FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dual Layer DVD's

yule
Did you guys hear about them... a couple companies make them now.
They give you the ability to write over 8 GB onto a DVD, which is what the big guys use for motion picture dvds. In case you don't know, the older dvd's only can hold a little more than 4 GB... that's why it called Dual Wink
demex
the "dual" in dual layered disc has nothing to do with how much information is stored on the disc, but the way it is stored. Now, I have been a little slack lately in looking up stuff like that, but dual layer DVD's are old. 8GB is old. Especially when IBM is comming out with 100GB Blue-ray Dual layer DVD's.
HunterMac
I don't know if other big corporation are going to accept that kind of drive realese soon - what about billions dollars invested in DVD movies&clips&games production? The Common Market isn't really that free. That must come with the profit - I think we will use standard DVDs for some time (for me over 8GB on one disc is enough).
Aut0mat1c
I have a dual layer burner but I have yet to buy a dual layer blank dvd-r.

They are so expensive right now I don't see any point.

I use a program called dvdshrink that will "shrink" the dvd down to fit on a regular dvd-r and you can't tell the difference in quality.
jepper
yup they cost over 4 euro here for 1 !

i have a dual layer burner, only use it for single layer
Helios
54 gigs blue ray will be used for PS3.
mohamed
Blu-ray discs. They invested quite a bunch of money for the development of that disc. It can store some 27 GB of data. That's very impressive. But I can't stop but to wonder which game developer can push the envelop of games to that much of "worK' keeping in mind now that videos are no longer a frequent media used in games. They use actual rendered scenes to replace the videos.

Putting it out of context... how much do you think these games on these blu ray discs will cost?
Helios
Nothing.
babumuchhala
mohamed wrote:

Putting it out of context... how much do you think these games on these blu ray discs will cost?

It will costas much as a new Blu-Ray disc and Rs 100 ($2) more.

Thats it and u will get a brand new game and then the whole locality will have it at the cost of a blu-ray disc Smile
geoff
These days another competition is between HD and Bluray DVDs.
Donutey
Blu Ray and HD DVD aren't going to be commercially available for 6 monthes (ish) and when they come out the drives will be $$$$... plus the two consortioms are still battling over a single standard (they don't want the beta/vhs wars)
mark
demex wrote:
the "dual" in dual layered disc has nothing to do with how much information is stored on the disc, but the way it is stored. Now, I have been a little slack lately in looking up stuff like that, but dual layer DVD's are old. 8GB is old. Especially when IBM is comming out with 100GB Blue-ray Dual layer DVD's.

Yeah, thats right. It's just amazing how quick technology can change. One day, you buy a computer and the next day, some new generation gadget pops up and computers become history!
Dustwars9
mark wrote:
Yeah, thats right. It's just amazing how quick technology can change. One day, you buy a computer and the next day, some new generation gadget pops up and computers become history!

I can't wait for the day when the storage gets so huge that you will never need to upgrade your computer ever again.
Ruba
Now it is about who is going to be the best, but in other hand, do we need all that?
I understand, that Dual layer is good for good quality videos. But those new ones with hundred GB are not going to affect video marketing because how much quality do you need? DVD wit high bitrate is giving you enough on a large screen and there is really no need to get it beter just to say we have more pixels or more colors if human eye can not recognise them anyway. I think that the most dangerous threat to the video and game disck are some kind of small microchips. They are smaller, lighter, don't have any moving or spinning components and can be really fast.

And one more thing about double layer, I prefer to get for the same money couple single layers and burn those instead of spending lots of money on double layers.
Omego2K@
dual layer dvds cost a lot of pennies though. I was thinking of buying them a couple months ago, but when I saw the prices, that's just too much. However, with dual layer dvd's you can get quite a bit of storage. Additionally, they are able to fully copy dvd movies with everything.
Omego2K@
Dustwars9 wrote:
mark wrote:

I can't wait for the day when the storage gets so huge that you will never need to upgrade your computer ever again.

Not going to happen unless it would be impossible to create and upgrade new technology.

The bigger the storage gets, the bigger files people will create. For example, videos in games are ussually downsampled to not make the size so huge, when higher storage starts being used it will be downsampled less and less.
sunjay
Hey,

I'm still with the trusty CD-RWs and they are great. I really hate it when there is so many technologies coming out at once in such quick successions - competition i suppose. I mean, wouldn't it be great if technology today can cope with technology tomorrow? People go broke trying to keep up with technology.

SunJay
charliehk
Aut0mat1c wrote:

I use a program called dvdshrink that will "shrink" the dvd down to fit on a regular dvd-r and you can't tell the difference in quality.

You said exactly what I want to say.

But recently the official dvdshrink website was gone. Sad
Omego2K@
you can definetly tell the difference in quality, especially with a big screen HDTV.
Simulator
True.... I think Lord of the Rings looks the best, to bad about the Movie tho
pacslim
charliehk wrote:
Aut0mat1c wrote:

Somebody know an other program similiar to dvd shrink then ?
Sad Rolling Eyes Confused Wink
Asylum
charliehk wrote:
Aut0mat1c wrote:

Yea, like $50.00 for a pack of 15 and the bad thing about it is that they don't have the DVD+RW DL just DVD+R DL, for me it is better to just stay with DVD+R and DVD+RW for the cost differences.

As for the harddrives, SATA2 (3.0/Gbps) with 16MB Cache and 500GB space are the drives to go with for storage.

If you want speed for your system drive, grab 4 of the 74gb raptors from WD and put them in Raid 0+1 on a nice raid card.

If you have the money you can always try out solid state flash drives for your system drive.
James007
In the local store, there was a promotion action...

A Dual Layer - DVD burner for 60.
I took it and begon searching for Dual layer DVD disks...
12 for one disk...

I put the dvd burner back. Very Happy

I already had a normal DVD-burner..

James Smile
Asylum
I got the Sony DL drive, for RW I get packs of 10 and for R I get packs of 100.

I got my drive as a gift and then I found out that there was also a $30.00 mail in rebate for it also and got the coupon off thier site to mail in the rebate :]
gonzo
demex wrote:
the "dual" in dual layered disc has nothing to do with how much information is stored on the disc,

It has everything to do with it! All of these "new" storage ideas use layering refraction: Dual layer, Double layer, BluRay, Fluorescent Multi-layer disc

BluRay is downright LAME!!!!! In comparison to Fluorescent Multi-layer disc.

Yes laaaaaaammmme

FMD was designed to overcome not only SEVERE scratches, but also media defects. I saw a demo video where a FMD disc was deliberated injected with tiny air bubbles in production and visible to the naked eye and the player both recorded to the media and played back a movie WITHOUT a hiccup!

Did I mention BluRay is lame?

Quote:
A 50 GB prototype disc was demonstrated at the COMDEX industry show in November 2000. First generation FMDs were to have roughly 100 GB per disc.

FMD tech was aquired by

http://www.ddatainc.com/

and is now marketed as Digital Multilayer Disk (DMD)