FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help Please

jarred89
Hello, I have just brought a Compaq Presario V2402AU and it came with Windows XP Home and i HATE! home. If i reformat the whole laptop and put Windows XP Pro on will it stuff it up or anything? also it came with some softwre like HP updates and all and there is no disc for them so are they important if id o this?? or should i just leave it as it is?
saga87
Very Happy Hi! Well, if it would be me, I would have already formatted, BUT, I don't know what exactly came with your laptop, nor do I know what drivers it use.

Formating could make you lose those drivers, and is a pain in the ass finding them on DriverGuide, but nothing impossible.

If you know what you're doing, go on, but DON'T TRUST ME!!! I can be wrong Wink .

First of all, make sure that every single driver installed there that you have them in some sort of backup (1.44 disks, CD-R, another partition...) and any other data you may want to keep. THEN you can be safe to format.

If you need any more help, don't botter posting, it is good for all of us!
Animal
The drivers are all likely to be available on the HP site.

Another option for you is to get a Windows XP Pro Upgrade disc - this will update you from Home to Pro version, but it may cost you a fair bit. Particularly if you've already got an XP Pro disc.
WebSiteGuru
If you have access to the internet and able to download. Go to Compaq/HP site put in your serial # and it will let you search for the specifix drivers and softwares available.
SoftStag
Why do you HATE Home edition? It is virtually the same as Pro, but there are a couple of networking features less. 99% of people don't need Pro, especially in the home environment.