FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Runaway Camel Survives Bumpy Ride

glennesau
Quote:
HAVANA, Ill. - So, how do you lose a camel? That was the question when Leroy Bollinger checked his trailer after stopping for gas Wednesday and found that the six-to-seven-foot-tall camel back there when he started his trip wasn't there any more.

Bollinger called police in this small central Illinois town, along the Illinois River southwest of Peoria, and the camel hunt was on.

An hour after the two-county search began, Bollinger's son, Robert spotted the four-month-old male camel named Bocephalus about 10 miles west of the Illinois River along U.S. 24.

Bocephalus was bruised and scratched, which isn't too bad considering that the camel apparently hopped the trailer's four-foot gate as it whizzed along the highway at 55 mph, said Bollinger.

"He's in pretty good shape for having jumped out the back of a horse trailer," said Bollinger, of Rushville, about 30 miles southwest of Havana.

Though the camel was sore and uncomfortable, Bollinger said it is expected to make a full recovery.

Bollinger says he bought the camel to train him for children's rides. He also has been used in live Nativity scenes.

---------Comcast.net strange news

Quote:
So, how do you lose a camel? That was the question when Leroy Bollinger checked his trailer after stopping for gas Wednesday and found that the six-to-seven-foot-tall camel back there when he started his trip wasn't there any more.

well in a post that I made not too long ago, about a cow excaping a slauter house, maybe the camel read that and decided to be like the cow.

Quote:
An hour after the two-county search began, Bollinger's son, Robert spotted the four-month-old male camel named Bocephalus about 10 miles west of the Illinois River along U.S. 24.

Bocephalus was bruised and scratched, which isn't too bad considering that the camel apparently hopped the trailer's four-foot gate as it whizzed along the highway at 55 mph, said Bollinger.

are we sure that the gate is the cause of the camel getting cuts and bruises?

Quote:
Though the camel was sore and uncomfortable, Bollinger said it is expected to make a full recovery.

I would be sore and uncomfortable too if I had to run away from my owner "I'm not owned, just a figure of speach" and he cought me and brought me back.

Quote:
Bollinger says he bought the camel to train him for children's rides.

Childrens rides huh? how many times is this camel going to run away with a child on it's back? Mad
Tiger
Obviously the animal was tired of standing in the horse trailer, and decided to leave. He probably didn't realise the speed at which the vehicle was moving. It seems that he was a young camel, and so obviously isn't too experienced in cross-country travel - especially in a horse trailer.

Since a horse-trailer wasn't designed to transport camels, which are taller, it was obviously easy for the beast to jump out. Hopefully the owner will make sure he uses a more suitable vehicle for transporting the camel in future, or keeps him in place with soft ropes (shorter trips).

It's amazing how often people forget that animals are living creatures with minds of there own. Luckily the camel wasn't seriously injured and no other damage was done. Imagine if he'd fallen in front of a car on the highway?

As for the kids rides, I don't think jumping from a moving trailer on a highway makes him dangerous to children. His bite may be more damaging! Let's hope he has a good, safe life from here on out.