FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My Documents

jarred89
Hello, I brought a laptop today and I have a PC as well and i would like it so when i save one thing on one computer it updates on the other one. So say if i make a file on my pc and i put it on here and i go somehwew and make some changes to the file so when i connect it to our network again it updates on the PC is there a program that can do this? Thanks
photon
there is the synchronization wizard in windows xp, but im not sure if you can use it to synchronize files. also there is the file and settings transfer wizard, so give that a shot as well. you can find both in the accessories menu
jarred89
The File transfer thing isnt what im looking for. I wont it so when im at home my laptop has the same files as the PC in the house does and then when im at school and make some changes to files i bring it back home and connect it to the network again then it updates the files on the PC as well so there both the same. Thanks
longjack
SyncBack Freeware V3.2.9 at http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

(scroll down the linked page to see the freeware version)

or

SyncToy for Windows XP at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

Are two freeware utilities that will sync folders. You can schedule syncback to synchronize at specific times pretty easily. SyncToy uses the task scheduler, but can be run manually very easily with just two or three clicks.

I don't think they will automatically sync, for example when you connect the laptop at home, but that might not be a bad thing. Using syncback to backup directories to another folder before you synchronize them is not a bad idea, and also easy to schedule.

HTH

longjack
toshlad
What you're looking for is something like roaming profiles.

Are you using any sort of server at home and if so what OS is it running?

If you're not using a server this solution won't help.

I hope this helps.