FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Wordpress uploads

steveadams617
Hi. I'm playing around with the permissions for my Wordpress uploads folder and the only way it seems to work is if I give it execute permissions so that it can create folders, I guess. Is this secure and the right thing to do?
steveadams617
Now I'm trying to delete the wordpress test install so that I can re-install it for real and start using it for real with real data. SmartFTP won't let me change permissions or delete any of the subfolders in the upload directory that Wordpress created. Any way to regain control over those folders?

Thanks.
n0obie4life
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-14867.html

Have you read the stickies in the forums?
steveadams617
Sorry. I was looking for information about Wordpress owning a folder - not apache. Never considered that.

I ran the directions in the link. I changed permissions on public_html, blog, wp_content, and uploads to 777. I changed the permissions on fixmod and fixmod.php to 777. I loaded fixmod.php and got "complete". The file permissions are the same in the subfolders 2005 and 01 and and can't delete any of the uploads.

The directions state:

"You will receive some errors about the operation not being permitted, this is because apache will not have write access to the files/directories that your user profile owns. "

Does this mean that the shell commands are even running?

Thanks
Steve
steveadams617
I changed public_html back to 755, but the link still says 777. Should I change it manually?
n0obie4life
steveadams617 wrote:
I changed public_html back to 755, but the link still says 777. Should I change it manually?

I guess the solution will be wait for Bondings to reply..or someone experienced.