FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

System reboots itself...

saga87
Very Happy hello! I have a strange thing happening here in my PC, but first, here's my configuration:

Pentium IV 3.0 GHz HT technology processor
ASUS P4-800MX motherboard
On-board audio, video and modem
DVD writer driver (LG)
1.44 driver
80 GBs hd 7200 RPM UltraATA3 if I recall
Very well cooled inside (no temperature deals)
Running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

Now here's the prob: I turn the PC on, ok, everything fine. The system boots normally, and I can do anything I want. But, most of the times (19 into 20) it reboots automatically, even if I let it without doing anything!!!
Then if boots normally, and I can do anything I want for anytime, even reboot again, but if I turn it off, and on, it happens again.

Does anyone ever got though that? Thanks in advance!
corey
Microsoft seems to think that the best solution for any error is to reboot the machine. Likely, you have a buggy hardware driver or a program that's behaving badly and causing an error of some sort. When this happens, your machine reboots to fix it. Thing is that doesn't fix anything. The cause is still there. You'll want to get to the BSOD. Yes, Windows XP has a blue error screen too. You didn't think it'd be another color, did you? Rolling Eyes

Here's how to get the error, so you can try and isolate it and fix it:

Right click on "My Computer" and click on "Properties". Choose the "advanced" tab and click on the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery". On the bottom half of that box, there should be three checkboxes in a section called "System Failure". Uncheck the one that says "Automatically Restart" and click "OK" at the bottom of the box. Then, click "Apply" on the "My Computer" box. Close it and you're done.

If your computer encounters an error after that, it'll not reboot automatically, but at least stay on the BSOD long enough for you to try and read the error message showing the cause of the problem.

Good luck.
saga87
Yes I knew it... it could be another color, like scarlet red or ocre... it would be nice, wouldn't?

Allrighty Very Happy thanks corey! I'll do it tomorrow, so I can see what's going on... hope it's a software, not hardware!

Anyway, thanks, and tomorrow I'll post here if everything went fine, so, watch the topic, ok?

C ya!
abhinav_shah
I think you should check your RAM, and Motherboard.
saga87
hey corey, I did what you told me, but it still reboots on the damn blue screen of death...

hey abhinav, if it would be my memory or motherboard, woudn't it keep rebooting all the time? Because here it reboots only once when I turn it on, but not imediately, it takes some minutes, and then it never does it again... until I turn it off and on again Sad

But thanks to you guys! Wink
photon
check if your front panel connectors are fixed properly in the motherboard. i once messed up the power and reboot pins, and the system used to reboot randomly. so check for those first
Zuwiki
Now, I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but my solution would be...

INSTALL LINUX!!!

Ahem, sorry. Yeah, that's pretty much it...

But seriously, I think everyone should switch to Linux and kill Winblows. "But I won't be able to play my favorite game!" you say? Wine. No, not whine, Wine. Windows emulation. Works on almost everything. Or, you could get GAG and have both Winblows AND the ub3r0xxerz n00b pWn3r Linux installed. That's what I'd do if I was you...

Stupid, ugly, insignificant, computer killing Winblows.
ADM1N1STRAT0R
I work with over 200 computers and this problems usually points to the PSU. Try another PSU to see if you get the same problem. Your PSU might not be hot, but still cn be faulty. Another check is the CPU fan. Check the speed.

I hope this help you.

Admin.
waiteck
ADM1N1STRAT0R wrote:
I work with over 200 computers and this problems usually points to the PSU. Try another PSU to see if you get the same problem. Your PSU might not be hot, but still cn be faulty. Another check is the CPU fan. Check the speed.

I hope this help you.

Admin.

Lol.. I guess you shouldn't have your nick as Administrator? lol..

Anyway.. The computer might be overclocked and needs more vcore. Thus your hardware fails as there is not enough vcore. Go check it out in your bios.
saga87
I THINK, that people didn't got the picture of my problem Wink let's go by steps...

- Ok, I've woke up in the morning, the PC is off and I decide to turn it on to watch a DVD movie;
- It turns on, boots WXP, everything fine, and I go watch my movie;
- Almost everytime (let's say 19 between 20), the PC reboots itself. Ok, now here's my problem: IT REBOOTS ONLY ONCE!!! After that, I can stay on it the whole day and night!

IF I turn it off, and on (it can be right after I turn it off) it will do the same again, BUT, will reboot only ONCE.

Laughing Forgive if anyone there tought I am mad or being furious Rolling Eyes .

For the vcore or any voltage thing: I don't think this is the problem, since it reboots only once.

CPU fans are out too, If the problem is the heat, It would keep rebooting until I get mad and smash the PC Shocked Very Happy

FPU??? WTF is that?!

Anyway, thanx for the all the help! Hope I can solve this one...
corey
I know that the BSOD doesn't stay long, but could you try to write down the error and post it here? (snap a pic with a digital camera if you have one?LOL). That long before reboot and consistant, really points to either a software thing (not a driver, but a program) or maybe a power supply (like ADMINISTRATOR says). I hope its software too. Very Happy
MWANGI
Hi
I have the same problem with my PC. Except that my machine which is running on windows XP the automatic shutdown mostly occurs when i am programming using Delphi or C++ builder. The dialog box that appears
indicates I have to report the error to microsoft. But immedietly i click the OK! button it starts shutting itself down unnecessarily

NB even after trying to terminate the process using Ctr Alt Del it refuses to terminate the shutdown process
This occurs after every 20 minutes or so of computer usage
What to do? what to do?

saga87 wrote:
Very Happy hello! I have a strange thing happening here in my PC, but first, here's my configuration:

Pentium IV 3.0 GHz HT technology processor
ASUS P4-800MX motherboard
On-board audio, video and modem
DVD writer driver (LG)
1.44 driver
80 GBs hd 7200 RPM UltraATA3 if I recall
Very well cooled inside (no temperature deals)
Running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2

Now here's the prob: I turn the PC on, ok, everything fine. The system boots normally, and I can do anything I want. But, most of the times (19 into 20) it reboots automatically, even if I let it without doing anything!!!
Then if boots normally, and I can do anything I want for anytime, even reboot again, but if I turn it off, and on, it happens again.

Does anyone ever got though that? Thanks in advance!
SenseiC
By chance have you checked your event log? If you don't know where to find it, the easiest way is to right-click My Computer and choose Manage from the list. Near the top you'll see the Event Viewer.

Odds are you're up to your nostrils in logs. I'd suggest you clear the logs ( application and system... don't bother saving them since you're probably not going to care what is in them at this point Smile ) and then try to repeat the condition (i.e. shutdown and power off then boot it up again. After the system does its little reboot-a-rama and then stabilizes, check the logs and go to the first entries (bottom and work your way back up) and look for any errors, etc.

Next thing you might check is for <cough cough> viruses and/or trojan horses.

The fact that this happens one time and then stays up find and dandy makes me think more that something rogue is on it more than hardware and/or PSU.

BTW speaking of PSUs, be forewarned that Dell computers REQUIRE you use a Dell-labeled PSU lest you see nasty smoke. Not sure what possessed Mikey and the gang to change the pin-out on the power supply, but stick a 'twin' of the PSU that isn't actually from Dell and kiss your mobo goodbye.

SenseiC