FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[PHP/security] sending content over SSL

jasperlevink
Hello folks!

I'm making a webshop for a friend. The server where his site is hosted supports SSL. Customers should be able to pay with credit card. Therefore the credit card data of the customers has to be sent to my friend over e-mail.

I never used SSL before. And never handled credit card data.

Is data secured as long as the form with the data is posted to a script that's on de SSL-secured server? (no mather where the form is located?)

Is the data secure inside the e-mail? Or should I better make an image or PDF?

I hope you can help me!

Thanks.
holadola
Hi.

No data is secure in an e-mail! You need to decrypt it properly. But the best idea is to not send it by e-mail at all. I'v not worked with SSL, but if it is used properly the data should be secure.

/hd
virtualpointer
jasperlevink wrote:
Hello folks!

I'm making a webshop for a friend. The server where his site is hosted supports SSL. Customers should be able to pay with credit card. Therefore the credit card data of the customers has to be sent to my friend over e-mail.

I never used SSL before. And never handled credit card data.

Is data secured as long as the form with the data is posted to a script that's on de SSL-secured server? (no mather where the form is located?)

Is the data secure inside the e-mail? Or should I better make an image or PDF?

I hope you can help me!

Thanks.

Hi, mate,

Don't send any secure data by e-mail. It is not secure at all. If you insist on using it, you should set up a security system (public key and private key mechaniism) by your self. But once your secure code is hacked, your system will be corrupted.

I think the traditional ways by phone, mail or fax are all better than that.

An alternative way is to transfer data over HTTPS, but you still need to think about it,