FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Slow wireless connection but excellent signal

Jamatu
Wireless card - Belkin HSM Wireless G Desktop Network Card Part # F5D7001uk
Router - Belkin ADSL2+ Modem with HSM Wireless-G Router Part # F5D7633-4 (The Part # in the link is F5D7633uk4A)

I have set a wireless network up at home, but the wireless connection on my computer just isn't working properlly. I'll run you through what happens
  • I enable the Wireless Network Connection
  • It says 'Aquiring Network Address'
  • It connects but says theres 'Limited or no connectivity'
  • The 'Limited or no connectivity' warning then goes away but the connection speed drops
  • The connection speed keeps dropping until finally it drops to 1.0 mbps and stays there

The connection names are different because I renamed it whilst I was taking the print screens so take no notice of that Razz

• I can't connect to the network or internet unless I then ping the router for a few minutes
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ping 192.168.2.1 -t

Pinging 192.168.2.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=255
    Reply from 192.168.2.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=255

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
        Packets: Sent = 35, Received = 10, Lost = 25 (71% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 11ms
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

• I can then browse the internet and do things on the network etc but at a very slow 1mbps, the latency on games is an unplayable 800+ms

I've tried:
  • Disabling the wired connecton
  • Re-installing the driver
  • Re-installing the connection software
  • Updating the driver to the newest version
  • Disabling the Belkin wireless configurer and enabling the windows one
  • Moving the router next to the computer (It's usually only 3meters away anyway
  • Using the Windows repair feature
  • Using DHCP
  • Entering the I.P etc manually
  • Disabling the Firewall
  • Using Windows update
  • Changing the speed rating in the device manager to force it to 54 mbps - It couldn't find the connection at all then
  • Using a wired keyboard and removing the wireless one
  • Checking the antenea is in correctly

I should also note a few things:
  • My girlfriends wireless connection works perfect, we use the same type of wireless card
  • My wirless card used to work, then I stopped using it for about 3 months now I want to start using it again.

Hope someone can help! Shocked
RA
One possible cause is that another device is also using the same frequency range. 802.11 b & g use the same frequency that many portable phones and other wireless devices use. If there is even one other 802.11b device in range, it can often drop the speed of your g network down to b levels, which usually averages around 2-6 Mbit, so your quote of 1Mbit doesn't seem to far fetched.

Another thing to do would be try using your girlfriend's wireless card in your computer. Assuming they are the same, it should just plug in and run. If that works, then chances are that your wireless card has gone bad and you need to get a new one.
comp615
Try unpluging the internet and seeing how your network (pc to pc) transfer works...that might shed some light on things. Also, never hurts to upgrade the firmware...could be a glitch. And next time dont use Linksys...D-link forever Very Happy
savabg
If you have friends who have wireless get them to try out your network, if it works fine on their computer it might be your card ... if it isnt the card ( plug in their card in your computer) try resetting the network settings. Try that out it might be the card : ) That is my wild guess at the moment... i am almost positive it is the card
Jamatu
RA wrote:
One possible cause is that another device is also using the same frequency range. 802.11 b & g use the same frequency that many portable phones and other wireless devices use. If there is even one other 802.11b device in range, it can often drop the speed of your g network down to b levels, which usually averages around 2-6 Mbit, so your quote of 1Mbit doesn't seem to far fetched.

Another thing to do would be try using your girlfriend's wireless card in your computer. Assuming they are the same, it should just plug in and run. If that works, then chances are that your wireless card has gone bad and you need to get a new one.

Yeah i've checked just about everything when it comes to interferance and disabled them. About using her card in my computers I may give that a shot today.

comp615 wrote:
Try unpluging the internet and seeing how your network (pc to pc) transfer works...that might shed some light on things. Also, never hurts to upgrade the firmware...could be a glitch. And next time dont use Linksys...D-link forever Very Happy

When I ping the router it gives the same result if the internet is connected or disscnnected, the speed is still the same. I've updated everything to the newest versions except for the router because i'm still trying to look for the right firmware. I use Belkin what do you mean about Linksys O.o?

savabg wrote:
If you have friends who have wireless get them to try out your network, if it works fine on their computer it might be your card ... if it isnt the card ( plug in their card in your computer) try resetting the network settings. Try that out it might be the card : ) That is my wild guess at the moment... i am almost positive it is the card

I've not lived here for that long so don't no many people, those that I do know aren't too interested in computers ><
Animal
It's also possible that there's interference on your network's channel. If you open your router's configuration panel, you'll have the option to use channels 1 - 12 (I think, but this may vary by your location). If you try changing your channel (for example, if you're on channel 1, go to channel 3 etc) you may find some success. Wireless telephones, microwaves and other devices that use any wireless technology (like Bluetooth - do you have a cordless keyboard or mouse?) may be interfering.

I had a similar problem, but changing the broadcast channel fixed it completely.
Jamatu
I've tried every channel through 1-13, only 2 channels seem to work for me strangely enough 2 and 12

Wireless things that i've disabled or turned off
2 x wireless Keyboards
1 x wireless Mouse
1 x Bluetooth phone
1 x Wireless phone
1 x Microwave
Animal
Jamatu wrote:
I've tried every channel through 1-13, only 2 channels seem to work for me strangely enough 2 and 12

Wireless things that i've disabled or turned off
2 x wireless Keyboards
1 x wireless Mouse
1 x Bluetooth phone
1 x Wireless phone
1 x Microwave

After doing all this, did it work? Are you back up to full speed?
Jamatu
Nope same as usual
Animal
Hmm.... this is a strange one, and sounds like it could be a hardware issue. When you say the computer is usually about 3m away from the router, is it through a wall? If so, is there a lot of electrical wiring in the wall?

What I'd suggest is that you get on to the tech support from Belkin - I think it's free support (although the call will probably be at national rate) and they'd be best to advise you on any issues that may be causing the problem.

They've also got an online support centre at http://web.belkin.com/support/ - this may be useful to you as well.

Hope this is some help to you - good luck!
anubis26
try updating the firmware on your router, which may be the case. Also, go in your router control panel and change the channel to 1, 6, or 11. Try them and see which one works the best.
savabg
Hey Jamatu

Did you try your girlfriend's card ... if you did can you tell us what the resutls were?
grantmaster
Unfortunately, I think all of those steps you took were in vain. Nonetheless most of them were good things to do anyway, updating and the like.

It really sounds like the wireless network card in your system is on the fritz.

Wireless networks are pretty painless and since all of your parts are from the same company, it's going to be hard to mess up.

For example; right now I'm connecting via a xterrasys wireless b pcmcia card that I got for 5 bucks at a computer show. I connect to a D-Link wireless g router on the other side of my house (50 ft.) and get a 90% signal most of the time. I did nothing to set up the connection but plug in the card. It worked right away, found the wireless network, and everything is as seamless as can be.

Somehow, you need to try another card in your PC...
Jamatu
I've tried switching the car from my girlfriends computers with the card in my computer. It STILL has the same result.

I've also now tried puttng the newest firmware on the router, as before still the same result.

I've tried running windows in Safe Mode with Networking so it can't something to do with the software side. I did do some poking around on my computer and found out that the 3.3v line is only running at 2.7v. It gives me a warning in Asus Probe and also in the BIOS, maybe this could be the reason for the slow speeds? I'm not sure.
Animal
Jamatu wrote:
I did do some poking around on my computer and found out that the 3.3v line is only running at 2.7v. It gives me a warning in Asus Probe and also in the BIOS, maybe this could be the reason for the slow speeds? I'm not sure.

That is a real possibility - you could try looking into this, but I'm afraid that I couldn't help you with it since I don't have the experience.

On the plus side, since it's a desktop computer component, it's more likely that you will be able to alter the voltages, but remember that these all depend on your power supply's capability. Have you tried contacting Belkin's Technical Support? It's free and they may be able to advise you on how to do this (or even if this could be causing the problem).
Jamatu
I did but he didn't really know what he was talking about, I explained my problem and made a suggestion that I download the Firmware for the router, he said this would fix the problem and everything should work fine after that. So I downloaded and installed it and ofc it didn't work Razz

I use a 400w PSU it should be able to handle it, although I don't have a clue how to increase the voltage. Confused
wmahoi
Hey guys I have the same problem only mine goes down to 5.5Mbps. This is on a brand new rig I just built. I have tried two different brands of internal wireless adapters and currently trying an external belkin. I have tried everything suggested above with no luck at all. I have tried two different laptops in the exact same spot as the desk top with no connection problems at all same signal just the desktop connection is limited to 5.5Mbps.

Please help its driving me nuts trying to figure it out.
sonam
I have the same problem and I am solved by "Assigned as DHCP" instead of fixed IP. Some providers don't allow fixed IP. Open "Wireless Network Connection Status" and in tab "General" click on Properties. There is "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" double click and chose "Obtain an IP address automatically".

One question, did you have connection if you are use cable?

Sonam
shawnlam
Jamatu,

I noticed that you have 2 different wireless adapters active on your system, whether physical or virtual. Here are some of the ways this is possible:

1) 2 physical wireless adapters are present. One or both could be connected via USB, PC-Card (PCMCIA), Internal, etc. This could be tested by removing the known wireless adapter and then go through the network settings to see if you can still find and use a wireless adapter.

2) 1 physical wireless adapter with 2 virtual adapters configured. Some software packages allow virtual adapters to be configured, which are not real adapters, but where they allow you to set up multiple configurations for the same adapter. If this is the case, disable all but one virtual adapters and test.

3) Like #2 above, with with a slight difference. It is not likely, but still possible that your wireless adapter's software and the built in Windows wireless (called Zero Config, or something) software are both enabled. If that is the case, disable one of them.

Sometimes, the best way to solve the problem is to start with nothing. Like mentioned in #1, remove the known wireless adapter and then start from there. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the software for the wireless adapter. Lots of people prefer to install an adapter and use only the drivers to run wireless through the Windows interface. That means not installing the adapter's software.

If that doesn't help out, let me know and I'll try to get more specific. I didn't in this case, because I'm booted into Linux and couldn't easily reference the Windows settings.
shawnlam
Since I was a little vague about how I determined that 2 different adapters were present, notice that screenshots that you posted vary slightly. Two of them have a number 2, while two don't. Windows will generally display the first wireless adapter without a number, while additional adapters will show incrementing numbers (Connection 2, Connection 3, etc).

Wireless Network Connection 2 (morgan) at 125 Mbps
Wireless Network Connection (morgan) at 54 Mbps
Wireless Network Connection (morgan) at 54 Mbps
Wireless Network Connection 2 (morgan) at 1 Mbps
EmreKozan
You chance wifi signal channel.Sorry my english bad Smile
malaz
change your operating system