FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to design a theme?

sciondestiny
Hey everyone, how are you?

I am new to the site and am currently waiting to obtain 5 posts so that I can get a free account for myself for a website. I was wondering on some helpful tips lol. I am currently learning HTML and JavaScript from a site and have bought a book to earn PHP version 5.0 I believe.

Now concerning theme on a site, I was wondering how I would get something like that. Is that done using like HTML only like just call pictures from the folder or is it more like PHP to design it. Is there a good site that can teach me this stuff and does anyoen have a good example I can see that they have done maybe. Just to see how powerful you can make it!!!

Thank you very much!
jeffsolodky
You say a "theme," do you mean a template, or do you mean a theme like Baseball or Halloween?
sciondestiny
template lol sorry about that really sorry. But yea I mean I want a template now how would i do that is it best to try maybe a preprogrammed site or make my own? please if you have had experiences with this, what did you do I would really appreciate it. I still waiting for my account to get activated so like I have time lol!!! Thank you for helping though!
clip
probably, make your own. it's just plain HTML.

Make it something like:

Header (contains the <head> tags and everything before the real content comes in)
Body (contains the actual content of your site)
Footer (some copyright things etc etc etc</body> </html>)

example:

Home | Forums | Etc <- menu (header)

Hello this is my site!
Announcements: <- actual content (body)
blah blah blah

Copyright 1982 whatever <- footer.

by making something like this and now that you're trying to learn php, you can break them apart and will be most likely a template.

From your <html> tag unto the part where the Menu will end, this will be your header.inc file then the copyright will be your footer.inc file .

instead of writing the html codes again and again for all pages that you'll be making it'll just be

Code:

<?php
 #include('header.inc');
?>
Hello I am the site's content!
<?php
 #include('footer.inc');
?>
Panthrowzay
whoa whoa hold on, on what CMS/Forum system are you talking about becasuse it, is not a PHP thing then CSS is the Way to go. Really it is the way to go Period!
Lady Elensar
I think he's talking about phpBB, just like this board. I'm not sure, but I thinks it's used that way on every php bulletin board. Smile
clip
err... i don't know what to say on your posts. is it me or did you two read the guys question?

and yes CSS can also be used. however, what I'm pointing out on my post is that it's easier to create and edit files when used with php.
sgwreviews
clip wrote:

Code:

<?php
 #include('header.inc');
?>
<?php
 #include('footer.inc');
?>

I know this may sound stupid, but I'm pretty new to all this.
Does this code do what I think:
I create a header with menu and all, save it as .inc file, I do the same with footer,
then the code I need to use in my html:
<?php
#include('header.inc');
?>
when I change the header.inc, is it then changed on all my pages?
clip
very much correct! Very Happy
sciondestiny
Hey clip.

I am sorry but could you just verify this. What you are saying is that I make an HTML site than I just edited using PHP. That way it would come out as a template.

Another question, I have noticed that a lot of sites use tables to use as templates that way everything is neat and stuff but you do not notice it si in tables because they make it a bit fancy, is this a good technique?
sgwreviews
clip wrote:
very much correct! Very Happy

OK great, gonna try that out.
clip
sciondestiny wrote:
Hey clip.

I am sorry but could you just verify this. What you are saying is that I make an HTML site than I just edited using PHP. That way it would come out as a template.

Another question, I have noticed that a lot of sites use tables to use as templates that way everything is neat and stuff but you do not notice it si in tables because they make it a bit fancy, is this a good technique?

yes, it's actually a common technique. it is, most of the time, generated by php loops.

something like:
Code:

<table>
 <?php
   for($i = 0;$i < 10;$i++) {
    echo '<tr><td>hello world!</td></tr>';
   }
 ?>
 </table>

or maybe i'm wrong? can you give me an example of that site?

or mine maybe? http://tayonews.frih.net
GDG
Yea I believe I know what sciondestiny is trying to say. And Yea clip I think it might be something like that but than again I could be wrong. Oh by the way nice site clip I like the nice layout and colur schemes!!!
sciondestiny
Hey everyone,

Hey clip, yes that is I think how they do it but I am not sure about that I am stil doing a bit of PHP. I checked your site and the page source and that is exactly what I meant by it. It is pretty good layout though of your site but what was it about your site?

on to the topic of thread though, I was wondering regarding the way how you want your table to be and where is that possible to do. I mean in your site your tables have curved edges not pointy is that an image or coding?

Also could you tell me what the differences are between the use of Javascripting and the use of PHP. I mean is Javascript used for dynamic pages like for user member sign ups and stuff or what. And what is PHP mostly used for? Thank you again! Very Happy
clip
sciondestiny wrote:

on to the topic of thread though, I was wondering regarding the way how you want your table to be and where is that possible to do. I mean in your site your tables have curved edges not pointy is that an image or coding?

Well, i placed my GIF images in tables. And they're not actually curved edges, the edge is just transparent. You can do the same using Macromedia Fireworks or Adobe Photoshop. The software will let you make a layout, then all you have to do is slice it then the software will automatically make the html code for your tables. ^^

sciondestiny wrote:

Also could you tell me what the differences are between the use of Javascripting and the use of PHP. I mean is Javascript used for dynamic pages like for user member sign ups and stuff or what. And what is PHP mostly used for? Thank you again! Very Happy

Well, Javascript vs PHP... Hmm... PHP, as it's name says (i think Hypertext: Pre processor), it resides on the server itself and then generates the html code that would be read by your viewer's browser without showing the php script which is much more secure than using javascript and, since javascript is dependent upon the browser, it doesn't really work well on all viewers. However, changes in data for Javascript won't make the user refresh the page over and over again.
sgwreviews
sgwreviews wrote:
clip wrote:

Code:

<?php
 #include('header.inc');
?>
<?php
 #include('footer.inc');
?>

I create a header with menu and all, save it as .inc file, I do the same with footer,
<?php
#include('header.inc');
?>

OK, I'm having some troubles with this, what exactly needs to be in the .inc file?
does it has to be like complete html? or only from <body> to </body>? or something else?
Mizzro
Something I have found that works great... Instead of just reading through websitse on how to do it.... Search for cool websites, Scroll through them... View the source of the webpage to try to learn some more tricks with html and java
clip
sgwreviews wrote:
sgwreviews wrote:
clip wrote:

Code:

<?php
 #include('header.inc');
?>
<?php
 #include('footer.inc');
?>

<?php
#include('header.inc');
?>

OK, I'm having some troubles with this, what exactly needs to be in the .inc file?
does it has to be like complete html? or only from <body> to </body>? or something else?

the inc files could probably be from <html> to menu scripts. it doesn't need to be a complete html. most probably, your footer.inc will look something like
Code:
<br>
<div align="center">Copyright &copy; 3000<br>Website by ...</div>
</body></html>