FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dialup in Ubuntu

avk
Hey!!
How do we dialup in ubuntu
I have a modem and a phone line and want to dial up to the net

What to do
Got no reply in ubuntuforums

Help me
Animal
Do you have a hardware modem? A hardware modem is more likely to be an external one - a lot of modems that come with Windows-Based PCs are software modems.

If yours is a software modem, it's unlikely that Linux will recognize it and therefore won't be able to use it. If the problem you're experiencing is that Ubuntu doesn't find your modem, it's likely that you'll need to buy an external one.
jovemac
Hi ALL!

I too have the same doubt about how to establish a dialup connection in a ubantu linux. My modem too has no driver CD. In windows its never an issue about the driver CD. Dunno about linux. Can some one help it out..
saiyeek
Internal Modems are not supported by most of the linux version. Get an external modem soon, it doesn't cost much.
jovemac
saiyeek wrote:
Internal Modems are not supported by most of the linux version. Get an external modem soon, it doesn't cost much.

Yea I do use an External modem only. and use the default windows driver files for that. When it comes to Linux, dunno how to do. Thats the question now. Please help.
Naif
jovemac wrote:
saiyeek wrote:

Yea I do use an External modem only. and use the default windows driver files for that. When it comes to Linux, dunno how to do. Thats the question now. Please help.

Configuring an external modem should be easy under Linux. Follow this well written guide: http://www.aboutdebian.com/modems.htm

Its for the Debian Linux distro though should be of help for Ubuntu too.
sgwreviews
Is there also a problem with usb DSL modem in Linux?
saiyeek
sgwreviews wrote:
Is there also a problem with usb DSL modem in Linux?

no, there is not normally a problem with DSL modem but sometimes there may be. linux easily detects dsl modems.