FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Whale in River Thames Causes a Wave

Custom
Anyone here about that lol it was funny this whale swam up and got stuck cus the Thames is to shallow for it need more info on the story head over to bbc.co.uk!
naz
Just saw it in the news. i find it quite disturbing that we have infiltrated the oceans that much,that wales are swimming in our lakes. If I'm not misstaken they landed there due to 'ocean-noises' or because they're already 'deaf'.

i think such events should remind us,that we're not alone in this planet...
glennesau

Quote:
LONDON - Rescuers and port officials on Saturday were alongside a whale that has been stranded in London's River Thames for more than a day as concerns grew for the animal.

The northern bottle-nosed whale _ the first sighted in the river since 1913 _ was in the water close to London's Albert Bridge. On Friday it had flailed through the murky waters of the Thames passed the Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, watched by hundreds of curious onlookers.

The animal disappeared from view around 5:30 p.m. Friday after diving under the surface of the water in fading light, but was spotted again in the early hours of Saturday struggling against the tide.

"It has moved, but it just keeps coming back with the tide. It's a case of one step forward and one step back," said Martin Garside, of the Port of London Authority.

Alan Knight from the British Divers Marine Life Rescue group said the situation was becoming difficult, with low tide due at around noon Saturday.

The Port of London Authority has boats ready to be deployed in case the whale becomes stranded in low tide.

"In the next five or six hours the tide is dropping. If he is going to strand it will happen in the next few hours," Knight said.

"A whale in the shallow water of the River Thames is like a human lost in the heat of the Sahara desert," said Laila Sadler, scientific officer at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. She estimated it could survive only for 24 to 48 hours in a river that has an average depth of between 20 and 26 feet.

"It also seems to be in distress, it has made two seemingly deliberate attempts to beach itself," Sadler said.

Witnesses reported seeing injuries to the mammal, claiming its snout was bloodied. Photos also appeared to show damage to one of the whale's eyes and a number of cuts to its torso, though Sadler said these are not uncommon.

Several onlookers jumped into the river's 48-degree water Friday after the mammal emerged, splashing to coax it away from shore.

The whale _ which is about 17 feet long _ is normally seen in the deep northern Atlantic, diving deeply and traveling in pods. They can reach lengths of 26 feet _ the size of a traditional red double-decker London bus.

When sick, old or injured, whales often get disoriented and swim off from their pod, said Mark Simmonds, science director at Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society, although witnesses reported seeing a second whale in a different section of the river Friday.

Last week marine officials said they saw two bottle-nosed whales in northeastern Scotland when the mammals are normally seen in northwestern Scotland. That, coupled with the second sighting Friday, could suggest that something is disrupting the whales, Sadler said.

Scientists have said fluctuating ocean temperatures, predators, lack of food and even sonar from ships can send whales into waters that are dangerous for the mammals.

"It's extremely rare for one to turn up in a river in the United Kingdom. I suspect that the animal may be in ill health," said Tony Martin, a senior scientist with the British Antarctic Survey.

"It's going to be very confused. It's already stranded twice. The poor creature doesn't know where to go."

The whale drew hundreds of people and scores of television crews to the river's banks and captivated Londoners who called radio and television stations asking if they could help.

-------Comcast.net Strange News

Is this Brittans way of making a new "Free Willie" movie?

Quote:
"It's extremely rare for one to turn up in a river in the United Kingdom. I suspect that the animal may be in ill health," said Tony Martin, a senior scientist with the British Antarctic Survey.

"It's going to be very confused. It's already stranded twice. The poor creature doesn't know where to go."

I think it would be extreamly rare for any sea creature such as a whale to show up in any local river.

And of course the creature dosen't know where to go. How often to whales ask for directions.

Quote:
The whale drew hundreds of people and scores of television crews to the river's banks and captivated Londoners who called radio and television stations asking if they could help.

Yep, as i said, yet another free willie movie.

Quote:
"It also seems to be in distress, it has made two seemingly deliberate attempts to beach itself," Sadler said.

Witnesses reported seeing injuries to the mammal, claiming its snout was bloodied. Photos also appeared to show damage to one of the whale's eyes and a number of cuts to its torso, though Sadler said these are not uncommon.

even though I poked fun at this article, I feel bad for the whale. Sounds to me like he has had a long struggle and needs help. Hopefully they can get some help for this poor whale. Sad
Tiger
A sad report that reflects the current state of our planet. Worse, very few people seem to care!

Scientists have already said that the earth's climate has changed irreversably. My personal experience tells me that the weather patterns are definitely not the same as they once were.

I think that things like ship's sonar and ocean pollution are probably the main causes of this kind of event. I think that the average person just doesn't have any idea of how polluted our oceans truly are! I've heard of tin cans and bottles being found on the beaches of islands in the middle of nowhere - brought in by the tides and ocean currents.

In certain parts of the world, over-fishing has also caused a lot of damage, and for whales and dolphins this is also bad news.

One wonders how long this will continue. It's sad really.
otiscom
Unfortunately the whale died when they tried to take it out to deeper water.

I think, listening to the experts, it was all but dead when it entered the river.

They are normaly found in the north Atlantic so to end up in the Thames, (totaly wrong side of our country) it must have been very confused.

Hoever, by entering the river it was heading west, back towards the Atlantic!

It is sad, but nature works in mysterious ways.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that global warming (or other recent band-wagons) are to blame.