FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photoshop, HTML, What?!?

papamurphy
Ok, the title may be a bit off, but it was the best I can think of. Once I get enough posts under my belt, and get approved for a website (which I want to have a start on), I want to have a good looking layout. I have recentlyl gotten really into anime, and was thinking it would be fun to do a site somewhere along those lines. Anyway I was curious as to how one got layouts to work like the one used on this site: http://www.animeyume.org/index.php

I do not want to rip it off by any means, but I do like how it is put together. I don't own photoshop, but I do have a photo editing program (GIMP), and I can use HTML to a certain degree, so how should I go about designing a nice layout like the one seen above? Thank you so much for any help!
clip
those were just an image, sliced and then exported from macromedia fireworks or adobe photoshop. I don't really know if GIMP can do slices, I have used one just yet. If you're wondering what this means, well, the softnyx website would be a good example. They have an image that is sliced and diced into small squares and tables are used to actually glue them together. Adobe and Fireworks lets you draw the layout from an image and the program will just automatically make your html code after.

(I have a bad feeling that I ran in circles... Embarassed )
papamurphy
So you think I need to get Photoshop or Macromedia Fireworks? If Photoshop follows the same pricing as Adobe Acrobat it will be quite expensive. I guess I will have to choose something else, unless someone knows if GIMP can do tihs or not. Thanks for you help though, I think I am beginning to understand. Also Bleach is awesome Very Happy
Nikkori
Here is another site that uses image slicing and dicing -Gunbound. Its images are sliced in order to shorten browser-loading time. Thus, images are not too heavy for the browser. Just drag from text up to the images and beyond the header. Have a good day!