FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Web site of the week

Blaster
We should have a "Website of the week" where you could put it up on the frihost http://www.frihost.com home page. Bondings could appoint a section of judges that would lookm though the advertise you website http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-10.html forum.

They would score it on a scale 1-10 and then PM the answer to bondings. Then bondings would simply put it on the home page like he did with the user quotes

Quote:
User quotes

My suggestion to anyone would be that if your looking for a free host, look no further. Frihost is likely to be the one for you and many more.
Mathiaus

I have tried many free hosting services, but Frihost is the best and most reliable one I have seen so far.
Dark_paladin

Its the best free host in the world.
Dionet

On the home page.
Panthrowzay
That sounds Cool and then he would be abilty to see what everyone is really up to and see the creatures that he has helped spawn. This is a good idea! right on!
WebSiteGuru
I like the idea, it is good to have something like that around. But then, they should be categorized into different categories.

The reason being is that not every sites have the same contents. And every site run differently. Some use CMS like [PHP NUKE, XOOPS, DragonflyCMS (AKA: CPG NUKE), etc..], other just designs and builded their site using the editors like (FrontPage, Dreamweaver, ColdFusion, etc.. ). These can not be compared, since for once the format and structure for CMS is different than just creating a typical site.
Blaster
I get what you are saying. It can also give people the chance to look at the works created and what they could do with it. There for people are like

"Wow this website is awesome. And all of it was done for free. I think I might try them out."

There for getting more people active in the forums due to needing points.
Bondings
I will make a new contest, I just didn't decide when and how.

However, there will be a directory with Frihost websites. And I'll try to make it that way that you can bid each week/month with frih$ to be the first website in the list in order to get more traffic and your website to be ranked better in the search engines. At least that will be a good way to spend the frih$. Wink
zjosie729
I think the sites on the main page should also be changing, as part of the ''website of the week''
Blaster
Bondings wrote:

However, there will be a directory with Frihost websites. And I'll try to make it that way that you can bid each week/month with frih$ to be the first website in the list in order to get more traffic and your website to be ranked better in the search engines. At least that will be a good way to spend the frih$. Wink

I kinda get what you are saying. But I don't. I mean that you or a pannel of judges of like 5 pick a person to be displayed on your page. and like
WebSiteGuru said you should make it in like 2 or 3 catogories.

The one that you said is like a whole different thing.

If you have more questions you can either PM me or an AIM instant messanger. I would preffer Aim (it is eaiser)

My idea and your idea can both be used. I don't know who is conffused more here. you or me.
n0obie4life
Bondings wrote:

I'll be glad to plan the contests for you. Yeah, and they'll be good Smile
LostOverThere
It sounds good.

I think it should be site of the week for different reasons, not random.
Q: Did you get the 'Site of the week' idea from www.qscomputing.net ?
Devil
Bondings wrote:

Damn that is Brilliant bondings , where did u come up with that idea,

not only people will spend more time in the forum , but also it profits them ,
MWANGI
Blaster wrote

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We should have a "Website of the week" where you could put it up on the frihost http://www.frihost.com home page. Bondings could appoint a section of judges that would lookm though the advertise you website http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-10.html forum.

They would score it on a scale 1-10 and then PM the answer to bondings. Then bondings would simply put it on the home page like he did with the user quotes

Quote:
User quotes

My suggestion to anyone would be that if your looking for a free host, look no further. Frihost is likely to be the one for you and many more.
Mathiaus

I have tried many free hosting services, but Frihost is the best and most reliable one I have seen so far.
Dark_paladin

Dionet

On the home page.

I think we should but who will rate the sites.

Should it be the moderators,senior freehosters or Bondings himself.

OOh Ooh...I have an idea. We can create a poll. How does that sound?? Razz
Blaster
LostOverThere wrote:
It sounds good.

I think it should be site of the week for different reasons, not random.
Q: Did you get the 'Site of the week' idea from www.qscomputing.net ?

Actually no. I was read http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-24554.html that and it sundenly just hit me.

A web site of the week.
dac_nip
that's a good idea. bondings how about that? approved? you can benefit from this through the search engine..
LostOverThere
Yeha, I really like Bondings idea.

I think something like thats been meantioned before.
Sounds good.
Blaster
It has in the http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-24554.html forum.

My idea and his are two different ideas.

Mine has judges that judge the winner his is a biding war basicly.
WebSiteGuru
I definately like bondings idea. It would give more exposure to many of the users site.
photon
a very good idea!! but i would suggest that a website directory is made first. also users should be able to vote for the site of the week. the contestants can be decided by the mods
aciminsk
MWANGI wrote:
Blaster wrote

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We should have a "Website of the week" where you could put it up on the frihost http://www.frihost.com home page. Bondings could appoint a section of judges that would lookm though the advertise you website http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-10.html forum. ........
Dionet
On the home page.

I think we should but who will rate the sites.

Should it be the moderators,senior freehosters or Bondings himself.

OOh Ooh...I have an idea. We can create a poll. How does that sound?? Razz

What about rating by popularity? And several options, for example by the number of visitors, by the number of hits, by traffic etc.
Blaster
I ment by haveing a panel of judges like say the mods. There job is to pick a website out of the advertise your website forum. They would look at them all. they would pick the one they liked best and tell a head person and he/she adds all of the ideas up. He picks the winner in case of a tie. After he picks the winner he tells it to bondings who will put it up on the site.
wumingsden
I think that there should be two parts to the contest. part 1 would be all about server 1 and part 2 would be all about server 2. i think that this is only fair as different servers have different features.
aciminsk
Blaster wrote:
I ment by haveing a panel of judges like say the mods. There job is to pick a website out of the advertise your website forum. They would look at them all. they would pick the one they liked best and tell a head person and he/she adds all of the ideas up. He picks the winner in case of a tie. After he picks the winner he tells it to bondings who will put it up on the site.

If you check up Google for [url]http://site:*.frih.net[/url] as somebody has suggested abowe, you will get 60 pages with frih sites. Reviewing them will be quite a job by itself. Hardly admins have that much time to waist.
surbz00r
When I'm finished with my site, I'll definately get the prize of best site of the year! Very Happy
Blaster
aciminsk wrote:
Blaster wrote:

If you check up Google for [url]http://site:*.frih.net[/url] as somebody has suggested abowe, you will get 60 pages with frih sites. Reviewing them will be quite a job by itself. Hardly admins have that much time to waist.

But if you do it my way then you won't have to do that. Just make maybe a seperate topic where people advertise there Frihost websites and a panle of judges would pick them.

Example say me and n0obie are on the panle.
I would pick a site like http://bondings-world.frihost.net/
And n0obie may pick www.mezmorizing.frih.net
Then a third judge say heady233 would maybe pick say one of the two and the person with the hightest votes wins.
If this is ever decided on then i will give more specific examples and such.
hades9366
I like both ideas and I think we could use both. The top ranked site in the memberlist could be decided by bidding with frih$ and we could also have an ongoing poll that lets members(so the moderator or whoever's judging doesn't have to spend hours trawling through sites) vote on sites they've visited and maybe even leave comments? a bit of feedback is always useful. The top 10 sites ranked this way could be judge by a panel or somesuch.
n0obie4life
@blaster

Something like that is already in plan now I think. I might just bug Bondings to make some system for the voting process Smile.
Blaster
n0obie4life wrote:
@blaster

Something like that is already in plan now I think. I might just bug Bondings to make some system for the voting process Smile.

You could have a comite (however it is spelled) of people that vote for it. Or you could have it where you just set a poll up and set a couple names up. I got the ideas if you want my ideas just let me know. Smile
Gieter
I like Bondings idea.

But I think it's hard to choose one website every week because it deserves it. It would take a lot of work to choose one. And it never stops (because it's weekly.) I'm sure the Frihost-workers have other, more important things to do. That's my opinion at least. Smile
yjwong
But it is very hard to rate so many sites... Maybe we shall have it as a competition and people register to participate in it.
Blaster
Gieter wrote:
I like Bondings idea.

But I think it's hard to choose one website every week because it deserves it. It would take a lot of work to choose one. And it never stops (because it's weekly.) I'm sure the Frihost-workers have other, more important things to do. That's my opinion at least. Smile

Who says we would use the staff for the forums. We could have a staff just for this. A group of maybe 5 people all will rate the sites on a scall 1-10.
Gieter
Blaster wrote:
Gieter wrote:
I like Bondings idea.

Who says we would use the staff for the forums. We could have a staff just for this. A group of maybe 5 people all will rate the sites on a scall 1-10.

But then again, that's a lot of work. The group should randomly select a group of twenty (or more sites), announce them as nominated and then choose the best site out of it. When a site has won, it can get in a Hall of Fame.
Blaster
Not a hall of fame no. But maybe if we had two weeks of it and we just chosed a new one each week. For example the first week that a site was nominated it would have a poll. We look at the new ones of the week and see who has the highest rating. We then take the top 5 or so and the panel of judges votes on it. This would require its own section though as it would be a lot easier.
Gieter
Blaster wrote:
Not a hall of fame no. But maybe if we had two weeks of it and we just chosed a new one each week. For example the first week that a site was nominated it would have a poll. We look at the new ones of the week and see who has the highest rating. We then take the top 5 or so and the panel of judges votes on it. This would require its own section though as it would be a lot easier.

That's also a good option of course, but why not a Hall of Fame or something similar?
Blaster
that could be done. it all depends on if bondings if he wants to make a new page and if he wants to keep updating it.
juninho_14
Bondings wrote:

wow... what a nice ideia.. when are going to have these services ??

[]s
Marston
Neutral

The date of the third last post in this thread... wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:31 pm
Blaster
Everytime i start thinking about this It randomly comes up again.

@martson who really cares? It just shows how good of an idea it is.
Hobbit
I love your idea Blaster, I hope this can happen.
Donutey
so did bondings give the OK for this contest, it was kind of unclear, but that is an awesome idea, that you can use frih to help the popularity of your website... right now frih is mostly good for banners... ~~

I think the rating should be out of 10.0 to add another digit of precision, just to make it sound a little fancier with minimal effort.

I would suggest evaluating sites on these areas, giving recognition (and link on main page) for each, then have an overall site for every week/month/year(choose one)

Design How eye catching appealing it is, how easy it is to navigate.
Consistancy Pages have same basic design, links work (style sheets would be a positive)
Compliancy If the site is completely or mostly compliant with it's declared doctype (HTML, XHTML etc) by using the w3.org verify feature. Frontpage and other pre-designed websites would lose out, but carefully custom designed sites should be a plus somewhere. Rolling Eyes
Content Is the site updated regularly, articles etc. are high quality.

Then have as suggested earlier, a panel of judges, each with a speciality, to decide on ratings. (after a preliminary vote)
Blaster
I love how this topic gets bumbed at random times Very Happy
But yea I do agree a panel of judges would be great. I have it all thought out how it would work. There would be like a sercret set of forums to judge it on. They would vote on it from based on a 1-10 scale. They would pick sites that people sumbimited to the Advertise your site forum. Very Happy
Donutey
Blaster wrote:
They would pick sites that people sumbimited to the Advertise your site forum. Very Happy

The problem would be, that the most developed websites (oldest) might be the farthest buried in the Advertise section... idk how that can be fixed.
Blaster
There could also be a simple form that people would fill out. We may need to panel of judges. It may take two weeks to do one otherwise. But anyhow they would get the email someone would start a thread with a poll and then we pick the one with the top votes. Very Happy
Rosanova
Bondings wrote:

[color=red]Hi there,

I really like this idea of many reasons. One of them is as an old community leader of the old Geocities times (Long time before Yahoo! destroyed the idea behind Geocities). I don't know how many who is as old as I am and how many ex. community leaders from these days who is active here at Frihost, and it actually doesn't matter anyway, cause my idea hasn't much to do with it anyway, without to make an more intense community spirit here at frihost.

Secound reason is that I could imagine that an Award system at Frihost, with both nomination and an nice Award and nomination banner add to add your site, to proof both that you have been nominated and last that you have been Awarded. Ex. can you have an Website of the month Award, and with all these Website of the week you could also have an Website of the Year.

Third reason is the most essencial reason, to motivate making nice and funktionel webpages, then helping to debugging. At this point is it also meant for these "Proff wannabees" to help them to be proffessional. Then shouldn't we forget the increasing of traffic.

How could I think how this could work?

You adding a new forum called "Frihost Site award", then adding an comitee who has the responsibility to add the nominations into an Poll together with an topic where you can find the adresses to the sites that is nominated. And then after a year you take the 10 most voted sites and then make an new topic where you can vote for the site of the year.

What is the price?

For an nomination would I sugges that the member who is nominated would get an "Frihost Award Nomination may 2006" banner to add into their site, together with ex. 50 FRIH$. And the winner get an "Frihost Award of the month may 2006" banner include 500 FRIH$. Then finaly "Frihost Site of the year 2006" banner together with some bigger, ex. free proffesional hosting or something else.

Above idea is only a draft thoughts, but I think that it should be working. And I hope that someone else would take and work this idea out.

I'm still major satisfied with Frihost, and I hope that something exciting would happen at your 1 years birthday.[/color]

Cheers!
n0obie4life
Okay.

This suggestion has gone on for long enough. I'm going to close this topic now.

When we implement it, then you'll see it Wink (don't worry, we will soon, but, no time frame given Very Happy).

-close-