FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

cPanel permissions problem.

Texas Al
Has anybody ever tried to change the permissions of a file that's 755? I try to change them, and it acts like it did, but they stay 755. The reason I'm trying to change them in the first place is that I installed the SimpleBoard component for Mambo, and needed to edit a file but my edits were silently being ignored. I'd save it, it wouldn't give me any errors, but when I opened the file, it was right back where it was.

On a semi-related note, is there no way to select and move multiple files within the file system? Is there a way to gzip just one directory instead of the whole account? Because then at least I could download that directory, upload it again, and uncompress it at a different part of the file-system.

Thanks.
kv
I guess the problem of permissions is because the cpanel user and the user which installed the SimpleBoard component for Mambo are different.

As far as the move is concerned, you can download a backup of your site, extract it, gzip the files you want to move, upload it to top directory where you want to extract it. Extract option should be available in file manager.

A quick way to accomplish the same would be to set a cron job to "mv" your directory and remove it once it is done.
mOrpheuS
You CAN move folders within your account without gzipping them downloading and re-extracting.

I'd written it down here once and don't feel like typing again.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=12729#12729

hope I understood you right and am talking about what you want.
Wink

p.s. - why not download, edit and upload the "rogue" file ?
by the way, shouldn't the file permissions be 644 or 600 ?
755 and 777 are usually standards for folders. Confused