FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

do you think it is right for

codyb245
do you think it is alright for a teacher not to teach then asign you homework for a grade? I say this because this has happened to me before a teacher decided not to teach to the class gave us some homework that most of the class had no idea how to do, then took it for a grade.

I think it is stupid what about everyone elese?
Blaster
Its happend to all of us I think. Even when they teach it a little but it is hard to explain. So just remember that.

What grade are you in?
iridios
I think it would depend on what level of school you are in. Grade school and middle school I would say no. For students in high school, that kind of un-instructed assignment should really be reserved for advanced students, and then only toward the end of the course when most of the basis has been taught.

For college students you can expect it to become more common, especially the further along in college you get.
LoveMachine
Sounds like you just aren't paying attention. It's way to easy to blame the teacher when you do shitty on a test or homework. What exactly do you mean "not teach a class?" Did the teacher just sit at his desk for the whole class reading a magazine or something, not talk to their students AT ALL, then hand out homework for that day? Because that's incredibly hard to imagine.

Be more clear as to what you're griping about.
mschnell
I think that sometimes teachers don't have enough prepared. In this case it might be the easy way out for them to just give an assignment. While it's unfortunite, I feel that most American teachers are most likely not paid well enough that they can be expected to do much out of class work.
Vrythramax
iridios wrote:
I think it would depend on what level of school you are in. Grade school and middle school I would say no. For students in high school, that kind of un-instructed assignment should really be reserved for advanced students, and then only toward the end of the course when most of the basis has been taught.

For college students you can expect it to become more common, especially the further along in college you get.

I have to agree with iridios here, the further along you get into school, especially the higher degrees in college and/or university the more they force you to think on your feet and discover the answers on your own. A little free thought and self-discovery I personally think is not only good for a student as a learning tool about certain subjects, and will also help the student face real-life occasions where the answer, if not the question itself, is not exactly clear.

I do not believe however it is fair to ask any student in grade school, or even high school questions without clear answers and base the grade on the results. To use it as a learning tool is ok, but not as a part of the overall grade.
adwya
Its happend to all of us I think. Even when they teach it a little but it is hard to explain. So just remember that.
roeenoy
every one of us sometime thoght about this problem and i might its not good....
TheFaction
for some, that may be a way that they learn the best. i know that i had a class a few years ago where we really weren't taught much but were assigned homework for the next day. i do fine if im taught all class or if im taught only a lil. i dont think its wrong for a teacher to do that. its part of their method, and if its found to work i dont see why the shouldnt do it.
Soulfire
It may be fair in that teacher's eyes, perhaps you are supposed to learn for yourself? Although I don't agree with that method, I've been put through it before, especially in my composition class this year.

I am supposed to write an essay, but I have NO idea on what to write it on because the teacher said "Do it" and nothing else. All I know is that I need a thesis statement and my introduction paragraph by Wednesday.
MistaKiula
That sounds like an excuse coming from common 'lazy' students.. hahaha i dunno that's just from my experience of meeting some people (aka myself)
nOScott
i think it is.. i think homework is unfair anyways Razz, but thats just me ..
candycakes
o_O maybe your not asking the question right?

I don't think there really is such a thing as a teacher refusing to teach the class and then still handing out homework for a grade...if that really is the case, it's not a matter of complaining, but it's something that needs to be looked into by an authoritive figure like a principal or something. If enough students feel this way about the teacher, you can get a petition, and there's a good chance that you can get him/her fired. A couple of my friends last year did that to a chemistry teacher.

And man...I have teacher problems every single day at school. Dont even get me started...I hate teachers who all they do is sit in their classes and talk about how sucky it is to be a teacher, and how low they get paid. Then go do something else! Oh wait...you can't. In that case, shut up and stop complaining. You're a teacher and that's your job. Deal with it. I also hate the kinds that give out homework every day, tons and tons of it. When you're a junior, and you take seven classes, four of those being AP classes, you are bogged down like no other. Half the time, nobody in our grade can sleep before two in the morning, and the teachers wonder why we're so dead the next day. >.>
hahame
i have not meet that
GamersWW
Yeah this happens to me a lot. What i do is see the head of deparment of the subject or someone in charge and tell them that the work is too easy or that im not learning anything in the class. Didn't you get told that telling the teacher is the best thing to do? Razz