FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Executing automated tasks without using cron jobs

n0obie4life
Is that possible?

Like, I create a PHP script. Then it does stuff automatically at a certain time without having to use cron jobs.
Daniel15
Technically, you could, but you probably won't want to... Just look up the ignore_user_abort() function. The script would be running in the background on the server, with no way to stop it (which is why I don't suggest it)

EDIT: Also, it would be in a constant loop, continuously checking for the right time to do something. Way too server intensive.

In short: Just use cron jobs Very Happy
snowboardalliance
daniel15 wrote:
Technically, you could, but you probably won't want to... Just look up the ignore_user_abort() function. The script would be running in the background on the server, with no way to stop it (which is why I don't suggest it)

EDIT: Also, it would be in a constant loop, continuously checking for the right time to do something. Way too server intensive.

What if you did that but used sleep() within the loop so that it only checks every x minutes/seconds? I'm asking because I might need this too.
Daniel15
snowboardalliance wrote:
daniel15 wrote:

What if you did that but used sleep() within the loop so that it only checks every x minutes/seconds? I'm asking because I might need this too.

Still, there'd be a process running in the background on the server (I'm not sure if Bondings would like that). On the other hand, a cron job is run only when needed.
n0obie4life
On a second thought, I think I'll use Cron jobs.

-close-