FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Prime Minister in Canada

Soltair
Yesterday, 10:07 eastern time, Bernard de Rome announced on Radio-Canada that the conservative party of Canada and their chief, Stephen Harper, were elected as the new governement of Canada, but with a minority of the sieges in Ottawa. Out of 308 counties, they've got 124, ten of them beeing in Quebec (surprisingly) where the BQ, the party which is trying to represent Quebec at the federal level, wanted to get over 60 sieges and got only 51. For their part, the former leading Liberal party got 103 sieges, while the NPD got a great total of 29 places in the parliament. There was one independant deputy elected in the Beauport county, in Quebec. So this makes PCC 124, PLC 103, BQ 51, NPD 29, IND 1.

What does those numbers mean now, is that the Conservators of Harper just took about the same place as the minoritary Liberals of the last governement. The proportion between the two parties is inverted (from +-120/100 to 103/124). NPD gained 5 counties, which will most likely make Jack Leighton, the party's chief, quite happy, altought he was aiming for 44 sieges (which was quite utopic). Gilles Duceppe, chief of the BQ, must have had a bit of a cold shower, as he was hoping for 5 to 10 more sieges and probably around 7-8% more votes during the suffrage.

Paul Martin, former chief of the Liberals, announced yesterday that he would resign as chief of the Liberal party and deputy of his county. So here are the actual questions.

1. Who will be the next chief of the Liberal party?
2. Will the Conservators of Harper be a more honest governement than the one of the Liberals?
3. Will the conservators be able to do some right-orientated politics or will their minority statute block them?
4. Will the BQ try to negociate or simply be opposed?
5. Will the BQ and the liberal parties, old ennemies, work together against the conservators?
6. How long will the new governement stand until defeated? Which party will be elected next?

Some action, indeed, on the Canadian political scene.
Soulfire
Isn't Canada mostly liberal? Anyways, yay for the Canadians!
Marston
We were, until the Nazi Party (aka. the Conservatives) won the fourth Reich (aka. the federal election) yesterday. Dieses ist mein Kampf Rolling Eyes.
sciondestiny
Hey guys I am Canadian, and believe me I know a lot of people who are not happy about this. Martson like you said we are screwed in otehr owrds. These guys are like the American government meaning conservative and that means we will get private health care:

There are some people who still do not have OHIP or health care at all, are they insane???

They say they will lower taxes, I woul not be surprised if they highered them. I mean people this is where their salary come from our taxes!!!

Next they will mot probably send an army to go in and fight every country with America, I do not think Canadians want to be hated like some other countries are (Which I will not name).

in other words, I do not know what Canadians were thinking!!! But lets us see how the government works out I mean we had a liberla government for 12 years straight and of all Paul Trudeau was the best if you ask me!!!

Funny though why Paul Martin has quit though, what are Liberals planning on doing. It would be nice if Trudeaus son got into politics and became deputy lol!!! Never knwo could happen, I mean conservatives just won did they not?
Soltair
Conservatives won this election after a series of political manoeuvres, based on the many scandals of the Liberals and on the weakness of other parties. I'm not pro-conservative, I'm more of a lefter... But objectively, the Conservatives represent what many Canadians want: the alternance of two major governements from an election to the other (Liberal and Conservative), as it was before the end of Mulroney in the late 80s. Funny tough to see that the conservative of Mulroney left with so many scandals one couldn't count them anymore, and that now the Liberals were defeated for kind of the same reasons.

One of the potential chiefs of the Liberal party is worse than more Conservative regarding right positions. For instance, he's for Irak war and a form of torture, and these are just examples. If the Liberals put this man at their head, they'll loose my confidence in them.

As for PET's son beeing in politics, this is highly unlikely... he keeps saying he won't go politician. Rolling Eyes
sciondestiny
True, I believe lol that one of Canada's worst years was when Mulroney was in power. I mean who would do soemthing as stupid as the free trade seriously? Unless he got soemthign out of it. And all the other scandals he had. As for Paul Martin I did not think that was a wise choice to put for deputy leader of Liberals, but this new guy you are talking about will only mean one thing. Than there might be an alliance with Conservatives and Liberals. Since this guy does have the same ideas, but we will see. Oh when do the Conservatives have to make an alliance though?
Marston
sciondestiny wrote:
but this new guy you are talking about will only mean one thing. Than there might be an alliance with Conservatives and Liberals. Since this guy does have the same ideas, but we will see. Oh when do the Conservatives have to make an alliance though?
Clearly, you've been misinformed. The Conservatives (nazis), and the Liberals (street-crooks) are worlds apart, both in idealism, and in attitude. The Conservatives and the Liberals will never form an alliance.

Ever.
jaysen
It doesn't matter much either way... i have a feeling we may get screwed one way or the other, its just the positions that change...

hopefully we get some soft music and a good meal this time before getting screwed tho
Marston
jaysen wrote:
It doesn't matter much either way... i have a feeling we may get screwed one way or the other, its just the positions that change...

hopefully we get some soft music and a good meal this time before getting screwed tho
Laughing
Soltair
Marston wrote:
The Conservatives (nazis), and the Liberals (street-crooks) are worlds apart, both in idealism, and in attitude.

Ooooh, calm down. Let's keep exageration out of here, mkay Wink ?
nealio1000
who cares?
Soltair
Well... those 36% canadians that voted for the conservatives, and others like me that think it might not be the best choice but that it is what we've got, so we'll have to get along with that until the next elections.

Harper is not Bush... and the systems are so different.
Marston
nealio1000 wrote:
who cares?
Ahh, voter apathy Rolling Eyes.

@ Soltair: I'm aware that Harper is not Bush, but Harper does sympathize with alot of the American government's causes, which is not good. Do we want to be going to war all the time? Sending the young men and women of the army into fights where we don't belong? Do we want to be sticking our noses where the don't belong (like the American gov't does), and force countries to exact revenge upon us, like with 9/11 in the states?

I think not. There's many more reasons why Harper is bad news for Canada... Sad
Soltair
Well, for now Harper is minoritary, so odds are he won't be able to do any of these things. The problem is not conservatives, it's the alliancists. For those of you who do not know, about two decades ago, the conservative party left with tons of scandals. They divided in two parts, the conservatives and the alliancists. Even if they lost most of their credibility back then, they had their ideas... and alliancists were a lot more to the right than the conservatives. Now both of these parties are back together, with the consequence that the alliancists have more power than before. How this will all be worked in the future will however stay unpredictable.