recently
madsencarl
n0obie4life wrote:
madsencarl, it's very obvious with this post he made recently

He's talking about words with the first and last latter in place. "u" does not follow that. Any bets he'll change it and then everyone will flame me.
jamesmackle
Back to the subject, yes this is an interesting comment/joke. We should all bask in the glory that is the English language.

What I don't like is lots of pc programes have the American flag next to the "English" option on language choice. I imagine it's because if they had the corerct flag (The Union Flag, often incorrectly referred to as the Union Jack) most helpdesks would be overhelmed with stupid Americans not knowing which option to chose. Rant over! sorry to hijack post!
theo
HAHA
interesting huh
avk
See!!
Punctuations are really powerful .

Thanks to English language.
darknez3
This is a very dumb thread, something a person, desperate for points woulf write. English is a very archaic and primitive language, and as "interesting" as it may be i'm quite sure that 100% of languages HAVE punctuation. You must be in kindergarten to discover such a redundant find, now please NO MORE STUPID POSTS like this post or "everything is zero", "zero defined", god damnit scientists and philosophers already proved these theories.

P.S. How many points did you get off that post k_s_baskar? Have enough line skipping for full 5 points?

P.S2. These kind of posts allow people to NOT contribute at all and still get cheep points.
Soulfire
I am in the 10th grade and we are on our Chapter 14 in our English books. It just so happens to be punctuation! It is sort of neat how just placing a comma in different places in the sentences can change the entire meaning, be careful all you writers!
windrei
k_s_baskar wrote:
Power of Punctuation!

An English professor wrote the words:

"A woman without her man is nothing"

on the chalkboard and asked his students to punctuate it correctly..

All of the males in the class wrote:

"A woman, without her man, is nothing."

All the females in the class wrote:

"A woman, without her, man is nothing."

Punctuation is really powerful.

haha, i have never thought of it. i only take the man's way. Thank you for sharing !!
a.Bird
darknez3 wrote:
This is a very dumb thread, something a person, desperate for points woulf write. English is a very archaic and primitive language, and as "interesting" as it may be i'm quite sure that 100% of languages HAVE punctuation. You must be in kindergarten to discover such a redundant find, now please NO MORE STUPID POSTS like this post or "everything is zero", "zero defined", god damnit scientists and philosophers already proved these theories.

P.S. How many points did you get off that post k_s_baskar? Have enough line skipping for full 5 points?

P.S2. These kind of posts allow people to NOT contribute at all and still get cheep points.

And how many points did you get off of that post? Why are you so concerned about how people achieve points? Don't give me shit about forum ethics, obviously if this is a serious enough problem, the moderators will deal with it. You actually broke a rule.

"b. Back-seat moderating is not allowed. If you witness someone break a rule or you think he did, please send a private message to a moderator or administrator containing a link to the offending post or topic.
Do not reply to the offending post or topic and attempt to handle the situation yourself. If you attempt to handle the situation yourself, a warning might be given.
" If you care to familiarize yourself with the rules, you may click here.
Nameless
a.Bird wrote:
darknez3 wrote:

And how many points did you get off of that post? Why are you so concerned about how people achieve points? Don't give me **** about forum ethics, obviously if this is a serious enough problem, the moderators will deal with it. You actually broke a rule.

"b. Back-seat moderating is not allowed. If you witness someone break a rule or you think he did, please send a private message to a moderator or administrator containing a link to the offending post or topic.
Do not reply to the offending post or topic and attempt to handle the situation yourself. If you attempt to handle the situation yourself, a warning might be given.

Hypocrisy hits you for 153 damage.

On topic, though, anybody here read the book "Eats, shoots, and leaves?"
It was about stuff like that.
a.Bird
Nameless wrote:
a.Bird wrote:
darknez3 wrote:

And how many points did you get off of that post? Why are you so concerned about how people achieve points? Don't give me **** about forum ethics, obviously if this is a serious enough problem, the moderators will deal with it. You actually broke a rule.

My point wasn't so much that he was breaking any rules as much as it was that he is far too concerned with how members are doing their jobs as contributers to this forum. What's more, he is contributing just as much as the original poster, and just as much as I am for responding to it. However it's up to a moderator to decide whether or not it should fly. Thank you for your concern in the matter.
jamesmackle
Nameless wrote:
a.Bird wrote:
darknez3 wrote:

Hahaha hypocrisy again... oops I've just done it too!
Davidgr1200
In Swedish we have a similar problem with combinig words. For example: the word for nurse could be sickworker. But if you write it as two words (sick worker) it takes on a different meaning. In Swedish it is often important not to put in the space which would be there in English.
Platform
Yes it is, this applies to many other languages as well..

It is very cool though...
teamkr
Punctuation marks are signals to your readers. In speaking, we can pause, stop, or change our tone of voice. I

n writing, we use the following marks of punctuation to emphasize and clarify what we mean.

Punctuation marks discussed in other OWL documents include commas, apostrophes, quotation marks, and hyphens.

im so lazy when it comes to punctuation.. i mean as long as the other person understands what you are saying ?

i have a friend who is a journilst and my e-mails drive her mad through poor grammar and punctuation

hehe

oh well

me
thiamshui
LOL.. punctuation can really create a joke if u are not careful..

For example: A bear eats shoots and leaves.
If we add extra punctuation marks, it will be: A bear eats, shoots and leaves.