FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I'm going to try out linux

sgwreviews
Is there anything I should know?
I'm now downloading a 3 disk version of linux,
does an installation start automatically if I boot with the cd in it?
mschnell
I'd say that should work if your computer can boot from a disk and you put them all onto disks before starting. What distribution are you planning on using? There are people here that could help you with choosing a good one. I've only used RedHat because that's what my school offers.
ripdajacker
I am currently running SuSE Linux 10.0, that's a very good distro especially for the linux newbie. It's graphical, everything has a gui and it's stable as I don't know what.

I would highly recommend it but you should wait a week until 10.1 is released. It's a 5cd distro, the installation is graphical.

It's easy to update, easy to maintain due to the gui implementation of almost everything. Other distros you could find intresting are Mandriva, Fedora Core and Debian, but I recommend SuSE or mandriva because debian can get technical and I just don't like fedora.
desertwind
Welcome to the adventorous and fun-filled world of gnu/linux. Welcome to the Creme de la reme of OSs.

What distro are you downloading now ? If you are extremely new to linux, i'd suggest you to try some Live Cds like ubuntu, knoppix etc.

And yes, the installation will start automatically (in almost all cases) when you pop the cd in.

And do post your experiences and problems here. There is a hell of a community here to help you.

MonkeyWrench wrote:
linux is very complicated no?

LOL, not anymore. Even my granny can now work on it.
prash
#1. Linux is not complicated.. its simply a matter of getting used to

#2 Linux is not magic land.... you simply cannot become a geek overnight by switching over to linux.. but hey since you are up to at least installing linux, you still got a chance Wink

#3 Linux is not the only Open Source Operating System. There are various alternatives like the BSDs (FreeBSD, NetBSD,OpenBSD), GNU/Hurd, etc

#4 there are various flavours of Linux.. for e.g.:

#a Suse
#b Ubuntu
#c Fedora / Red Hat
#d Gentoo
#e Slackware
waiteck
You can try out Damn Small Linux at only 50Mb which can fit in a pen drive or in a small disc. Check out this webpage http://www.damnsmalllinux.org
slopestyle
I too like Damn Small Linux, i've got it running on my xbox at home.

Also check out "linspire" www.linspire.com this is very similar to windows so not too much of a learning curve but with all the benifits of linux.

Magazine cover cd's are also a good place to find "live" distro's
sgwreviews
I'm going to install ubuntu tonight, or mandrake 10.1.
I'll check out the other ones you've mensioned later, thanks for your reactions.
SirDuncan
hi,

for testing, you could try Knoppix, it's a LiveCD whit a linux instalation ready for use, you download the image, burn the cd and boot your pc.

It's useful for testing the graphics desktop, the console, even some services available in linux. The other thing is that you don't have to install any thing on your machine because the whole Knoppinx sistem runs from the CD.

When you have been tried it, you can choose another distro for installing, like Fedora, Debian .. etc.

the address is:
http://www.knoppix.org/
ericbobson
I'm thinking of switching to Linux too...I'm annoyed with microsoft and I want to try something new...

Could anyone suggest a good distribution for me? I want it to be fully functional and I have no restrictions in terms of disk space etc.

Ericbobson
desertwind
There's a hell of distros available.

If you're a complete n00b to linux, try some Live distros for playing around for a week or so, learn up basic things without damaging any hdd datas. I suggest ubuntu or knoppix for this.

If you want a full fledged distro installed on your computer, I'll suggest you Fedora Core 4 or OpenSuse 10.

In both cases, the former one uses gnome and latter one use kde as their default desktop environments.
sgwreviews
I've now tested ubuntu, i've installed it on an older PC I got somewhere, its with an AMD 1700+ with 128MB ram (going to have 192 this evening)
when I tested it, it was rather slow, (i also have slow hard disk at the moment) is it because of my system or is linux a bit slower in startin up programs?
elekis
if you have time you can download ubuntu here. it's free but it's not for today
https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

a++
PADRE[P.S.]
ripdajacker wrote:
I am currently running SuSE Linux 10.0, that's a very good distro especially for the linux newbie. It's graphical, everything has a gui and it's stable as I don't know what.

I would highly recommend it but you should wait a week until 10.1 is released. It's a 5cd distro, the installation is graphical.

It's easy to update, easy to maintain due to the gui implementation of almost everything. Other distros you could find intresting are Mandriva, Fedora Core and Debian, but I recommend SuSE or mandriva because debian can get technical and I just don't like fedora.

SuSE is good enough for advanced users too i like it most of all.
pixelperfect
Hey,
Whatever anyone tells u about linux, ITS GREAT. Its absoluty fantastic, i use it perminantly.

In my opinion Ubuntu is one of the best flavours, not only is it a good os, it has a very reliable community so if you have any problems your assured to get help.

Ubuntu supports many pcs, even including mac and 64bit proccessors, u can order free cds of there website.

IF your unsure about Ubuntu, why not do a dual OS on your hardrive, with ubuntu it has an inbuilt partition manager installer, so u are guareteed that it will not damage existing OS's. Better still it installs a grub loader, where you can select what os you want to load up at startup.

i advise u STRONGLY to use Ubuntu and join thousands of people.

if ya have any quieres about ubuntu or linux just pm message me.
desertwind
sgwreviews wrote:
I've now tested ubuntu, i've installed it on an older PC I got somewhere, its with an AMD 1700+ with 128MB ram (going to have 192 this evening)
when I tested it, it was rather slow, (i also have slow hard disk at the moment) is it because of my system or is linux a bit slower in startin up programs?

Thats because you're using heavyweight desktop environments like gnome/kde. As far as your system is concerned, it is suggested to use a light weight DE like XFCE, IceWM, or Enlightenment.
ripdajacker
I still recommend SuSE. I do that because of the simple installer, the gui configs, the HUGE package amount included and now there's apt available for it Smile

Ubuntu is good, but when it comes to KDE ubuntu doesn't come close to SuSE.

I, like Linus himself, recommend KDE especially for windows emigrants due to the fairly simple windows-like taskbar/KMenu..
SenseiC
waiteck wrote:
You can try out Damn Small Linux at only 50Mb which can fit in a pen drive or in a small disc. Check out this webpage http://www.damnsmalllinux.org

There are a wide number of Linux distos out there. Probably one for every computer on the 'net Smile

That being said, there are a few that are clearly "feature rich".

My personal favorites are Fedora Core (FC4) and FreeBSD.

Damn Small Linux is a really nice 'little number' that is designed specifically to fit on "business card" CDRs (i.e. it is required to be under 50 MB). The destributed ISO is a bootable image that when put in a PC that supports booting from the CD drive, gives you a nice 'test drive' w/o the hassle of installation and configuration.

An equivalent that has considerably more bells, horns and whistles and is what DSL is based on is called Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/) and "...includes recent linux software and desktop environments, with programs such as OpenOffice.org, Abiword, The Gimp, Konqueror, Mozilla, Apache, PHP, MySQL and hundreds of other quality open source programs." Now this one is DEFINITELY NOT a small distribution. It is one VERY FULL CD image, then again it's got the kitchen sink with half the plumbing still attached.

Unix can be a fun and frustrating thing. Then again so is owning a '68 GTO.

Then again some really neat things have come as a result of Linux. If you've got an old "clunker" PC laying around, you might want to check out this little darling: http://m0n0.ch/wall/

That's a very nice stateful packet inspection firewall... based on FreeBSD... and under 5 MB. That, a blank CDR (or more entertaining a CF card), an old PC and two NICs makes for a very nice barricade to hide yourself and your computers behind.

SenseiC
darth_pyro
Welcome to linux! The main difference (besides being open-source) IMHO between linux in windows is that linux does not hold your hand. By "hold your hand" I mean that in windows to install something, you put the CD in the drive, and it guides you through a series of windows where you click "next", and it's ready to go. Most linux users like to control the way things are done on their computer, so linux does not do most things for you! Thankfully, linux is MUCH more well documented than windows is. Here are some nifty links that will hopefully help you get started:

The Linux Documentation Project
http://www.tldp.org/tldp-redirect.php?url=/

JustLinux Forums (for linux newbies and such)
http://www.justlinux.com/

Linux Google (If you're having a problem, copy and paste the error in here and someone else probably has the problem and a solution)

http://www.google.com/linux

Last, but certainly not least, don't forget about man pages!
In a console window, if you aren't sure what command you need to use, use "apropos", like:
Code:
apropos word

where word is a word that has to do with what you want to do

Once you know the command, use, man, like:
Code:
man command

and you will be able to view the manual for the command. You can press 'q' to quit the manual.
Good luck!
enigmamkp
Linux good choise for you.Its alternative.I use Knoppix,Suse and Mandrake.But if you are a game maniac linux doesnt satisfy you.But PS2 emulator created for users.I try it and its good.