FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Producers

madsencarl
Have you seen The Producers yet? What did you think of it?

Personally, I thought it was way overrated, but still a great movie. I didn't really like the whole "musical" aspect of it, the didn't show THAT in the trailer! Sometimes it got a bit boring with all the sing song lullaby crap that Mel Brooks put into it, but in the end it turned out all good.
Scaramanga
madsencarl wrote:

Personally, I thought it was way overrated, but still a great movie. I didn't really like the whole "musical" aspect of it, the didn't show THAT in the trailer! Sometimes it got a bit boring with all the sing song lullaby crap that Mel Brooks put into it, but in the end it turned out all good.

How did you NOT know this film was a musical?? First, it's based on a Broadway musical, which in turn was based on the 1968 movie of the same name (also by Mel Brooks.) You'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard about this being a musical. Surprised
madsencarl
Scaramanga wrote:
madsencarl wrote:

How did you NOT know this film was a musical?? First, it's based on a Broadway musical, which in turn was based on the 1968 movie of the same name (also by Mel Brooks.) You'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard about this being a musical. Surprised

Yeh, well, I wasn't really alive in 1968. I'm from Australia - no broadway here. And I don't really keep tabs on all old movies and musicals - not me.
pudovkin
hehehehe

I haven't seen yet, but I'm willing to.
The cast and the script looks so atractive.
I didn't watched the previous version of it, from Mel Brooks. Anybody did and can post some thoughts and comparisons?
LostOverThere
Different people like different movies.

I think Mel Brookes did a fantastic job! Surprised
jammin420s
I am a musical fanatic, and i must say that this movie was a very well played out movie. It's sort of sad that it didnt do too well in the Box Office. It was a great movie, and also Uma Thurman is really hot. Surprised
ChrisCh
madsencarl wrote:

Yeh, well, I wasn't really alive in 1968. I'm from Australia - no broadway here. And I don't really keep tabs on all old movies and musicals - not me.

Lol im from australia too, and we still get all the big musicals! The Producers toured the country in the second-half of last year!

i would have to say though that the movie is nowhere near as good as the stage show...
cortez_tb
great movie , and great actors ... haven't seen it yet.. only some captures
linangan
"The Producers" opens like an old fashioned movie musical, and as with any remake it's tricky not to compare it to the original. For my money though, this version is superior to the 1968 film. All the essential elements are there; Mel Brooks' over the top humour, disturbingly catchy songs (I challenge you not to be humming "Springtime for Hitler" on your way our of the movie theatre)and more innuendo than you can shake a stick at. What's different, is better. Nathan Lane makes Max Bialystock,the failing Broadway producer much more watchable as he manages to be slimy yet lovable - No mean feat. And although it may seem blasphemous to Gene Wilder fans, Matthew Broderick is superb in the role of Leo Bloom ( Max's snivelling accountant), bringing to the part a vulnerable yet laughable quality which does him credit. Uma Thurman sends up the clueless Ulla beautifully and Will Ferrel is on top form as the crazed nazi turned playwright Franz Leibkind.