FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problems with Mandrake Linux

simon4u
I have fairly recently installed Mandrake Linux on my computer (some latest version). One day I shut down my PC booted into linux before it shut down itself properly. I have not been able to log into Linux ever since. It is delaying very much at the loading screen, and never got past it. Any ideas? Sorry, I am not an experienced Linux user.

Simon
Dino
is it shows you a login screen in console, or you can`t get there?
if you can login, than, login and type startx
photon
are you able to login to the command line interface at least??
MWANGI
simon4u wrote:
I have fairly recently installed Mandrake Linux on my computer (some latest version). One day I shut down my PC booted into linux before it shut down itself properly. I have not been able to log into Linux ever since. It is delaying very much at the loading screen, and never got past it. Any ideas? Sorry, I am not an experienced Linux user.

Simon

Maybe the linux loader got corrupted and you may need to reinstall the mandrake operating system to get your linux loader up and running again.

You may also get more advice and information at
http://www.linuxquestions.org

These are the only few options I can think about at the moment. But I will post some more posts as soon as I get another solution.

I suggest that formatting be your last option because it can also be tricky especially if your machine contains other operating systems such as Windows in the same drive.
ARCTURUS
hi

I had lots of problem with Mandrake and each time i reinstalled the system ! so i changed for Ubuntu .. it's very simple version of Linux and very understandable for everybody ! You should try it !

++
Arcturus
MWANGI
ARCTURUS wrote:
hi

I had lots of problem with Mandrake and each time i reinstalled the system ! so i changed for Ubuntu .. it's very simple version of Linux and very understandable for everybody ! You should try it !

++
Arcturus

Hi

Thanks for your suggestion

Where can I get this this UBUNTU thing you are talking about. Is it an African version of linux because I really need one. Pray Please

Is there a place that I can get it for free because I don't have a credit card or credit card number.

I suggest that you try out damn small linux DSL 50 Mbs (Megabytes) because of it's size and you don't have to install it.It's an essential tool for practice. It works very well here in Germany.

By the way, How big is the BUNTU distribution (prefrerrably in MBs)

Ciao
Cool
ripdajacker
Ubuntu is about 650 mb, it's in a number of languages.

http://www.ubuntu.com/
darth_pyro
If you are using mandrake 10.1 like me, you have to press the escape key to see the verbose messages on startup. Otherwise, you just see a progress bar. Progress bar obviously doesn't tell you much, so press esc before it hangs. When you find out exactly what the error message is, report it to us, and I'm sure somebody can help you better. Without some kind of error message, it could be anything and nobody can really help you.

As far as actual problems and solutinons, it could be a number of things. Your superblock on your hard drive could be corrupted. LILO could be having problems. I suggest putting the 1st installation CD in, and instead of letting it go to install, use the option to "see more options" (f5 I think). Then use rescue mode to mount your drives, and go into the console. If you are fairly familiar with linux, try fscking your drives, and poke around in /etc/lilo.conf (DONT change anything if you don't know what you're doing) to see if anything is obviously unusual. Good luck!