FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help me out on advertisements in forum....

satheesh
Hi,

I am putting up a forum in my website provided by YaBB.... I have to place the advertisements provided by Google on to the pages of my forum (like the advertisements given in Frihost between post and replies etc). How to get these advertisements in the new posts like the way its happening in Frihost.

Now if someone posts a new topic in my website I want to get the advertisements on the pages they post the new topic on my website. Please tell me how these things are done.

I would also like to know the various avenues of online advertising like Chitika etc.... Now Google is paying in Cost per click but I am in the dark as to how its being calculated. I cant expect everyone who visits my site to click on the website (normally no one does). I would like to have something like Pay per impressions on your page or something similar.

Please someone help as to how these things are done in your forums. I expect Bondings to help me out or anyone of the Moderators. Please do it.

Thanks and regards,
Satheesh
n0obie4life
YaBB works differently from phpBB. You'll be better asking on the YaBB Support Forum.

I think Bondings can't tell you what to do for YaBB either.
clip
now that you've asked it, how do you actually do it on phpBB anyway? Question I wasn't gonna ask this until I actually sign up for AdSense, but well,
Bondings
clip wrote:
now that you've asked it, how do you actually do it on phpBB anyway? Question I wasn't gonna ask this until I actually sign up for AdSense, but well,

There is a mod/hack for it, either in the phpbb or in the phpbbhacks database or in the mods/hacks forum of phpbb. Just search for it on google. Here is a short one I found:
http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=5683

satheesh, I have no knowledge of yabb at all. An advice, never ask people to click on your ads.
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
satheesh, I have no knowledge of yabb at all. An advice, never ask people to click on your ads.

Yeah, if you tell people to click the ads, and Google (or whoever your ad networks is) finds out, they'll terminate your account, and you don't get any of the money.

I don't think anyone knows about YaBB (you mean the Perl one, right? Or YaBB SE, the PHP one?). If you're using YaBB 1, then beware, it's full of security holes.

Anyway, if you like YaBB so much, you should try SMF. It's the next version of YaBB (development of YaBB was discontinued in favour of SMF):
Quote:

The team that has brought you YaBB SE has moved on to develop the next evolution in forum software, SMF. We have rebranded ourselves under the name Simple Machines and continue to strive to release the best free forum software out there and are ready to compete with products of the commercial caliber. To learn more about SMF please visit the Simple Machines website.

(http://www.yabbse.org/yse_history.html)
They've got an upgrade script to make it easy to upgrade. Just download SMF 1.0.5, and run the YaBB --> SMF upgrade script (available from the download page under 'Tools').
satheesh
Hi,

Thanks to all the moderators and to everyone for replying to my query. I went through all the links provided to me in reply to my query but still am in the dark.

One more thing is that I would never ask the users to y forum to click on the ads. I was just mentioning it of sort, thts all....

Maybe Bondings can you say how thse advertisements are put up in your forum. How is it that every time that we post on a new topic we get advertisements from Google ads, related to the contents of it.

If you dont mind can you share it with us. i would be very much thankful to you. Have you included the google ads into some sort of template for all the new posts that are made on your forum.

I would only like to know how is it done here. So, that I can gather some idea about it. About the "mods" that Bondings mentioned what are those?. Can anyone say where I can get those for my YaBB forum.

Thanks and regards,
Satheesh
Daniel15
Quote:
About the "mods" that Bondings mentioned what are those?. Can anyone say where I can get those for my YaBB forum.

"mods" is short for "modifications". They're like addons to the forum. The mod that Bondings talked about is only for phpBB.

If you upgrade your YaBB to SMF (see my post above), I'll be able to help you with putting ads on it.