FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Narnia - the lion, the wardrobe and the witch

aandwkitchens
i just finished reading the bk narnia, it took me a wk to read it! i wanna read the bk b4 i watch the movie, in the end, i was just in time to c the movie! Laughing but they're quite different in some circumstances. yea, it's a gd bk. i like the bk better than the movie actually...
crdowner
People always say books are better than movies. I guess I will find out soon. I am reading Angels and Demons and then I plan to read the Di Vinci Code before the movie comes out. I am sure it is difficult to do some things in a movie that can easily be done with writing. Maybe that is the key.
nealio1000
it should be called the Jesus, the jesus, and more jesus.
benwhite
That's not true. Any child reading the Narnia books would have no idea of the allusions to Christianity. I read them when I was in grade school before this big mess over its Christian themes in the wake of the movie, and I had no idea. Unless someone tells them, small children don't usually comprehend such references because they haven't yet learned about them in schools. Regardless of Lewis' background, they're just good stories inspired by his faith. Trust me, I definitely don't go looking for religious works of fiction, but this is a bit different.
lycadia
If certain types of christians hadn't tainted it as a book by raising such a fuss about it's religious overtones, thereby biasing the perceptions of children reading it.

Honestly, I read it as a child, I took comfort in it, it gave me joy. I did not consider it religious, I did not pick up on any religious undertones, subtexts or themes.

To think that now, my nieces and nephews read it, and having been told about the whole christ allegory, can only really view it through that lens seriously irritates me.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to view things through their faith and recommending it to others on that basis, but having it trumpeted as Christian allegory so widely and loudly really seems to do it a disservice as a book in it's own right and to readers who don't care to have thier children or themselves indoctrinated into Christianity.

I literally read the series differently and with less pleasure now than I did when I was somewhat younger because now other people's conceptions of it have intruded on my own.

I also think it's a shame that lately most of the people I talk to especially in real life (IE, face to face) only seem capible or willing to read a book once it's in production as a movie or, worse, after seeing it as a movie.

But that's my rant for the day and I'm hopely biased, so take it for that you will.
papamurphy
If Narnia is Jesus, Jesus, and more Jesus, then where does that leave The Lord of The Rings? I have read both a few times, and I have done a research paper on the Christian symbols in LOTR. There are TONS. If writers want to let their works be influenced by their religion, who cares, no one is making you read them, that is unless you are forced to read them Confused .
Guyon
The Chronicles of Narnia the lion the witch the wardrobe was a very good Book! It was very detailed and the situations were very unpredictale. If you are the type that likes to read the book and then watch the movie, and they are both very similar this is a great book and movie combination!

[i]I[b]F YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK AND WANTED TO, DON'T READ![/b][/i]
The story is about 4 kids that had to go to another home because of the bombing in wars in London. They go to a smart professors house and play hide-and-go-seek. Lucy (the youngest of the 4) finds a wardrobe and meets a faun named Mr. Tumnus. She asked him where they were, and he replied "Narnia". They talked in his welcoming home, and had a small conversation. He then told her that she shouldn't be here, and that she needs to leave NOW. Lucy didn't understand but she left with her friend. She asked Edmund to come one day and he came with her (the 2nd youngest) he came and got lost and found the White Witch. She Gave him Turkish Delight, and something to drink. Then she invited him to her castle someday with his brother and sisters. He said ok and went on.

I still need to finish it up

UNFINISHED
Annush_K
I read it forthe first time when I was 7 or so and liked it a lot, but when I got it again at about 13, I found it a tad too childish and boring. Confused I still like it, and I love the lion, but the view of adults squealing at the word 'Aslan' isn't really pleasant for me.

Personally I was raised in an atheist society, and maybe that's why I didn't see any religious symbols now, and I didn't see them then. My opinion is, if people WANT to find Jesus, they'll find it anywhere.
tony
i watched the movie. i loved it but have not read the book. does anyone know if the other books will be made into movies as well? i understand they are not in chronoligical order...
tkGER
I also read the movie when I was young (No more than 8 years, for sure). I really liked it. When I saw the movie coming out I thought "great!" But then I saw it. I'd forgotten that it was meant for kids and not this bearded guy I've become Laughing
And for Jesusjesusjesus Guy: signs are always there if you look for them. You can always find signs. For example, you can say that the wolf in Little Riding Hood symbolises the pedophile rapers and the woodsman is god punishing him. It's all relative, it depends on your mind, not on the writer. He was catholic (or so I think, otherwise this wouldn't be thought of as it wouldn't make sense) and he may have taken ideas from the bible (perhaps unconsciously) which, after all, in my opinion, is just a popular book, which has good ideas that can be taken as basis for other stories Rolling Eyes
palavra
tkGER wrote:
I also read the movie when I was young (No more than 8 years, for sure). I really liked it. When I saw the movie coming out I thought "great!" But then I saw it. I'd forgotten that it was meant for kids and not this bearded guy I've become Laughing

agreed...

only unchanged delight was "Turkish delight" (LOKUM)

http://www.quibrescia.it/viaggiatoreturchia0/lokum.jpg

http://www.maliye.gov.tr/defterdarliklar/afyon/afyon_dosyalar/lokum.jpg

http://www.afyonkarahisar.gov.tr/markalar/img/lokum.jpg

http://www.erishelva.com.tr/assets/photos/products/lokum.jpg

they are wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
elincinerador
aandwkitchens wrote:
i like the bk better than the movie actually...

that's for sure. no movie of a book can be never better than the book if they stick loyal to it, because it's a reflection that lost some elements, therefore incomplete. and, if in any case (i don't know of any one) the movie is better than the book, then we're speaking of two different stories with similar stuff.
i loved this book, i read also in these series the magician's nephew which i liked it a lot (i found even more references to christianity here than in the lion...).
lycadia
elincinerador wrote:
aandwkitchens wrote:
i like the bk better than the movie actually...

that's for sure. no movie of a book can be never better than the book if they stick loyal to it, because it's a reflection that lost some elements, therefore incomplete. and, if in any case (i don't know of any one) the movie is better than the book, then we're speaking of two different stories with similar stuff.
i loved this book, i read also in these series the magician's nephew which i liked it a lot (i found even more references to christianity here than in the lion...).

I couldn't agree more. It's also a matter of the inability of movies to be as personally meaningful as the precise images that one's own mind creates when reading the book. Nothing, no matter how true to the book as printed, will be true to the reader's / Viewer's own perception of the book, becuase perception is always colored by and comes from within us.

As to The Magician's Nephew, I haven't read it in a few years, but I think that's the one where they more or less explain that Aslan represents Christ... That or The Last Battle. There was some point at which it becomes radically clearer and thus diminished my enjoyment....

Speaking of The Magician's Nephew, I've been looking at the new repackaging and reprinting of the series.... Am I the only one who's annoyed that someone has appearantly decided that The Magician's Nephew should be the First book, inspite of it clearly having been published last, written last and serving as a prequal?