FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

phpbb help

TheFaction
i followed all steps in the tutorial. however when i attempt to access the page to install it, the page doesnt work. i thought i had done it right. i changed the permissions for the config and avatars as told. i tried just clicking the install/install.php file in the file manager but all that came up was a bunch of code that i prob could have weeded through to do but the buttons didnt work... i dk where to go from here any help? if it means anything i use directadmin
eepman
I can help you , ive installed it more than once. Whats your domain?
webbone
Are you ok,I think there have some file error,I can help install or update,Pm your domain info or your sites address,I will try my best to help you!I have some sites use phpbb! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Daniel15
TheFaction wrote:
...i tried just clicking the install/install.php file in the file manager but all that came up was a bunch of code...

That's the problem, you don't click it in the File Manager. That displays the actual contents of the file (ie. the code), which is what we don't want to do.

Instead, go to the actual address of the file. For example, if your site is http://test.frih.net/ (not a real address), and you put the phpBB files into a 'forum' folder, then you need to go to http://test.frih.net/forum/install/install.php.
Loathing in Fear
Just like daniel said Very Happy

"domain".frih.net/"forum folder"/install/install.php
When it still doesn't work, re-upload all the forum files, and try it again Smile

NOTE: You don't have to CHMOD the files, you can do it without CHMODing them. But it is safer if you do.

---------------------
Loathing Wink
n0obie4life
Loathing in Fear wrote:
NOTE: You don't have to CHMOD the files, you can do it without CHMODing them. But it is safer if you do.

---------------------
Loathing Wink

Sure. You'll fix the errors he'll get then Wink.

You MUST -

CHMOD 777 config.php
CHMOD 777 images/avatars

YOU MUST DO IT OR YOU WILL GET ERRORS.
clip
just simple:

1. upload all files
2. change the permissions of needed folders
3. visit the forums index, no need to go to the install.php, it automatically detects it from the index.php of the your forum's url.

i've installed it a couple of times before. ^^ Very Happy
TheFaction
i am sure that i have done all of those things i've tried everything and it just doesnt want to work. i've countlessy uploaded the files numerous times just incase something was missed but no matter what it just gives me the 404 error when i attempt to access it.
clip
well, i want to help you, but i probably can't because i can't actually look at your account. wait for Bondings maybe, I'm sure that he can help you. Very Happy
jfcliverpool
this happens for me on other web hosting accounts aswell + i cant do it . its so annoying i just keep getting the same message all the time the 404 error.
Lady Elensar
Then you MUST do something wrong... Confused

It can't be your browser? Like FireFox/Modzilla/Firewall or whatever?

p.s. Have you looked at phpbb.com it's forum or in the support/knowlegde base section?
jfcliverpool
ive looked everywhere phpbb forums and google. all the same things im pretty sure ive installed it to the directory properly its just that domain location thing mydomain.com/forum/install/install.php thing that seems to mess me up. at the moment seeing as im waiting for my frihost account im using a different webhosting service meanwhile just to test around with for when i get a frihost account that webhosting service also has CPanel + ive foolowed instructions etc MSQL database on here as the tutorials are very good but i just cant do it.
Lady Elensar
But when did you got the error? And what is the error exactly?
TheFaction
it tells me that the forums/install/install.php cannot be found on this server.
i type in http://www.week32.frih.net/forums/install/install.php and thats what i get
jfcliverpool
i get exactly the same error as the faction Ive tried everything i just dont know what ive done wrong.
Lady Elensar
That's weird.. Confused You're both sure you uploaded the install map? (inclusive the files)
TheFaction
i took the phpbb2 folder that appeared when extracted...opened up filezilla...put in my forums folder which is in the public_html folder..changed the permissions on the config.php and images/avatars and tried to access the necessary page. and received that error
jfcliverpool
i extracted the phpbb folder into a new directory called forum ( could this be wrong) + set permissions on he config file to 777 and images + avatars. i then tried mydomain.com/forum/install/install.php + get the 404 error.
Lady Elensar
You exactly followed these steps? :
Quote:
1. Quick Install
If you have basic knowledge of using FTP and are sure your hosting service or server will run phpBB 2 you can use these steps to quickly get started. For a more detailed explanation you should skip this and go to section 2 below.

Decompress the phpBB 2 archive to a local directory on your system.
Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.
Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)
Using your web browser visit the location you placed phpBB 2 with the addition of install/install.php, e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/phpBB2/install/install.php, http://www.mydomain.com/forum/install/install.php etc.
Fill out all the requested information and hit Submit
Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)
Click the Complete Installation button or revisit the location you entered above.
phpBB 2 should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 8 below for important, security related post-installation instructions.
If you experienced problems or do not know how to proceed with any of the steps above please read the rest of this document.

Source: http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install
jfcliverpool
yeah ive done that aswell. i just cant see what im doing wrong. thanks for trying to help.
TheFaction
i too have done that. it just doesnt want to work...why i have no clue
Lady Elensar
When I visit http://www.week32.frih.net/ I get this error:

Quote:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Maybe this has something to do with the problem? I'm not sure...

And when I visit http://www.week32.frih.net/forums/install/install.php of http://www.week32.frih.net/forums/ I also get the 404 error page.. Which means there is no map called 'forums', though.
TheFaction
originally there was a logo in the center and i deleted it
but when i added my own thing it didnt show by just typing www.week32.frih.net. it made me type the file otherwise i would get the 404 error. where do i put that document so it shows up on just the week32.frih.net?
Lady Elensar
Just make an index.html file, and put this one in your public_html map. That's what you mean, no?
n0obie4life
Make sure you uploaded stuff into public_html and not anywhere else too..

So, it should be uploaded to

public_html/forums/ <--
TheFaction
thats where i put it.....noobie if you want i can send u my directadmin login so u can see for urself....
Lady Elensar
And if n0obie won't or can't look at it.. I will take a look for you. Smile

(Only I haven't much time, because Saturday evening I'm going on holiday)
TheFaction
well if i dont find out if noobie can do it by the end of tomorrow(thurs) ill pm u the stuff lady.
n0obie4life
TheFaction wrote:
well if i dont find out if noobie can do it by the end of tomorrow(thurs) ill pm u the stuff lady.

It's better for LAdy Elensar to do it as I don't really have much time this weekend (Chinese New Year Wink)
TheFaction
*EDIT* nevermind, somehow i managed to figure it out and got it to work...go me
jfcliverpool
TheFaction wrote:
*EDIT* nevermind, somehow i managed to figure it out and got it to work...go me

please tell me how you did it please, i want to know aswell.