FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Live Theatre

Clergy
Hmmm... no live theatre forum so I guess this is the closest I will get.

If anyone else is a fan of live theatre, post here.

I prefer more plays than musicals, but there are a few good musicals out there such as Avenue Q, Falsettos, and Rent.
xoxmeholly
I have friends that always star in live theatre. In Choir last year, we did the musical "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown." I was only in the choir, since I haven't the guts to try out. I would love to be in a musical or in theatre. I love the whole experience, and I love watching.

Anyone in theatre/musicals?
Clergy
I'm currently trying to get more work in the theatre realm, but it would appear as though I went to school to be a waiter. *sigh* Ah well. C'est la vie. Last show I designed was "Hello Dolly" down in Tucson, and last one I was in was... err... umm... a while ago. Can't quite remember. It's on my resume, but I am too lazy to look at the moment. hehe...

I am trying to get a job at a theatre in Scotland for in-house permanent Lighting Designer. Not sure how that's gonna go though.
Magicoman
There's nothing like a great experience at a live theatre... unfortunately
more and more live performances are being marred by the use of multimedia, which detracts from the power of performance and detatches the audience from the actors... WE NEED MORE RAW THEATRE!!!
Clergy
Magicoman wrote:
There's nothing like a great experience at a live theatre... unfortunately
more and more live performances are being marred by the use of multimedia, which detracts from the power of performance and detatches the audience from the actors... WE NEED MORE RAW THEATRE!!!

I don't know if they're being marred from multimedia as much as they're being ignored due to multi-media. And I guess, in a way, they are being marred in that the story is never the same as it is onstage... it's much like when they make a movie based on a book. And as you said, it definitely does detract from the audience/actor relationship. There is nothing more powerful than being AT the performance. And there is nothing more challenging for an actor than NOT being able to go back and edit the mistakes. I have done both stage and tv work and the tv work was just too cold. There was no reaction, no audience laughter or applause for me to feed off of... nothing.
And there is also nothing like hearing "We open tomorrow and such and such set piece isn't done yet." hehe...
I think live theatre really teaches people how to pull together.

That's one thing that has always bothered me about the academic world. They always support the athletics because it 'teaches teamwork'. I disagree. If I were a quarterback on a football team, I could run the ball and make a touchdown all by myself and I would be considered a hero. But if I were an actor onstage and broke out into a monologue that wasn't in the script, I would destroy the show.

But I am a little bitter in that regard.
kung_fu_stu
As an actor it is depressing to see the lack of interest in live theatre. So many people are content with simply glueing their faces to the television, or only leaving the house to watch a movie. With the price they charge for movie tickets these days going to see a play can end up more or less the same price.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy a little tv series or movie, but people get off your butts and enjoy the thrill of live theatre.
Clergy
kung_fu_stu wrote:
As an actor it is depressing to see the lack of interest in live theatre. So many people are content with simply glueing their faces to the television, or only leaving the house to watch a movie. With the price they charge for movie tickets these days going to see a play can end up more or less the same price.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy a little tv series or movie, but people get off your butts and enjoy the thrill of live theatre.

As an actor, myself, I agree and disagree here.
I disagree because the TV/cinema has something to offer that the live theatre does not. There is a wider choice within the realm of film. If you don't like it (TV), you can change it, TV is free, renting movies are cheap, etc.

I agree with you, however, for many more reasons.
Live theatre is more thrilling, it takes more work and skill (in my opinion), both from the actor, the designer, the technician, and the director, to make a show successful. YOu never know what to expect in live theatre as there is no 'editing' to go back to. There is a stronger emotional bond with the audience and the show (when you're that much closer to the actor, seeing it live, you can feel what you're supposed to), the suspension of disbelief is much more thrilling in live theatre, there is a wide range of things that can occur to keep the audience involved with the actor (everything from breaking the 4th wall verbally to breaking the 4th wall physically to style, lighting, actor's choices, etc). Various stage styles (Proscenium, Thrust, Arena, etc.) allow for different experiences within the same play. For example, I saw Sam Shepherd's Angel City in proscenium. I have also seen it in thrust. The experience was different from the acting styles needed for each type of stage alone.
I would be forced to disagree with you on cost. If you are speaking of local community theatre, it is still more expensive than going to a movie (by roughly 4 dollars as an average), but once you get popcorn and a coke at the movies, that number is evened out. However, if you go a step over community theatre and go to see a professional show, tickets can cost anywhere from $20USD to $70USD each.

Also, the most comon type of movie seen is action. There aren't too many live theatre action plays. It's tough to get people who aren't interested in culture, those who just want to see something blow up, to go see a show.

IN summary, as an actor and theatre lighting designer... it is depressing to me too. I have worked both film and stage and much prefer the warmth of the stage over the cold sessions of a filming.
DawningLight
Quote:
I prefer more plays than musicals, but there are a few good musicals out there such as Avenue Q, Falsettos, and Rent.

Sad Now that I have to disagree with...Musicals are my favourite form of theatre. I blame my mum, who took me to see the film version of 7 brides for 7 brothers when I was a child, form that moment I was hooked.
When I discovered live theatre and realised that they showed musicals there too I was in heaven.

Since becoming an adult I have been lucky enough to live in London and be close to so many major productions, and even now I live close to a major city so can easily see the shows I want to when they tour.

Favourite one has to be 'Miss Saigon', which I hope to see again in March.
Least favourite...hmm...not sure I have one...almost every show has something which I enjoy and appreciate, from the quality of the performances to the quality of the sets and the amazing way they do scenery changes in the theatre.

Recently we took our small daughter to the theatre for the first time and she was enthralled. It seems such a shame that so many children are growing up only ever seeing film and tv. They are deprived of all the joy a live performance can bring.