FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Woman Cashes Lottery Ticket From 1992

glennesau
Quote:
SYDNEY, Australia - In a case of better late then never, an Australian woman has collected 100,000 Australian dollars ($74,810) after cashing in a lottery ticket more than a decade after it was bought, an official said Friday.

The woman, who asked not to be identified, collected her winnings this week after discovering the ticket lodged in a greeting card she found in her home, a spokesman for New South Wales state Gaming Minister Grant McBride said on condition of anonymity he said was departmental policy.

The lottery ticket _ known in Australia as a scratchy because gamblers have to scratch the ticket to see if they have won a prize _ was bought in 1992.

The winner was doubly lucky as lottery officials are in the process of reining in the length of time people have to claim their winnings.

"Phased in over the next 10 years the government will be introducing a six-year time limit from which all prizes not claimed go straight back to New South Wales Lotteries for future prize winners," the spokesman said.

The largest unclaimed lottery prize in New South Wales is a A$3.3 million ($2,468,910) which has been gathering dust since 1997.

----------Comcast.net Strange News

Can you imagine waking up one day, finding a ticket in a card on your shelf and finding out that it is a winner?

Quote:
"Phased in over the next 10 years the government will be introducing a six-year time limit from which all prizes not claimed go straight back to New South Wales Lotteries for future prize winners," the spokesman said.

I'd say. I know here in Canada you have up to a year to claim your winnings. Can't believe that she kept it for that long. Congrats to the lady from down under Very Happy
zapdude
heh-heh, 10 years? The thing I'm most impressed with is the Welsh one, maybe the ticket was destroyed or something. Who knows?
She must be having a whale of a time.. Laughing
jaysen
im just amazed that she still had it after 10 years. i can't seem to hold onto a book for that length of time...

im sure the lottery people made out ok though.. im sure the interest on that amount after 10 years would have been a nice chunk of change in itself. (assuming they were able to collect interest on the money as it sat, waiting to be claimed)
zapdude
That was a good point a bout a book! I don't think I've kept a book that long either..actaully as I'm writing this I thin I have still have a spelling book from when I was in Year 3
NuniPio
ide love to clean da dust of that 3.3mil
Ressurrector
Wish I could win the lottery. Would be nice. But you know all that stuff is rigged by the state. So I don't spend my money on it usually. Maybe one day I can beleive in it.
SgtGarcia
She really was lucky she was still allowed to get the price. In Holland you don't get so much time to collect your price. It seems really funny, discovoring some old lottery ticket and winning money with it. I think om gonna check all my book immediately Razz. You'll never know what you'll find.
zeebo323
I don't understand how she could of just forgot about the ticket like that.. I usually just scratch them off in the car as soon as I buy them. I dont wait 10 years. Razz
Tiger
If I read correctly, she found it in a card, so maybe it was a birthday present or a get well card or something. If so, that was very generous of whoever gave her the card!

I'm pretty sure she can make better use of it now too. As we get older our values change. Ten years ago she may have bought CD's, a TV etc. Now she might buy something for her kids or something like that.

It's fun to speculate... of course, I'd prefer to earn some good money myself!