FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Your favorite windows program

jerski
Hello all,

What is your favorite windows program? This excludes games - just a general program. Mine is Microsoft notepad - free, simple, and small.

What is your least favorite windows program? This excludes games - just a general program. Mine is Microsoft frontpage - expencive, big, and makes HTML users lazy, I've never seen a very good website using it.
falconfx
I think that the programs Windows ships with are a bit ridiculous. The program I most prefer is Notepad: very small, fast and useful. On the other hand, the programs I hate are Paint (just terrible, awful and useless) and Wordpad (a Word unsuccessful copy).

In my opinion, Linux ships with much more powerful and well programmed programs; and for free. If you want to do "real" office, you need to buy the very expensive Office suite.
silentpark
hmm frontpage is not an windows programm (well its running on windows.. but its part of microsoft office and not part of windows..)

so well notepad is very handy so its one of the tops but i would say the best windows programm is still the explorer.. ((yes you say its standard) but the explorer is your environment you are working with (i am sorry your extrem extended file manager..^^) it has it pros and cons but its also a bit heart of windows.. Smile

(damn that must sounds so ridiculous *hehe)

Edit: ok its not my favorite... Razz
Sanctity
I would have to agree that the best Windows program is notepad. I find Windows quite a bore, though, so I normally use my new iMac for everything, from surfing the net to web design, to graphic designing.... Mac's come with the iLife suite built in which include iMove, iDVD, iPhoto, iTunes and GarageBand to name a few. Mac's are superior, and with the new Intel based iMacs just come out, I think they're giving Microsoft a run for their money.
jgangl
My favorite windows program is Guitar Pro. I don't know what my least favorite is. Pretty much everything made by microsoft.
Maxrpg
Notepad, by and far, is the most useful program on Windows, it can be used for just about anything - and it is. More importantly, there is an entire society of users who will use Notepad only for webpage making.

I've used it before for such a purpose, and you have to use it like WYSIWYG, so you have to know the code before making the page.
lockwolf
Command Prompt and Notepad. Using the 2, my fellow peers in school created a batch file that deleted all files with a *.* in its name. Now, everytime we boot the system we ran it on, we get a screen simular to the one below:

Isnt that some powerful stuff?
PuNGS
I don't like any program that ships with Windows... The one I really like is Guitar Pro, really useful.

The one that I hate is Windows Messenger. Why make it since Microsoft already made MSN Messenger? I just don't get the point...
mike4652
MS EXCELL is a real nice and very powerful program
deeblue
hmm the games of windows are nice , also notepad is good when you have to note down something fastly .

generally Windows itself is a nice "programme". Imagine a world without it !! Shocked ... everyone must use linux or something else !!
gertjang
Mmm I don't think the standard Windows programs are very useful. Maybey Notepad, which is a simple and good program, but since I always use Microsoft Word, the program I use the most, I don't need it.
thiamshui
maybe Visual Studio 6.0.. esp Visual Basic.. realli simple to create windows-based programs..
izimngcubes15
My favorite? Hmm...well it's hard to think about it, I use a lot of programs. But NotePad is one I like, I usually use that. That's where how I started to code out my website and stuff and it lead to other programs. I also like the Windows Movie Maker 2, very useful for advertising the website! Very Happy
amusic
Yeah, notepad is really a powerful program. I like Microsoft Frontpage too, I learnt html from there. Very Happy
srijit
my favorite is EditPlus. been using it for more than 4 years. compared to it, notepad is shit Confused
Devil
i like word the best , cuz i use to edit all php files , it is very usefull .

2 would be calculater Crying or Very sad cuz i am weak in maths
bdoneck
none, windows sucks, though i am using it now and i use it more than linux, but only because i cant get my wireless card working with linux >_< its so annoying
Vrythramax
This is a very difficult question for me as I am a dedicated Microsoft hater. Notepad would have to rate amongst the top windows programs that I do use, and at the other end of that spectrum would have to be the microsoft office suite....to bloated to be of any real use to me.

As for Frontpage, I prefer a manual editor so I can control what actually goes in the source code and for that I use UltraEdit....with that program I can edit any text file and binary files as well in hexidecimal.

Let's see Microsoft come up with a program that allows you to disassemble visual basic program and edit the source....never gonna happen.
ignition
Favorite? Opera.
Least favorite? Prolly Quicktime...
Nibbler26
My Favorite Windows XP Programs:

Cheat Engine v5.2
Visual C++
Visual Basic
Photoshop Cs2
Wordpad

Why?

I Like Cheat Engine v5.2 Because Its Fun Hacking Games.. Getting Unlimited Attack, Super Speed, God Mode (You Never Die) And Stuff Like That...

Visual C++, I Like This Program Since Its What Im Going To Be Doing After I Finished High School.. Im Learning C++ Now To Make Hacks For The Games I Like.. Also Since Im Probably Going To Be A Game Programmer.. Or Probably A Security Programmer .. I Need My Degree.. So Ill Learn What I Can From Now To My Sophmore Year Second Term And Then Just Take The Computer Science Courses Lol.

Visual Basic Is A Program I Like To Use, I Dont Really Use It Anymore Since Im Learning C++, But I Did Learn A Few Things In A A Matter Of Days.. I Made About 5 Programs For MapleStory... Not Hacks... Just Support Programs.. Like Calculation Of Experience.. Stuff Like That.

Photoshop I Use Since I Am A Graphic Designer.. I Know How To Graphic Design.. And Nowadays Just Do It When Im Bored Or When Im Getting Tired Of My Old Siggy... Usually Use It To Fix Up Screenshots LOL.

Wordpad I Use Since Its Better Then Notepad... Since Wordpad Organizes It More.. And When You Make A Txt In Wordpad It Also Looks Better Then In Notepad =).. Usually Use To Copy And Paste Stuff.
cnnet
I like realone
it can play all kinds of media files
shwetanshu
i like notepad, wordpad, calculator

I hate IE
elcyron
counting only the stuff that ships with windows i'd say tracert, because it quite does what i expect it to do.
the worst IMHO is the explorer, not only is the defaultconfiguration totaly useless but it also sucks as a filemanager.

i'm a little suprised so many people like notepad, it's missing so many features. line number, syntax highlighting, auto indent...
mschnell
iTunes--it's just the best music player I've found.
Mrs Lycos
Winamp is one of my favorites, easy and light to run. AceHTMLPro too. The one I hate most? Internet Explorer!!! Can't think of anything worse.
bliushift
I totally agree. notepad is the god application. the simplicity of it is awesome. i just wish there was an constant autosave feature.

i believe that microsoft has totally missed the point in new programs. they overlook simplicity and try to jam a million features into it, circumventing the actual purpose of the application.

on top of that, for the major internet browser is obviously firefox due to its extensive plugin support, but lately its starting to get worse with feature-jamming. winamp is the formerly popular approach to audio, which i feel is better than itunes due to itune's clunky design and unfortunate unskinability.
vinx_18
one of my favorites are windows media player coz its very cool and the other one is notepad...simple but very useful and powerful....
Ressurrector
Definately fruity loops. Cause I love all the cool music u can make with it. If not that then paint shop pro 9 cause It can do some ill artwork.
utkufb
WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER the best windows program. I like microsoft office 2003, too.

All windows programs are good.
Jayfarer
Wordpad, because it's like Notepad, except I can bold, use italics, and set alignments!

That, and it doesn't run out of memory when you're writing a txt file hits 54 kb.
kenetix
Firefox and Notepad
Firefox - makes browsing easier Smile
Notepad - for coding php, simplicity
seanooi
I would have to say notepad as well. I do most of the things on it. LIke writing short notes, reminders, html. It's just cool Laughing
mtemizel
My favorite windows program is Saz Pro.
blackheart
That would have to be Internet Explorer.
romano
simple and powerfull
Notepad , the best
Nibbler26
Wow Has Everyone Noticed That The Most Popular Program That Everyone Likes Is Notepad And Wordpad LOL.. Im Actually Surprised Since There Are Other Word Processors Out There Like, Word Perfect, Microsoft Windows Excel, Word And More..
magnusmoty
PuNGS wrote:
I don't like any program that ships with Windows... The one I really like is Guitar Pro, really useful.

The one that I hate is Windows Messenger. Why make it since Microsoft already made MSN Messenger? I just don't get the point...

MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger are the SAME.

to thread:

==============>Linux<=============
adiutrix
They are NOT the same, one is cool and one isn't, I'm sure you all know which is which.

The best windows programme has to be MSN messenger, but only because it connects so many people togather.

Paint is pretty cool too Razz
James007
MSN Messenger is the advanced version of Windows Messenger. But they like to get in each other's way.

How to eradicate Windows Messenger
Go to start.
Go to run.
Fill in: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Press ok.
Goodbye Windows Messenger.

(MSN Messenger works perfectly without windows messenger, it are 2 different programs, remember Wink )

@Nibbler26: We don't need so many capitals.... Do You Know What I Mean? Thx.

James Smile
Daniel15
James007 wrote:
MSN Messenger is the advanced version of Windows Messenger. But they like to get in each other's way.

How to eradicate Windows Messenger
Go to start.
Go to run.
Fill in: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Press ok.
Goodbye Windows Messenger.

(MSN Messenger works perfectly without windows messenger, it are 2 different programs, remember Wink )

Yeah, I got rid of Windows Messenger, it really annoyed me.
Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger used to both start up at the same time on my computer. Then, they'd both try to log in, and then both complain that I'm logged on elsewhere. They both logged off after that... I got rid of Windows Messenger, and it fixed that Smile
codyb245
i would have to say paint its good for making sprites with the cool eraser trick that alows you to color the same color a different color i couldn't figure out how to do that on photoshop
James007
daniel15 wrote:

Yeah, I got rid of Windows Messenger, it really annoyed me.
Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger used to both start up at the same time on my computer. Then, they'd both try to log in, and then both complain that I'm logged on elsewhere. They both logged off after that... I got rid of Windows Messenger, and it fixed that Smile

Horrible... and it slows down startup. Windows Messenger logs in... but I can't see that... and then people start talking to me and a ancient messenger windows pops up... Then I need to say: Wait a sec, wrong messenger. The other messenger logs in, just like daniel said, complaining about being logged in somewhere else, confusing really. Embarassed
hive
Notepad rox

The best program in the galaxy
roeenoy
ummmm.... i do not think that is really good program who comes with the windows but i did a short search and i think that Notepad is good and the best one of all the editors in the net and there are some really nice games for boring like pinball...
joshua_erceg
Not sure if these are specifically WINDOWS programmes - but I like Jasc Paintshop, Macromedia Dreamweaver & Flash MX, Photoshop, Particle Illusion & some others... Very Happy
I HATE Movie Maker Confused
todabeat
jerski wrote:

What is your least favorite windows program? This excludes games - just a general program. Mine is Microsoft frontpage - expencive, big, and makes HTML users lazy, I've never seen a very good website using it.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad I use frontpage

But my favorite it has to be Photoshop
Least... uh...Windows media player
panazen
come on people, PAINT. you can do anything in there from drawing to typing. Every one has used it before, for simple things, or huge things.

As for the worst, i would have to say, IE.
Zuwiki
lockwolf wrote:
Command Prompt and Notepad. Using the 2, my fellow peers in school created a batch file that deleted all files with a *.* in its name. Now, everytime we boot the system we ran it on, we get a screen simular to the one below:

Isnt that some powerful stuff?

That batch file he made is my favorite Windows program, if you can call it a program.

Otherwise, viruses that completely destroy your Windows installation and installs Linux! I don't think it exists, but that would be awesome. I'd give it to all my friends who think Linux is too complicated. Very Happy
acamas
Probably Microssoft Word or notepad. Very simple and easy to use. It is the way to go!
corey
Fave: regedit.exe or fdisk.exe

Unfave: win.ini
MWANGI
jerski wrote:
Hello all,

What is your favorite windows program? This excludes games - just a general program. Mine is Microsoft notepad - free, simple, and small.

Hello to you all too,

I have a very difficult and hard time choosing between calc.exe and iexplorer.exe. They are both very useful.

Hold on..I've got it. Iexplorer because I can browse any site I want. I mean any..any..ANY!

Thanks for reading.
windrei
favourite windows program.... maybe window 95, haha.

i think notepad is very good anyway.
Rocky3478
First off, I'm a Mac user. So I don't use PC's all that much anymore.

When I did, my favorite apps were

iTunes (the Windows port)
Trillian
Notepad
Firefox
Thunderbird
Photoshop CS2
Photo Mechanic

Least favorite:
Mcaffee Antivirus
Norton Antivirus
Microsoft Office (other then Excel)

Now, on a Mac, I have so many more that I use on a regular basis. My productivity has gone WAY up.

Favorite apps:
Photoshop CS2
Safari
Mail
Adium (rock on!!!!)
Smultron
Fetch
AudioExpress
iTunes
Lightroom
Keynote
Pages
Photo Mechanic

Least favorite:
Adobe Lightroom (too slow, but it has a lot of promise)
Virtual PC
Office
Anything with Microsoft's name on it. Wink
ocalhoun
Win 4 Lin...
It is a windows program!
Only, instead of it running in windows, windows runs in it.