FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do i check my graphics card temperature?

NuniPio
i was playing nfsu2 when i noticed some lag..so i closed and checked my cpu temp..56C..thats with thermaltake silent tower cooling in a thermaltake case and no overclocking, so i realised this isnt right.. i open the case and feel the heat on the heatsink and its quite hot, i touch the heatsink on my gfx card and i almost get burnt, i feel the memory temp and it was quite hot too, can anybody tell me how i can check the temperature exactly for my graphics card and ram also... and the reason i think the cpu was hot was because the heat from the gfx card was being sucked by the cpu fan straight into the silent tower...well thats wat i think..
Marston
Touch it? Laughing
yjwong
Absolutely not. One touch of it will destroy your entire graphics card. There's a program known as SpeedFan that checks your fan speed and temperature. Google it if you want, but I doubt it will detect grapics card temperature.
photon
firstly, its not for sure that you can say that the cpu temps are high due to your gfx card. it may also be due to improper seating, or if you applied too much of heatsink compound on it. first get that checked

and gfx card temps are always higher than cpu temps. its natural. and not all gfx cards support temp and fan speed sensing chip. it would be more helpful if you post the make and model of your gfx card
ocalhoun
Some cpu's just run hot, and that's the way it is...
The best way to measure the temp is with an infared thermometer.
You point it at the target, and it tells you the temperature of it. (at range!)
Most firefighters are now equiped with these, and you may persuade one to let you borrow it (if your'e lucky enough to have any firefighter friends).
ripdajacker
Some cpu coolers include a thermometer, if you get one of those you can mount it on your gpu and measure the temp.
NuniPio
photon wrote:
firstly, its not for sure that you can say that the cpu temps are high due to your gfx card. it may also be due to improper seating, or if you applied too much of heatsink compound on it. first get that checked

and gfx card temps are always higher than cpu temps. its natural. and not all gfx cards support temp and fan speed sensing chip. it would be more helpful if you post the make and model of your gfx card

well i meant to say that the heat from my graphics card is heating my cpu heatsink..and my gfx card is an x800 agp
nOScott
I dont know how hot mine is, but my case is very cold and i have alot of airflow going in and out.
SoftStag
If the heat from the graphics card is causing the CPU heat to be higher than normal, then the solution is to fit more case fans to ensure that the temperature insde the case is kept low. Your CPU temp is well within the tolerances of the CPU however, so it will cause no problems.

If you really want to measure the temperatures acurately, here is a guide:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips437/

Some processors are quite content at 56C and some GPUs normally work at around 70C...

Everything in your system is going to get hot, its just a matter of managing it.
narc
Marston wrote:
Touch it? Laughing

I agree, get in there and touch it!
a.Bird
What is the make and speed of your processor? What is the size and speed of your ram? If you have access to a digital camera, take a picture of your internal components in a way that can show their relative location. How many exhaust fans do you have, what size, etc?

With this information, we can solve your problem together even quicker. It sounds to me like an inefficient fan set up. One intake fan and one exhaust fan can be enough to keep your case and components cool, but improper set up of the fans can be very ineffective. If you can't get a camera, see if you can do some simple sketches in ms paint, or if you have a mac, whatever the equivalent may be.

My CPU runs stable at a constant 50C and my computer is almost always on (not good for your HDD platters, however Embarassed). Also, try to pick up an compressed air can at your local office supply/computer store. These can do wonders for heat problems due to dust build up on your hot components.
riyadh
u can get these neat displays for ur cpu tht show the number of fans running and the temperature etc. very cheap. try it!!!!
bassgs_17
Hmm.. I doubt that your GPU has an integrated temperature sensor, my GeForce MX 4000 does not. Add more fans to your case, if possible, and that should alleviate the problem. Otherwise, you can always run with the cover off while gaming, but only as a last resort.
Quote:
Absolutely not. One touch of it will destroy your entire graphics card. There's a program known as SpeedFan that checks your fan speed and temperature. Google it if you want, but I doubt it will detect grapics card temperature.

What!? As long as you are properly grounded or have no static buildup, you are fine. Where do you people come from? Yjwong, go hang out at a tech center for a week, then try again...

Sorry for being so harsh, but I'm a bit evil today...
-Aquastrike
Josso
If you have Radeon ATI then go into "Catalyst Control Centre" - tells you it in there. I've got it up to 70C once but my drivers were screwy at the time Laughing.
sgwreviews
I think alot of your concers about the heat will go away if you see that the hot air can get out better. Also see to it that the air your PC takes in is not the same air that just came out. This is most of the time the case when your PC case is in a computer cabinet (don't know the word) cause most of the times those cabinets are closed in the back, so the hot air that comes out, can't get away fast enough and goes back in (when it is still hot).
time_ar
1. Right Click on the empty space of the destop
2. click 'properties'
3. click 'setting'
4. click 'advance'
5. click your 'GeForce' tag
6. on the right popup panel, you should be able to find 'temperature' if you video card comes with a temperature probe. click it and you will see your video core's temperature.

gl
Jorge
I use a program called "Asus PC probe", it's small, easy and will notify me of any anomaly in temperature and other facets of pretty much any element of my pc. Really neat program & it's freeware! (Google it...)
nOScott
You can check these in your bios
taz161999
all you really need to do is get pc wizard 2006. this program tells you everything about your computer and it will let you know what is overheating. The temperatures that it reads from are from the bios so you know that it is accurate. the other thing that this program does is tell you how fast your fans are spinning so you know what ones are the trouble makers. I noticed my graphics card was over heating and i put this little program on my computer to test it out and it found that my fan was not spinning all that fast and that the temperature was skyrocketing. I cleaned everything in my case and what do you know it works fine now. That's another thing that you can try, try to clean out all of your fans and heatsinks from dust with compressed air. I hope this helps!
d722002
Theres also a program out there, SpeedFan, I think you can get it at www.almico.com . If not, google for it.
Hatchman33
Hey, I am new to this website. It looks like a pretty cool place to start a community for myself and I was wondering if anyone is running a PC with a video card crappier than a Gforce III. LOL
djfreakske
yes, i have a voodoo rush card, so mine is much crapier then yours Very Happy .
but i have temperature sensors built in in my case. that is much easier i think
XxGunner
I'd say as some of the others said...Get in there and grab it lol....hold it tight and rip it out....like crazy..lmao
InjunMick
Your CPU and GPU are always hot to the touch when your playing games, due to a lot of stress on your system. Do not touch any components in your computer unless you really know what your doing, you may short it out.
Why you assume your lag was hardware related, I dont know, for you said the only way you thought it was too hot was by touching it.
Do as others have said and get software to monitor temp.
Usually, the most common causes of lag are the hardware isnt what the game manufacturer recomends, or, your system software is all scrambled, fragmented, thus slowing read time down.
If you game a lot, you must do system maintenance a lot.
I suggest you run "disk cleanup" and "disk defragmenter" before you assume it is a hardware problem. And do them regularly.

InjunMick
NuniPio
a.Bird wrote:
What is the make and speed of your processor? What is the size and speed of your ram? If you have access to a digital camera, take a picture of your internal components in a way that can show their relative location. How many exhaust fans do you have, what size, etc?

With this information, we can solve your problem together even quicker. It sounds to me like an inefficient fan set up. One intake fan and one exhaust fan can be enough to keep your case and components cool, but improper set up of the fans can be very ineffective. If you can't get a camera, see if you can do some simple sketches in ms paint, or if you have a mac, whatever the equivalent may be.

My CPU runs stable at a constant 50C and my computer is almost always on (not good for your HDD platters, however Embarassed). Also, try to pick up an compressed air can at your local office supply/computer store. These can do wonders for heat problems due to dust build up on your hot components.

my processor is an AMD Athlon64 3500+ running at stock speeds, motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum ed. my ram is Corsair XMS pc3200 1024MB single stick. and i have 2 speed controllable exhaust fans and 1 single speed fan at the top of the atx. i have pictures shown below.

this shows the gap between the cpu heatsink and the video card heatsink. you might notice that i have removed the cover of the silent tower as the stock version would blow the heat directly onto the card rather then out the back of the case.

this second pic shows the gap between the ram and the heatsink

this third picture shows the fan setup which i use, the white fan is the original fan which came with the heatsink, the fan opposite is one of the thermaltake speed adjustable fans, and the orange fan is the exact same.

hope that info can show u my setup, and im still getting idle temps of 52C.
NuniPio
ohh and one more thing..i have a thermaltake case too
NuniPio
Josso wrote:
If you have Radeon ATI then go into "Catalyst Control Centre" - tells you it in there. I've got it up to 70C once but my drivers were screwy at the time Laughing.

how do i go to the catalyst control centre?
TabletPCUser
Get the RivaTuner from guru3d. That's the best!
TabletPCUser
Oh, for the RAM, I think you need an external temperature probe and a digital thermometer connected to that. Alternative is to get a laser-based thermometer, which are a bit expensive, but very accurate (and you can read point-temperatures everywhere!).
NuniPio
TabletPCUser wrote:

would that work for an x800?
SoftStag
Personally I would move the RAM as far away from the processor heatsink as you can, ie use the top slot. It should work there just as well, but won't be as close to the heat source, it may also improve air flow in to the heatsink.

Are you sure the second fan you have installed is sucking air out of the heatsink? You haven't mounted it the wrong way round have you? I would try removing it to see what the temp difference is, you may find it is making things worse.

I'm not actually convinced you have a heat problem. 52C is not as low as many people like, but it is well within the tolerences of the equipment. What temp are you getting when the PC is under load?

Another thing to bear in mind is that the temp readings from the BIOS are not always accurate. I had a situation where I flashed a BIOS and the CPU temp dropped by 8C. This can only be due to the way the BIOS interprets the readings from the sensor.

As some people have said, don't just assume that lag in games is a result of heat, it is very likely to be a software issue. You should check that you do not have unnecessary processes running. Try disabling AV software before running the games, etc.
MonkeyWrench
put a thermometer in it Smile
NuniPio
SoftStag wrote:
Personally I would move the RAM as far away from the processor heatsink as you can, ie use the top slot. It should work there just as well, but won't be as close to the heat source, it may also improve air flow in to the heatsink.

i read somewhere that u should place the ram as close as possible to the cpu, not sure if its true though

SoftStag wrote:
Are you sure the second fan you have installed is sucking air out of the heatsink? You haven't mounted it the wrong way round have you? I would try removing it to see what the temp difference is, you may find it is making things worse.

yes ive checked that the fan is blowing out and ive even had them running at full speed

SoftStag wrote:
I'm not actually convinced you have a heat problem. 52C is not as low as many people like, but it is well within the tolerences of the equipment. What temp are you getting when the PC is under load?

at full load im gettin temps of 58C with the fans at full, when the fans are normal its around 59C

SoftStag wrote:
Another thing to bear in mind is that the temp readings from the BIOS are not always accurate. I had a situation where I flashed a BIOS and the CPU temp dropped by 8C. This can only be due to the way the BIOS interprets the readings from the sensor.

i use a program that came with my motherboard called Core Center, im not too sure on how that measures temperatures

SoftStag wrote:
As some people have said, don't just assume that lag in games is a result of heat, it is very likely to be a software issue. You should check that you do not have unnecessary processes running. Try disabling AV software before running the games, etc.

yea i think so too, ill try defragment and optimise my hardrives and see what happens[/quote]
NuniPio
Jorge wrote:
I use a program called "Asus PC probe", it's small, easy and will notify me of any anomaly in temperature and other facets of pretty much any element of my pc. Really neat program & it's freeware! (Google it...)

i have an MSI motherboard not an ASUS
NuniPio
taz161999 wrote:
all you really need to do is get pc wizard 2006. this program tells you everything about your computer and it will let you know what is overheating. The temperatures that it reads from are from the bios so you know that it is accurate. the other thing that this program does is tell you how fast your fans are spinning so you know what ones are the trouble makers. I noticed my graphics card was over heating and i put this little program on my computer to test it out and it found that my fan was not spinning all that fast and that the temperature was skyrocketing. I cleaned everything in my case and what do you know it works fine now. That's another thing that you can try, try to clean out all of your fans and heatsinks from dust with compressed air. I hope this helps!

using that pc wizard program, my cpu temp is 2deg lower than that shown with Core Center, and also a weird thing i noticed was it says my mainboard temps is 249C is that normal??
Antip0p
You propably need some drivers or something like that Question
ericbobson
Do programs such as speedfan actually measure the temperature or do they 'guess' it using system readings (like CPU usage, system idle process etc.)?

Anyone know?
SoftStag
NuniPio wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

i read somewhere that u should place the ram as close as possible to the cpu, not sure if its true though

No, that is not the case. It makes no difference whatsoever.

NuniPio wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

yes ive checked that the fan is blowing out and ive even had them running at full speed

Try removing the fan and see if it makes any difference.

NuniPio wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

at full load im gettin temps of 58C with the fans at full, when the fans are normal its around 59C

58C at full load is quite acceptable. I wouldn't worry about heat.

NuniPio wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

i use a program that came with my motherboard called Core Center, im not too sure on how that measures temperatures

There will be a sensor under the processor that the BIOS uses to measure the temperature. They are not wholly accurate, but usually give a good approximation.
NuniPio
ok, i think i know my problem. i realised my hardrive is full, i deleted some things but then i noticed the free space stayed the same (989MB) even though i deleted some stuff, so i ran the scan to delete temp files and recycle bin and it went to 1.64GB free, but really i deleted over 5 gigs of stuff. could there be a problem with my hardrive which is making the comp slow?
SoftStag
NuniPio wrote:
ok, i think i know my problem. i realised my hardrive is full, i deleted some things but then i noticed the free space stayed the same (989MB) even though i deleted some stuff, so i ran the scan to delete temp files and recycle bin and it went to 1.64GB free, but really i deleted over 5 gigs of stuff. could there be a problem with my hardrive which is making the comp slow?

You probably still have stuff in your recycle bin. I doubt that there is a fault with your hard drive. Usually you know your hard drive is on the way out because it is either noisy, or chkdisk keeps running and files become corrupted.
NuniPio
SoftStag wrote:
NuniPio wrote:

You probably still have stuff in your recycle bin. I doubt that there is a fault with your hard drive. Usually you know your hard drive is on the way out because it is either noisy, or chkdisk keeps running and files become corrupted.

recycle bin is empty, and yes its noisy, and chkdisk showed tonnes of errors and many of my files are corrupted. how did u noe??
SoftStag
I would suggest you buy a new hard drive and transfer everything accross. As this one is almost full it is a good time to get a bigger one. I think this will resolve your lag problems also.
NuniPio
ive had some major problems with my hardrive that i decided to backup my documents and format the drive, when i restored my documents more than 20% of the files were corrupted, what could have caused this? and is there a way to get my lost space back?im pretty sure theres about 10gigs lost
SoftStag
NuniPio wrote:
ive had some major problems with my hardrive that i decided to backup my documents and format the drive, when i restored my documents more than 20% of the files were corrupted, what could have caused this? and is there a way to get my lost space back?im pretty sure theres about 10gigs lost

There are several reasons why files could become corruptted when you backup and restore, but I would imagine that it is due to corruption from you hard drive.

The lost space, may be due to sectors on the hard drive being bad and Windows marking them as unuseable. This then reduces the available size of the drive.

It sounds to me like the hard drive is failing in a big way, these things tend to get progressively worse. I would stronglty recommend replacing the hard drive!
zplitstonez
as a matter of Fact it is really hot in that place. But if it makes your computer lag. Maybe you have some problems; like you don't defragment it, you don't take a disk clean up, or maybe some spywares are being installed on your computer, or maybe overuse. Please always perform a disk clean up and regularly defragment you computer files, and lastly try some anti-spyware software and perform a full system scan on your computer. Because spyware eats a lot of memory resources. GOD bless!
NuniPio
yea ive formatted and defragmented my other partition, its all getting better now i guess, i dont noe how but the graphics card is much cooler than before.. althought its still hot. and my cpu is in the 40s, strange isnt it. but is there a better option than just replacing the hardrive? there has to be some way of getting that lost space back, how can i recover bad sectors? ive tried chkdisk many times
SoftStag
NuniPio wrote:
is there a better option than just replacing the hardrive? there has to be some way of getting that lost space back, how can i recover bad sectors? ive tried chkdisk many times

You can try deleting and recreating the partition, then formatting, but quite frankly the hard drive appears to be on the way out, and the "missing" part would appear to be faulty. If this can be made to work again, it will only fail again resulting in corrupt files etc. Hard drives showing these symptoms only ever get worse. Change it before you lose the lot.
NuniPio
SoftStag wrote:
NuniPio wrote:
is there a better option than just replacing the hardrive? there has to be some way of getting that lost space back, how can i recover bad sectors? ive tried chkdisk many times

You can try deleting and recreating the partition, then formatting, but quite frankly the hard drive appears to be on the way out, and the "missing" part would appear to be faulty. If this can be made to work again, it will only fail again resulting in corrupt files etc. Hard drives showing these symptoms only ever get worse. Change it before you lose the lot.

hmm.. but i only got this hardrive like 4 or 5 months ago
SoftStag
NuniPio wrote:

Time for a warranty claim then.
NuniPio
SoftStag wrote:
NuniPio wrote:

Time for a warranty claim then.

but the hardrive is working fine now...would they still give me warranty?
SoftStag
You said there is missing space, presumably marked bad by chkdsk. If this is excessive, then it will be classed as a faulty drive
TabletPCUser
NuniPio wrote:
TabletPCUser wrote:

would that work for an x800?

x800 is a relatively new card, so it must have a temp probe built-in. I would assume that Riva Tuner would support it, since it supports most nVidia and ATI cards.
NuniPio
according to rivatuner my gfx temps are fine Very Happy but in certain the problems are the hardrive now, i also realised that when i try to optimize C: drive using speed disk (from norton systemworks) it freezes but i can defragment normally using the defrag program under system tools. i really dont want to get a new hardrive through warranty as i have lots and lots of valuable data which will take quite a few dvd to backup. my hardrive is a seagate 120gig SATA. any1 got suggestions? other than get a new hardrive. thanks
alkady
yjwong wrote:

Well actually he can use a thermometer, No I'm just being scarcastic. But if made sure he is protected from static electricity he could rub the card all day if he wanted too and it can be used again without any harm.
NuniPio
i was actually touching the heatsink when i was checking the temperature
Donutey
TabletPCUser wrote:
Oh, for the RAM, I think you need an external temperature probe and a digital thermometer connected to that. Alternative is to get a laser-based thermometer, which are a bit expensive, but very accurate (and you can read point-temperatures everywhere!).

i have one!! they're about $50, i sort of inherited it from my dad which he used some at his job. Rolling Eyes
Biodiesel
NuniPio wrote:
photon wrote:

well i meant to say that the heat from my graphics card is heating my cpu heatsink..and my gfx card is an x800 agp

Get an external water-cooled system. It might cost something upfront, but you will be able to use it on every system you have from here on out. Also, a water cooled system will allow your fans to cool the board and dissipate extra heat created by power, cards, and other forms of PC self indulgence javascript:emoticon('Twisted Evil')
Twisted Evil
4ndY
Almost all newer graphic cards have temp sensor on GPU, and you can see temperature of GPU in graphics driver (for example in Catalyst -> Overdrive).

I replace almost all fans in my computer with passive coolers = noiseless system, because my comp is always on and near my bed (i cant sleep with much noise Smile )
Passive on GPU: http://www.zalman.co.kr/usa/product/view_slide.asp?idx=46&idm=1
only left 3 fans: 1 on CPU - very silent, and 2 fans in Tagan (10db).
Temperature? well... CPU 50-60 (hot prescott), GPU 30-35 (R9600XT).
But most concerne are my HDDs: 45-55 (Seagate) Sad
Im thinking on building myself water cooling for proc and HDDs Smile
jerski
I would suggest you buy a new hard drive and transfer everything accross. As this one is almost full it is a good time to get a bigger one. I think this will resolve your lag problems also.
Vashni
I have one of the new Aspire X-Cruiser cases. Its really nice it has a temp and fan speed gauge on it so you can see where your at. I have 5 or 6 fans in there too, so i never have a problem with overheating anything.
NuniPio
ok.. most of your suggestions were leading to spending money which was my very very last option.. so this is what i did.. formatted windows drive and reinstalled windows.. deleted any old games and other files which were unused, and backed up stuff to dvd.. then ran a defrag on that partition.. and now no more problems Very Happy cheers and thanx for ya help guys
Blackangel
Can anyone post any info on valid or at leat acceptable temperatures for cpus nad GFX cards? Cause just knowing the temp does not help if we dont know what is the limit.
andy26
does this part of the game usually lagg usually lag in games is due to high draw distance or lots of modles moving in a close range this is usually due to low ram and low prossessor speeds
NuniPio
andy26 wrote:
does this part of the game usually lagg usually lag in games is due to high draw distance or lots of modles moving in a close range this is usually due to low ram and low prossessor speeds

actually the problem is fixed and it was neither ram nor processor that was causing the problem. thanks anyway
andy26
what was it then if you dont mind me asking
matysaf
Nice cooling, but rear ventilator (looks like 80mm) is definitely too small, cut some biger hole and put there some 120mm ventilator.
If your gcard don't have temp sensor you will not check the temperature on it :/.
NuniPio
andy26 wrote:
what was it then if you dont mind me asking

believe it or not it was the hardrive
traum
(resubmitted)
traum
hokay, so firefox crapped out on me, but i'll write this again.

I've seen laser temperature monitoring devices used, but that'd be a bit tedious to take the cover off of your case each time, take the temp, and put the cover back on, and it doesnt provide any sort of constant monitoring system. (ie, you cant glance over and see the temperature) Also, if you're measuring the surface of the component (the part thats being cooled by fluid (air) flow) wont there be hot spots, say between the component and the motherboard? What if you placed a thermocouple (a device which measures temperature) between the component and the motherboard. By doing so, you'd be monitoring temperature at the place at which the component has its highest temperature, therefore the rest of the component would have to be cooler than that spot. THUS, if you had to take corrective actions when the component reached a certain temperature, you could be certain that the rest of the component (not only the temperature monitored spot) would have a lower temperature than the measured spot, and that the component would not incur any damages.

Thus concludes my ramblings on temperature monitoring. (defered from knowlege of temperature monitoring on US Submarines)
xodia
yjwong wrote:

i would also say speedfan
NuniPio
speedfan doesnt give the temp from the graphics card, but RivaTuner does
The3dx
i have the Nvidia 7800GT and my temp is 51"
and that is normally...
it's can get even to 80" or over while i play...
it's ok...nothing append to it...
i got a software with the driver CD...i think it's called...anlaize 5 or somthing like that...
NuniPio
The3dx wrote:
i have the Nvidia 7800GT and my temp is 51"
and that is normally...
it's can get even to 80" or over while i play...
it's ok...nothing append to it...
i got a software with the driver CD...i think it's called...anlaize 5 or somthing like that...

does that software only work with nvidia cards?
metalhammer5
hey guys...this is kinda like an irrelevant post...but there's something that i need to ask...i have an HP pavilion g6 with a 1GB Ati radeon 6470m dedicated graphic card...also i have intel hd graphics...and both of these are shown in the device manager as well as the system information...now...when i run any game...say Devil may cry 4...it says that my graphic is intel hd graphics...i feel as if the radeon card is not being used at all...plus on dxdiag..."display" tab...it says the card name is intel hd graphics...i can't see the ati radeon at all...any help on this would be greatly appreciated....