FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

900MHz Wireless Internet

Clergy
Hey there all:

I was wondering if anyone in the Michigan area knew of any business investors?

My step father and I are attempting to get a 900MHz wireless ISP on the air, but are running into initial capital issues (always the way). We already have enough clients lined up to allow for immediate Return on Investment (ROI), but no means to get up and running. We also have quite a bit of experience dealing with RF (we're both HAM operators) and are aware of many people's skepticism, but the truth is that we have made it work in other places and would like to bring it here. The purpose is to allow for high speed Internet to the rural communities. Right now, where we live, the only accessible ISPs are all dial-up (Satellite won't even install out here).

If anyone knows anyone that would be interested in such a venture, please let me know as we would very much like to get it up and running ASAP.

By the way, we have just about everything we need at the ready. We need to purchase the T1 and a couple other piece of hardware, but we are ready to plug in the toys and flip on the switch, elsewise.
jaysen
i am curous why the 900 mhz band? it was my assumption the 2.4 band was set aside as a free band for that purpose, and most hardware for wireless internet is set up for that band.

wouldn't sharing your signal with a bunch of cordless telephones make for some interesting problems? Or am i misunderstanding here....
Clergy
jaysen wrote:
i am curous why the 900 mhz band? it was my assumption the 2.4 band was set aside as a free band for that purpose, and most hardware for wireless internet is set up for that band.

wouldn't sharing your signal with a bunch of cordless telephones make for some interesting problems? Or am i misunderstanding here....

There are phones on 2400 (2.4Ghz) band as well. and 5.8. In fact, the most common cordless purchased is 2.4GHz. In addition, though it is possible for the phone to drop the connection, we have not yet witnessed it.

2.4 is typically network WiFi. There are many who sell 2.4 as an ISP, but truth be told, it sucks. Molecules can get in the way of a 2.4GHz wave. 900 MHz is a license free band allowing for commercial use and is much better because the wave travels further and goes around terrain much better.

Doesn't matter what most hardware and wireless internet is set up for since the internet doesn't care what frequency you are on and clients would be getting the 900MHz equipment upon ordering. If they want to network internally, they still use the standard 2.4GHz routing system. Our equipment does not interfere with that in any way.

Simply put, 900MHz is exponentially better than 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz requires LOS where 900 does not. 900 travels further, ignores much more terrain, and interferes with less hardware.
ericbobson
I really like this idea of wireless internet being available for huge areas (large cities etc.) I've read about it but never experienced it myself... I wish there was something like it in the uk...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[<0 0>]
[ I ]
[<<>>]
ericbobson
I really like this idea of wireless internet being available for huge areas (large cities etc.) I've read about it but never experienced it myself... I wish there was something like it in the uk...

[<0 0>]
[ I ]
[<<>>]
nntien
jaysen wrote:

There are phones on 2400 (2.4Ghz) band as well. and 5.8. In fact, the most common cordless purchased is 2.4GHz. In addition, though it is possible for the phone to drop the connection, we have not yet witnessed it.

2.4 is typically network WiFi. There are many who sell 2.4 as an ISP, but truth be told, it sucks. Molecules can get in the way of a 2.4GHz wave. 900 MHz is a license free band allowing for commercial use and is much better because the wave travels further and goes around terrain much better.

Doesn't matter what most hardware and wireless internet is set up for since the internet doesn't care what frequency you are on and clients would be getting the 900MHz equipment upon ordering. If they want to network internally, they still use the standard 2.4GHz routing system. Our equipment does not interfere with that in any way.

Simply put, 900MHz is exponentially better than 2.4GHz. 2.4GHz requires LOS where 900 does not. 900 travels further, ignores much more terrain, and interferes with less hardware.[...]

Yes, that's right! I think you give everybody the knowledge!
Clergy
ericbobson wrote:

[<0 0>]
[ I ]
[<<>>]

I could handle a move. Very Happy You pay travel expenses and intial start-up, and I am there without question. Smile

hehe...

Actually though, since the more urban areas already have a plethora of choices, we try to focus on the more rural areas... places that have only dial-up. The reason is that we can easily get where cable companies can't and where most satellite companies won't.