FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to Block shared network drive accesss for Limited User??

cheeta
in a simple WorkGroup network there are 20 systems... all running windows XP SP2....

how do i block shared network drive access to all the restricted users (Called Limited User in winXP Very Happy) of those systems... but makeing sure admin users dont have any trouble to accessing share network drives...

i prefer to do this as from windows XP internel settings like group policy or local security settings... i would like to stay way from 3rd party software....

pls help me out...

thnx...
Animal
I'm not sure if you can filter out by user type, but you could put a password on the networked folder using the Windows XP "Sharing and Security" dialog and just give the password out to system admins?
kv
Go to your shared drive/folder properties, sharing & secirity tab. Remove the "Everyone" entry and add "Administrators" group. Click ok. Voila!!
prongs_386
im not sure if kv is correct, but I'm pretty sure everyone who is from an outside computer is classed as a guest, if they are an admin on thier computer, it doesnt mean they are an admin on your's. I think this would have to be done with a domain server.