FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Stem Cell Research

wlaudlim
It is all about Ethic issue.

You may believe Stem cell research will open new era for therapy of human disease. But there has been no evidence that it will surely do.

Also don't you think human cell cloning by using embryos without any consideration of human life and woman's dignity will jeopardise our society?

Look at what Korean stemm cell researcher Hwang and his group did!!!
they illegally tried to catch women's ova and decieve their research result only for money!!!

If we can't control such kind of disgusting researches by greedy scientists,
how can you stand disastrous result like human cloning?

We should stop government use even one penny of tax for supporting embryonic stem cell research.
crdowner
I agree that cloning has some very serious ethical and scientific concerns. I for one am not for cloning.

I have no problem with certain types of stem cell research. I do think it is wrong to use stem cells from aborted fetuses. Using stem cells from umbilical cords does not bother me though.

I also know that regardless of how much governments attempt to restrict cloning, etc. somebody, somewhere is still going to do it. Personally I think "man" has over stepped his bounds in several ways. I know man thinks he is making things better but we have no idea what the reprecussions of those improvements are. We may never know what harm man has done by genetically engineering plants and cross breeding animals. I just think man should be more concerned about the reprecussions and less concerns about "creating" something.
Vrythramax
This is certainly a hot topic and not one that should not be taken lightly....not to mention it has all the makings of something that will surely tick off anybody with a differing view point. Most medical research has at one time or another been called "an ethical question", just look at the first disections of humans by medical students....they were called vial and digusting, and unethical for doing it, but medical science wouldn't be where it is today without them. To dismiss any kind of research simply because there is no visable proof of it being worthwhile or important is just not viable. Not many ideas started out with everyone agreeing that it was worth the time and effort, but if at least 1 person didn't try we wouldn't have gotten this far, nor would some of the most important discoveries have happened.

What I think, or feel, in this case is totally irrelevent to the subject at hand. It comes down to a matter of what is best for the whole. Stem cell research may, or may not turn out to be a boon to medical science, but I dont believe it should just be dismissed on ethical grounds. There are ways of conducting it in a way that can be socially and ethically acceptable.

Also to dismiss anything just because 1 small group of people tried to exploit it for personal gain is also not right.

The question should probably be, if stem cell research saved a member of your family's life, would you consider it unethical and disgusting, or would you just be happy that the technology was there to keep your loved one alive?

As I have pointed out in the past....I have been known to be wrong. Just my 2 cents worth.
femlow
If a fetus has been aborted, why not use it for something that may save lives? I personally dont have a problem with using aborted fetuses for stem cell research, with the exception that I dont think women should get pregnant simply for the purpose of aborting the fetus. However the possibilities for what could come of research are remarkable.

Already today, there are different forms of stem cell treatments being used to help people. The most well known is a bone marrow transplant. However the chances of finding a match are extremely small, and the cost can be up to $500,000, which is a huge burdon for a family.

Last week, one of my cousins died because they could not find a bone marrow donor in time. She was only 13 years old, and has been struggling with her health since she was diagnosed as having a malignant brain tumor at the age of three. After they treated that and it went in to remission for several years, she was diagnosed with a different type of cancer which left her needing a marrow transplant. Because they couldnt find a match in time, she passed away. I am left wondering if more advanced research into stem cells might have been able to save her, and the possibility that it could have, and that it could save unknown masses of children and other loved ones in the future, is more than enough reason for me to support stem cell research.

fem
gonzo
embryonic stem cell research: BAD

any kind of stem cell research that doesn't require slaghtering small human beings: good
Vrythramax
gonzo wrote:
embryonic stem cell research: BAD

any kind of stem cell research that doesn't require slaghtering small human beings: good

Eloquent and succinct....well spoken.
Soulfire
I agree, using embryos is unethical. Using other cells is okay.
crdowner
Quote:
If a fetus has been aborted, why not use it for something that may save lives? I personally dont have a problem with using aborted fetuses for stem cell research, with the exception that I dont think women should get pregnant simply for the purpose of aborting the fetus. However the possibilities for what could come of research are remarkable.

The fact that some women would get pregnant and abort their baby just to "donate" stemcells is what concerns me. I know the number would be very small but even one is too many in my opinion.

I also think that giving women a reason to feel "good" about aborting a baby is a step that should not be taken.

I do not think abortion should be illegal but I do think it should be used MUCH less than it is today. Abortion has become birth control for some. I am OK with abortion when it is necessary to save the life of a woman. I can understand abortion in the case of rape. I can even "understand" (not necessarily agree with) abortion in the case of deformaties.

I am completely against aborting a baby because the sex of the baby is not what a couple wanted or because the pregnancy was unplanned.

BTW, stemcell research is legal from aborted fetuses. The government will just not fund this type of research.
GDG
Ok seriously people do you even understand what the new stem cell research is all about? That cloning stuff has nothing to do with stem cell research, in actual practice we are reusing something that would be destroyed after a while. researchers of U of T found that a great abundance of stem cells was found in the placenta:

The placenta is tha sac that transmists food to embryo and takes wastes from it into the mothers waste. So now researchers are going to be using that placenta and when ever a person would need the stem cells, say for example he/she got into a car accident and they broke tehir spinal cord. Back then it was impossible to make the cells regrow, well now all they have to do is imput some stem cells preferably if the person has his placenta still intact they will take them from there.

So I do not see what this and cloning have to do with anything at all. Yes these stem cells can be used for cloning since that is what we start out with in our mothers womb. But it would take great amounts of research and time and money to do it and also the permission of the persons placenta!!!
Lennon
The questions you raise are:

1: is the fetus/embryo considered human life, and at what point does life begin.
2: Can stem cell research provide medicinal and ethical advantages.
3: Placenta Stem Cells Vs Embryonic Stem Cells

1: I believe that a single zygote (sperm + egg = active development) is human life in its simplest form. Fetus and embryo are all more developed human life to me.
2: Abortion and Embryonic Stem Cell Research destroy the development of the human and have other benefits to mother or recipient which is not as valuable as the Stem cell's survival. The advantages are not significant enough.
3: Placenta Stem Cells are also developing, but separate at the earliest stages of development from Embryonic Stem Cells. Since the placenta is separate from the developing human, and this will be rejected at birth, there is no disadvantages in using these placenta stem cells.