FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How did you learn Photoshop ?

How did you learn Photoshop ?
Just by messing around
74%
 74%  [ 47 ]
bought a book
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
college class
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Other
19%
 19%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 63

jerski
learn photoshop? Im sure all of you in this forum used photoshop at some point, im just wondering how everyone learned it. I personally just learned it by messing around with it
Trynityque
i suppose im just posting because i need 5 posts =] but doesnt everyone mostly learn it by messing around, making bad stuff till theyre good at it? i did, i still suck..but i just started this web thing anyway.
GB
Learning by doing is one of the best way in my opinion. When I came to college, we had 1 copy of Photoshop Buisness edition 1.1 and 1 copy of Photoshop 4. Yikes! (small college in northwest Iowa, by the way). We finally got Photoshop 7 along with the other Adobe programs and I put hours into learning how to use them. I needed to for classes and activities I was in, but I learned by doing and now am fairly proficient. However, I'd love to take a class sometime to really learn Photoshop.
polarBear
I learned one #-omistake at a time began coloring my artwork:-s , followed making 3ds textures, next to that made some web graphics, and here I am Very Happy

College is also a good option, if well taught. If they make you read a book and do nothing during the class, then don't even bother.
silentpark
hmm messing arround.. doing art work for nothing/fun or what do you mean?

well i think tutorials are ok to start photoshop... see whats possible what does a special filter ect.. some basics.. maybe try to imitate logos or layouts that's good for skill...

using books well they are doing the same as tutorials of course... but well you paid for them so there is a bigger chance that you do what they are describing.. Smile
fiveboltbox
just by messing around with it.. i ocassionally need to read some help on how to do this or that but mostly its just plain trial and error
troyinator
Just tinkering. It's the only true way to learn anything, quite frankly.
llsanderll
Just practise a lot and after 1-2 years you're writing your own tutorials.
If you hazve potential that is.
I've seen 100s of people that use Photoshop for over 3 years and still stink at it and aren't able to design the easiest thing.
jerski
earlier i just messing around using photohshop ! Laughing

but these days..

i learned more now using different tutorials and books...
AzTeK
I learned photoshop by tutorials, after trying to figure it out on my own and failing miseralby... I just searched the web and began reading tutorials and basicly after a month I came to love photoshop. I used to hate it, made my web pictures with fireworks Embarassed .
birell
I started with playing around in Paint Shop Pro. then i hade some lessons in paint shop pro at school (8th or 9th grade), where we just followed a tutorial, and that didnt give me anything. Then when i started at a "Gymnasium" i got an iBook, with some adobe programs (Photoshop, Illustrator,Indesign, Golive) And i must say that i still prefer Paint Shop Pro since im more used to it. Yesterday i spent 5 minutes trying to figure out how to mirror a thing. Eventually i solved it, but it took a lot of work.
mialynavahy
just by messing around...
when i was 10, i started with paint and after that with paint shop pro.
i followed tutorials (photoshop) and now i m a designer in photoshop, maybe the first thing you can do in photoshop is to try to imitate layouts, yes, that's good for skill, photoshop is not very hard, if you have time and some skill you can do it
PuNGS
I learnt by just messing around. By the way, everything I learnt in the computer's world was by messing around. I think it's the best way to you familiarize with the new environment that you have contact.
Konfunderad
I learned the gimp before I tried photoshop. Then I just messed around.
Arcath
i learn using tutorials
Dark_Jedi06
Well when I *got* Photoshop, I had used various PSP programs in the past and had a very good understanding about how many of the tools worked, considering they're similar in many ways. Razz

After messing around with Photoshop for about a week it was pretty easy to use and I knew what I was doing...my current signature was made in Photoshop CS 2. Surprised
codyb245
i went through tons and tons and tons of tutorials found on the web till i got great but i would practice doing different stuff everyday
freedomandjustjuice
I only stared to really learn photoshop on friday and already i'm starting to get a hang of things just by messing about.

Made a nice logo for my website yesterday, its up at therewearethen.co.uk, thats about all i've got on there at the moment though!! i'm waiting to get a decent host with FTP because it's a nightmare messing about with web ftp where you have to choose each individual image, i've got loads on that site already!!

SEB
madsencarl
Wheres the "I didn't learn it" option? If I want a graphic done I'll just ask a couple of my friends.
Rocky3478
I messed around with it, and took a photo class in college that had some PS in it.... Cool
lucifertje
I started doing photoshop when i was about 16.
the I went to design academy so I learnt it there and now i do some lectures and adobe events here and there.
these last ones are very handy.

But mostly it's just gettinga feel for the program.
enjaye
same here i learned it by messing around... Laughing
also, i'm fond of asking questions from a friend who's expert in Photoshop and most of all Mr. Google for tips and tutorials Laughing
panazen
i just started messing around, looked at one or two articles on the internet. If i was really stumped, i'd ask a friend.
yokonative
why isisnt there a book on mesing around? would that not be awsome. i think that would make someone millions..i mean..no..that id a BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea..................................*snicker*
Vrythramax
I learned by trial and error and also bought a book, but I have since found other (cheaper and easier) programs that work just as well.
bilham
im not the best at photoshop not evn close, but i learn by messing about with it and reading tutorials on it they help alot. But hey the only way to get better is to keep practising and tryin new things
mathiasnh
Take a look at this page http://www.photoshopkillertips.com/.

They send out podcast videoes with photoshop lessons- great service.

Mathias
prillan
Well, i read some tutorials for an beginning. Got very much help from some friends of mine.
And just playing around, try new filters and that stuff etc.
I simple think you should read tutorials and help before you start using photoshop. I think it's anoying, becaus i got like 9999 persons who ask me if i can learn em.. lol Laughing
ChunkyBustout
I can't that I'm good at it by any means but I can do what I need to. I first started with photoshop tutorials and tried diiferent things based on those tutorials. Then I bought a couple of photoshop books once I knew where everything was and never looked back. I thoink it's an amazing program and I can only hope to master it one day.
Dominator101
the best way to learn ANY program is to: read tuts and press all the buttons :p
artificialsweetener
I just played around with it a bunch until I could make something worth looking at, which Im not really there yet, and I sometimes read tutorials on the internet of how to make random things.
torboxz
prillan wrote:
Well, i read some tutorials for an beginning. Got very much help from some friends of mine.

Yeah, me to! Some of the tutorials really helps. but i cant hardly understand a few of them. Up until now, i still not proficient enuf, it's been two years, but hey, nobody can run when they were born. Razz nobody here (in my place) really into photoshop. i'll just keep on messing around
7gts-scout
Please visit http://www.photoshop-indepth.com . It contains lots of useful tut!
The website hosted by my friend, Siah(17 years old boy from Sabah, Malaysia). He is very skilled making websites and graphics on photoshop. I also call him as my "Sifu" (teacher) Wink Laughing
llsanderll
7gts-scout wrote:
The website hosted by my friend, Siah(17 years old boy from Sabah, Malaysia). He is very skilled making websites and graphics on photoshop. I also call him as my "Sifu" (teacher) Wink Laughing

Some of those tutorials are copied from other websites... my forum has way more tuts and all made by ourselves Wink
Odbe
I really want to read a tutorial - but I still haven't gotten round to it! What I know I learned from messing around and asking my brother or friends. I'm sure there's heaps more to learn... but it can wait.
*scribbles on to-do list*
sketteksalfa
i read tutorials a little.. i just consult with it before i got crazy. i just play every tabs and buttons and tools.. and play on it all the time.
leorimolo
Dominator101 wrote:

I think im a lost bvrother of yours, It is the best way to learn trial and error you mess with brushes and layers do a couple of simple tuts and your off.

Also go here www.good-tutorials-com It has the most amount of tutorials for fotoshop Very Happy

LEo
munkey_boy
Lol i am still a beginner i can do the "basics" like cutting things out with lasoo and adding them into other photos, web banner designing just the basic stuff but the banners are simple, really simple
Enderwiggin
I learned it by messing around, then they tought it to me in high school, You dont need to go to collage to learn how Razz
meet in rio
Yeah... just messed around.

I still don't know what half of it does after nearly two years. Embarassed
ck88
Books, book and more books. The Photshop User Magazin and the tutorials on the NAPP website. Also Photographie magazines usually have some PS tutorials.
mckenneth
i learned it from both tweekin around and reading some cool tutorialsss... Goodtutorials.com
phinguyen
i got an illegal copy of photoshop when i was at a mere age of 14 from a friend that took me under his wing to into becoming a cyber pirate lolz =P but since i was always into design and drawing i was always leaning towards the photoshop than the "hacking" although i found myself pretty damn deep in the rabbit hole (always digging for information) i also ended up becoming a freakin photoshop master and becoming hella savvy with adobe programs so i decided to make a career out of it and now i'm about to graduate with a bachelor's degree in graphic design. so basically i was self taught and then picked up industry standards when i went to school for it.
landxxx
Dominator101 wrote:

You have on computer or internet this tutorial ???

I have only on any favourite web site
engeland
7gts-scout wrote:

ey sama geng la wei. im from sabah too, and i never thought i would find people with the same interest as i have in malaysia! still around the same age and in the same home town. I like your website, could we exchange links? Wink

BTW, i learned photoshop by messing around at first...mostly doing crappy filters on pictures, then when i got bored, thinking that my graphics aren't up to par, i visited numerous tuts all over the internet and from then i became a lil better than last time. Smile
Reign
I learned it in college(5years) and offcourse enhanced my skills by messing around
Bengt
in one word: practise !
you need practise and just being able to think about things Very Happy
ato784
fiveboltbox wrote:
just by messing around with it.. i ocassionally need to read some help on how to do this or that but mostly its just plain trial and error

same here
Zenk
1. Read tutorials and exactly what it says.
2. Just mess around and try to create something by myself.
3. Read tutorials, and change some stuff so it's not the same as on tutorials.
4. Post your work on forums and request feedback.
tamilparks
i studied photoshop through webpage photoshop tutorials only
deanhills
I usually just learn by doing, and if I find a challenge, usually "Google" the solution. There is plenty of references on the Internet.

Same with Websites. Always better to start one, and then to learn as one goes. Learning usually comes with working through the challenges.
connor
My school now offers multiple classes in photoshop. so i've learned there, and just playing around in it for hours.There are a lot of good books on it You should check out Richard Harrington's book is really very nice book.
morean51
i have done lot experiments on it i have failed at starting but now im using photoshop so easy
first experiment is on my self image