FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What media player do you like?

What media player do you like?
PlayMeNow
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Winamp
19%
 19%  [ 21 ]
Windows Media Player
26%
 26%  [ 29 ]
Other media player
53%
 53%  [ 58 ]
Total Votes : 109

jerski
Take a look here: http://www.playmenow.tk
I'm waiting for admins to approw my hosting request. As, I see that FriHost is a very good hosting site.
Vote in the pool! My answer: I use PlayMeNow, not because I created it, but it is 2x louder than Winamp.
=======EDIT=======
Hmmmm....how to add a pool? Admin, please ad it:

Question: What media player do you like?
Answer1: PlayMeNow
Answer2: Winamp
Answer3: Windows Media Player
Answer4: Other media player
Cridiron
iTunes is by far the best media player ever created. Props to Apple.
Talk2Tom11
JetAudio is an amazing media player. Small, yet has everything you would need. Even includes music and movie converters. I strongly advise people to give it a chance.
KHO
iTunes Neutral for , Quicktime, and no, l am not on an apple Neutral
Ranfaroth
On win32, the best media player is VLC.
On GNU/Linux, you have much more choice Wink
xorcist
I like Winamp and Windows Media Player. They both have some good things like Winamp I like because I can host shoutcast on it, and everything like that. But I like Windows Media Player because I use that for everything and I am so used to Windows Media Player.
PuNGS
Since I use Linux, I don't use any of those players. I prefer amaroK, but now I'm using Rythmbox.

I think the Linux players are more polished, have more features and they are open source. Twisted Evil Way better than Widows' players...
Rocky3478
iTunes, VLC, and Quicktime w/ Flip4Mac...... Cool

Why aren't iTunes and Quicktime on there? Surprised
Animal
iTunes is probably the best media-library based player whether you use Mac or Windows.

However, I think that the best music player available is Winamp Lite. It is (as the title suggests) a very light-weight, non-resource burning program, and although it doesn't come with many plugins or a huge array of format support, it's very easy to find and download free plugins. For instance, you can get plugins that support aac+, ogg audio (not many mainstream players support this), wma, and even plugins that allow you to play protected iTunes files (ie. songs you've bought from iTunes, you can play through Winamp)

If you don't really need the music library feature, I highly recommend this.
MasaSuman
Windows Media Player Is good comapared with Winamp
ehunter
I vote for the open-sourced VLC: a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.

What I like is its excellent features and its portability .

What I'm still looking for is the ability to play .rm file (real media video).
Philip
i like more on K-Lite Codec Pack
since it's more codec on this player for support more media files.
Pikokola
Philip wrote:
i like more on K-Lite Codec Pack
since it's more codec on this player for support more media files.

agree... I prefer Media Player Classic which come with the K-Lite Codec Pack, It's fast, stable, and moreover, support many ekstension Smile
prongs_386
windows media player, never really liked the library of winamp, although i havnt tried the newest versions.
i really don't like itunes, and ipods in general
zuk4u
winamp with classic skin, foobar when i'm playing some online shooter and want to listen some mp3's
Gavilan
I use Divx, plays all formats !
rayx
I'm using WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYERS for windows and AMAROK for Linux.
Mwilliams
iTunes is the best for me. You can play radio stations and Podcast.
bigdan
I use WinAmp for MP3 files, but for everything else, I use Media Player Classic. Wink It's bloody good. Very Happy So flexible and vertsitile.
Georgeboy
mplayer is my favorite !! It has a lot of functionalities that other players doesn't have. It just takes a little bit longer to learn to work with it, but when you take some time, you will never want another program...

Greetz
d4rch
I use Winamp for my MP3 and Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic for the videos. In fact, Media Player Classic is a very good player, small and easy to use, but it doesn't accept lists. Also I have to use WMP...

However for the MP3, the best player for the quality is Foobar2000. But it's reserved for the people who like good sound because of its many options Wink
ddukki
I just use WMP10. I used to love Winamp, but it's not very reliable, especially since I listen to some foreign music. Sure, it's pretty, but Windows Media Player is really a whole lot better. Now, all I use Winamp for is ripping VBR MP3 files from CD's. I've never really used iTunes, but it looks okay.
Nisk
Have to say i hated windows media player. but it got better. Now with version 11. i find it satisfactory. Unlike the windows itself. Windows XP<-
-Translation-
->
Winblows Xtreme Problems.
myspace
I just got WMP11 (beta) and its working good, looking great. Very Happy
Hammy
I siwtched to iTunes for about 8 months.. because someone at my school wanted all my music on their ipod, and me being the kind person i am.. switch to itunes, just for her lol.

Then recently i switched back to winder media player, the lastest Beta version..and i couldnt help but notice how alike it was to itunes. Microsoft need to get their own ideas. It's same with IE7 and firefox. Pfft.

Thats why i voted itunes. Smile

Hammy.
lookahead
I like vlc media player.
JayBee
I like VLC, amaroK, mplayer
These are the best for me and they can play everything I want. (MP3, OGG, WMA, WMV, RA, RM, MOV, M4A, all MPEG 4 video, ...)

Sometimes when I must use windows I use the same players, but there is no amaroK so I must use winamp insted. It's not so bad.
And MPC (Media Player Classic) it is also wery good player without unusable skins (which are in players like windows media player)
Zpanzer
personally i use Winamp for listening to music and online radio shows, nothing fancy, nothing too complicated, all it need is a play and a stop button to satisfy me Smile
Dragate
I chose WMA becuase of the toolbar option. I personally like Real player and Winamp the best becuase they have less errors and are less laggy for less-advanced computers.

But then again, I do love the little toolbar that can change your songs and everything without opening the actualy window.

VERY INGENIOUS

I Also like how you can change it's skins. Same with win amp.
redice
Mplayer, the best media player both in linux or windows platform. It support almost all media formats (with plugins), stable, fast...
surdy
I use Mplayer on my LINUX machine [:d]
crasso
I'm happy with Quintessential Media Player
http://www.quinnware.com/

I have used QCD (and QMP last year) for a few years and I didn't switch to any other soft since then. It's free, bug free and nice looking piece of software. Smile
ramesh_nim
For audio - winamp is Best
For video - VLC player is best
pokethamage
BSPlayer...for practically everything. 2nd is MP11 i guess

note: that ISNT BULLSHYT PLAYER...site:http://www.bsplayer.com/
falconfx
I recently abandoned Windows Media Player and switched to VLC.

It's much faster than WMP and simple to use, now I can play many file formats (even some almost unknown formats such as MKV).

I really suggest you to download and use it: you won't be disappointed!
Ratman2050
Why do you not have Real Media or QuickTime?

Thos are some main ones. Never heard of PlayMeNow.

But most online streams use Windows Media but I suggest Real Media.
Forvit
Winamp for music and Media Player Classic or ZoomPlayer for Video.
But ZoomPlayer I using more offten
quartz
Winamp for audio is the best, but for video playback ....
For video i use VLC, BSPLAYER, Windows mediaplayer clasic.
cavey
Switching between VLC, Media Player Classic and ... (ehm... afraid to admit it) Windows media player
halflife28
I like Winamp for Windows.

And I like xmms for Linux.

2 of the best, small and compact players!
CrimsonStrange
I'm a die-hard Winamp Classic fan, and have been using Quintessential Player for a few years, but I've also recently discovered a very cool & unique MP3 player called ALSong

It does stuff that I haven't seen in a freeware program, up until now.

One of it's major features is the ability to synchronize lyrics with the song you're listening to. (sort of like that little bouncing ball that keeps time as it bounces over the words to the song, like we've seen on TV).
It's also got a batch tag-editing feature, a language learning ability, play .zip & .rar files full of songs without unpacking them first, normalization and lots of other neat stuff.

Idea I highly recommend checking all of the ALTools products out!
kiranaghor
I think VLC (videolan.org) has been a serious player so far. It plays everything, its open source, powerful and of course cross platform. It is now in my dock.
travnik7
For music files I use Winamp 2.95. For watching videos, my primary player is BSplayer pro 2.0 but for download previews or SVCDs I use the VLC player.
The VLC player is very good, because you don't have to install any codecs and it is free. The only downside for me is that sometimes I can't figure out how to display subtitles.
Arnie
VLC is very good (but not because it's open source. no.) The latest WMP's are just too heavy - I have something against huge media players. On my Windows 98 machine I prefer WMP64. Good thing they kept it in XP too.
ashen
I like to use WinAmp for Audio and DivX for video.
allanxiao
I like iTunes.
novisdesign
Im surprised you didn't include Apple's iTunes in your poll. iTunes is great for movies and music and it works seamlessly with the iPod. Maybe I just like Apple.
psquared
I can't believe you didn't include VLC in your poll. It's one of the best cross-platform video players out there.
ncwdavid
iTunes is definately the best media player.
Dev-il
I use both winamp for music. And Windows Media player because my mp3 player will only work on wmp.
coolclay
I think winamp is the best all around, they have tons of free internet radio stations, thousands of add-ons, tons of skins, and they play just about everytype of format. I haven't found anything wrong the winamp yet.
ganesh
As is the opinion of some previous posters, the best media player is indeed mplayer (with the MPUI GUI on Windows). It is the most lightweight of all players that I have ever used and it is not bloatware like Winamp or iTunes or the worst of them all, Windows Media Player.

I also like VLC, but it is filled with so many features like streaming server enables and so on, which I rarely, if ever, use! However, I must admit that it is quite lightweight for the number of features it has.

As you might have already guessed, I am a big fan of software under the GPL aka open source software Smile
Chrisjs
Just like a few other members, I mainly use Winamp, as I dislike Microsoft and Apple, as Apple made the iPod (which I have a dislike of), and Microsoft steals ideas from Apple and Linux. I haven't been following the updates on Vista much, but I heard it will be using Unix-like permissions =/.

Enough of my ranting, and back on to Media Players. On Linux, I use XMMS for music, and for videos, I use Media Player Classic. For whatever reason, Media Player Classic was the only program that would actually play DVD's. I haven't tried mplayer or VLC though, so that'll give me something to do for tomorrow.
Aimewitue
so i use jetaudio for any media playin'
don't know if this is the best but i'm happy with it!
sush
Windows Media Player.

Reason. I'm short on disk space. Can't remove WMP, and won't install another. Works fine enough for me. Embarassed
orcaz
IMO, iTunes is my best music player, bcoz it organises the music well and simple. The interface is oso simple and sleek.
Xavier
I think Windows media player rocks!
Its low on resources, the interface is brilliant, all add ins available and what not!
My vote goes to Microsoft here!
JamesBond
i like windows media player 11. its too good as its interface is not cluttered and it looks gr8 with its black vista like theme and buttons.

though i like VLC media player also due to its compatibality with almost all formats. till now, i have been able to play any type of media file with it (xcept images lol)
ProtoMan
I would half to say Window Media Player 11 is the best out of them all. It can play all of my media files with ease and never been crashed. So I voted for Window Media Player from the most trusted company Microsoft Very Happy
ammonkc
iTunes manages music libraries much better than any other media player that I've tried. the search feature is soooooooooo fast! and it is super easy to manage and organize music libraries even when they get very large. even with the UI bugs that came with iTunes 7, its still way better than WMP.
for video codec support, VLC is the best I've used. its hard to find a codec that VLC doesn't support out of the box.
ba11inncali
Check out VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/. It's great for watching a variation of media types without having to worry about downloading codecs.
einstein
i like windows media player 11. its too good as its interface is not cluttered and it looks great with its black vista like theme and buttons.

though i like VLC media player also due to its compatibality with almost all formats. till now, i have been able to play all types of media files with it!!! Very Happy

You may also want to try out Quick time Player by Apple and maybe Real Player.

But i think that Windows Media Player is the BEST!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
corey
Georgeboy wrote:
mplayer is my favorite !! It has a lot of functionalities that other players doesn't have. It just takes a little bit longer to learn to work with it, but when you take some time, you will never want another program...

Greetz
On Linus, agreed. On Windows, its good, but VLC is a tad more useful. Although, Mplayer will sometimes play more smoothly.
Kd527
I generally use iTunes. It's so elegant and easy to use, in a word, Apple. Smile
{name here}
Audacity, although it is technically not a media player but an editor.
chrish
I don't watch a lot of movies, and I listen to music far more, and my personal choice has to be foobar2000. When I first tried it I thought it was junk because of a Windows 3.1-esque interface, and minimal features. What I have found now, is the amount of really cool extensions and features, which make it so much easier to use.

Foobar with Columns UI makes for an excellent music player with numerous excellent features (despite what is a very complicated user preference screen), and native OGG support which a lot of media players don't pay a lot of attention to.
deejaystorage
VLC is a best way to streaming video on LAN. it's impress to me
deejaystorage
other use winamp if your PC is older than U ^^
SurBiff
I use Beep Media Player, xmms or Rythmbox,
With both xmms and BMP you can use skins from winamp if you like.
The-Master
Creative media player.This is a major subliminal message. Please email me if you find it as I think it is really cool. My email address is the-master@supanet.com Anyway Congratulations if you found this as I really did think that no one would ever find it and it would be one of those things on the Internet that no one will ever find like one of those free sites that no one ever visits. Not like ones made on this site they are cool!!! I love this site and thanks for it.
yaashop
I like some of those but right now i'm using

1.power DVD
2.Real player
3. Nero Player
4. Divx player
5. TT player (similar to winamp but in chinese and can show the lyric)

depend on what kind of media i want to watch & listen
JamesBond
VLC Media Player is the best. even Xine for linux is very good, along with Amarok
hilopita
i use bsplayer for divx for it's simplicity and winamp for mp3'ss!
Studio Madcrow
VLC for the win. (http://www.videolan.org) Not only does it play just about any file format around out-of-the-box, with no plugins and allow for any-region DVD playback, even if you have a "locked" DVD drive, it also allows you to stream media over the 'Net and run your own Internet TV or Radio station.
left
i use Windows Media Player 11. It looks beautiful but it can not support .rm etc format. So, I need to use RealPlayer for playing.
vixenk
Amarok for music (which is perhaps the most amazing music player app I've seen yet), and Mplayer for everything else. Smile
mystzero
I really like foobar2000 and in fact, i am using it. Well, its default interface isn't very good looking. But, the plus thing is that you can customise it with Columns_UI. Of course, you have to learn the foobar formatting syntax to get the job done. Besides, foobar2000 support a wide range of audio files(.mp3,.wma,.ogg,.ape and more).
carlospro7
I use foobar now. I dont use windows media nor winamp, though for a while I did use them. Foobar is much smaller program and takes less memory, thats the main reason I like it, but I don't have problems with the other two players. I just dont use them anymore
jay84h
Winamp has been the one I always use and will continue to use it because it's my fav.
darkleft
I like to choose Windows Media Player. The reason is the skin is beautiful, and the important reason is my Windows is Windows XP Media Center Editon. So, I choose Windows Media Player for my favourite music and movie playing software.
silentdae
Yea, VLC is probably the best (IMO). Also Media Player Classic. MPC is usually more stable than VLC. VLC doesn't like incomplete/corrupt videos much and tends to lock-up. MPC is more forgiving but will only show the first continuous bits of incomplete videos. Like if you have this video:
+----+++++
Where + is a completed part of a video and - is an incomplete part, MPC will only show the first + part of it (10%). Whilst VLC will show more if you seek but may freeze up. It's all kinda quirky. Having said that, i've crashed both a couple times.

BUT, i use Winamp for audio. I like the skin and features. For videos, VLC and MPC though. I also like Beep Media Player for audio on linux (winamp like). And recently my media player has been "Windows Media Center" when i stream videos to my Xbox 360! Ahhh, technology, i love it. Smile
zplitstonez
hello everyone,
good day...

the media player that i want is,
first, windows media player...
second, real player...
and third is iTunes...

I like media player 11,
because of it's very nice user interface,
and the it's very easy to use and navigate....

I like real player because it's easy to rip music,
with different format, like aac, ogg, mp3, wma, etc. etc.

I like iTunes because of it's simplicity in terms of user interface,
but it eats a lot of resources...
It leaves me no choice, I have to use iTunes for my iPod.
nobita123
iTunes
rubbish
I like Windows Media Player 11 for playing the audio files, like mp3. It is because the skin is very beautiful, and easily to use than other player like Real Player etc. Also, it is free for anyone and my notebook computer is Windows XP Media Center Edition include Media Center. So, it is a very wonderful software.
bulek
I prefer Winamp since version 2. It simple, stable, takes low resources and what is most important, it support many plugins and skins. I simply can't find better and more simple program.
Shin
I use Windows Media Player, It's alright but I think there are better software out there. I just can't be bother to try others.
rekluzz
The K-Lite Codec Pack has the Media Player Classic, which plays almost anything.
I also like and use VLC.
Commando_Sondre
I use MediaMonkey, dunno why, but I just feel that it is the best mediaplayer that a person can use. At least for me.
tomahawk19
I've been pretty happy with Zune player as it's based off of WMP 11. It's nice cus I can create and listen to playlists that I put on my Microsoft Zune, which by the way is amazing. I like it a lot better than iPods. I had a video, and a nano, and this is by far the best mp3 player that I've had. Other than Zune, I use Anarok.
tony
i use foobar. anyone else?
golles
I think winamp is the best,
it can run in the system tray
easily get the song you want (when shortcuts are enabled) just press "alt + j" and the jump to file screen comes
the media library is so easy to use, much and much beter then WMP.

but offcourse everyone has its own opinion!

//golles
niho_gs
for music winamp is useful and for video bsplayer is gr8 it is my favorite.
kevbailey
I generally don't like many things that are made by apple, but their iTunes is the best media player (as far as design). I don't know about the sound quality though... I think that Windows may have better sound quality. I think that Media Player may beat iTunes as far as sound quality, but the layout sucks.
loosu
Yes , Mplayer from http://www.mplayerhq.hu and VLC are the best of the choices .

There is not a format , that Mplayer doesnt support , and it is the only player that supports Matroska , like heaven .

Just try mplayer with some front end , and you wont leave anywhere else .
Peterssidan
Winamp for musik and Windows media player for sounds and movies.
slchap5
i use window media player its already on my computer and it plays most files that i ever have. The files i can't play are usually itunes and i also have itunes but it runs slower in windows and i don't like for it to load
exarkun
VLC player is the one for me. It can play alot of video codec, saving me the trouble of searching for some rare codec individually.
BlazeDragon132
Personally, I like Winamp due to the fact that it allows you to play AVIs and lots of other stuff like Shoutcast Radio and TV.
NEurodrOne
Be it skins, Plug-ins or heart-throbbing output, its Foobar all the way for me! Very Happy[/url]
VidE
VLC played the HDV .m2t files from Japan when they first came out, before the 1st HDV cameras - (Sony FX-1 and Z1) were marketed over here. We were all desperate to see how well these cameras did and VLC did the best job of playing them, bar none. VLC gets a big vote for me.
futurcat
VidE wrote:
VLC played the HDV .m2t files from Japan when they first came out, before the 1st HDV cameras - (Sony FX-1 and Z1) were marketed over here. We were all desperate to see how well these cameras did and VLC did the best job of playing them, bar none. VLC gets a big vote for me.

VLC is the absolute winner. At least on a Windows paltform.

Forget about codecs and so.

The problem is on mobile platforms, VLC has another purpose I believe.

But I guess this survey was for WIndows platform, so my vote is VLC.
darthrevan
I use VLC media player, it suits me as well. In the past, I used Winamp, but that was when I used Windows. I am not sure what I used after, but now I have VLC installed for Linux Smile
futurcat
darthrevan wrote:
I use VLC media player, it suits me as well. In the past, I used Winamp, but that was when I used Windows. I am not sure what I used after, but now I have VLC installed for Linux Smile

Anyone tried VLC on Android and can comment about that?

Thanks in advance!
darthrevan
futurcat wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I haven't, nor did I know there was a vlc for Android, though I don't really do videos on my phone except a few through the YouTube Android application.
futurcat
[q"darthrevan"]
futurcat wrote:
darthrevan wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I haven't, nor did I know there was a vlc for Android, though I don't really do videos on my phone except a few through the YouTube Android application.[/quote]

I thought I would use it to watch movies. You are right that YouTube is already enough for most of the smartphone video usage.
iliyasshaikh
window media player

its onlye and best player simple the best
Gregoric
I had been using aTunes some time ago on my desktop PC as it supported Last.fm and custom keyboard shortcut (while Windows Media Player didn't work with last.fm scrobbler well and supported only default shorcuts).

Now on laptop I don't need Last.fm anymore (as I don't use it) and machine has very convenient shortcuts for rewinding and choosing tunes so now Windows Media Player 12 is pretty enough. Maybe I will try to find something new soon but for the time being WMP is enough. Only thing I really lack in it is minimalizing to tray with the 'X' button which by default closes the application.
william
I use Cowon JetAudio. The sound quality is far superior to Winamp, VLC, Windows Media Player, and iTunes (and the latter two are rubbish to use for various reasons I won't go into). The only problem I have with it is that the free version has advertisements. I want to try out some other alternatives before spending money on the upgraded versions.

Oh and for what it's worth, I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema with madVR for my videos. It plays as many files as VLC with far superior accuracy and video quality. I mean, the difference between JetAudio and Winamp isn't overly significant, but MPC is so vastly superior to VLC, you can tell the difference if you have the vision of a bat.
Sabbadon
I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema with K-lite codec pack.
tictock
Sabbadon wrote:
I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema with K-lite codec pack.

I use the same for watching videos.
For music foobar 2000 with some tweks rocks.
reg2009
there is many beatiful progs
butt
reg2009
qq and media player classic the bestest
Pande
No iTunes in the poll? It really is the easiest to use.

On my phone, I use ttPod, a foreign app but extremely good.
likeabreeze
VLC media player is always my first choice.
biolu
For videos, I use VLC.
For music, I used iTunes as I had an iPod, but since I got rid of it, I went back to Winamp.
Arrogant
VLC and iTunes
Windows Media Player - 0/5
Peterssidan
Peterssidan in 2007 wrote:
Winamp for musik and Windows media player for sounds and movies.

Nowadays I use Audacious for music and VLC for videos.
TheGremlyn
I'm using iTunes and that's partially because I worked at an Apple call center and I figured I should familiarize myself with the software if I'm going to be helping other people. That was a few years ago and I haven't changed yet. I'm not inclined to put that much effort into switching to another player because I have my music library the way I want it and it's easier enough to download iTunes on another computer and move my music over and open the library file.
sarcasmrules
I usually use WinAmp or WMP, even though WMP's generally hated Razz
miteY
I use Daum PotPlayer for videos and VLC for music.
alvarorojas4
Musicbee is an amazing player, I LOVE IT. I also use iTunes for sync my iPod touch, it's nice but it consumes a lot of RAM and is slow...
dude_xyx
I use VLC player. The Poll doesn't have it. I wonder if VLC player was not there in 2006. Those days I was using something else. I think it was Power DVD Player. Now I use only VLC player.
Nyasro
Windows media player