FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Philosophical definition of LOVE





dac_nip
Hey anyone, I'm wondering if anyone could possibly give me philosophical definitions of love. It can be Platonic or Socratic..etc or just your definition of love. thanks.
Slammer
I would say for me it is the unspoken connection between 2 people. And you just know when its there, its hard to explain exactly what it is. lol
jaysen
lol! I didn't expect to see a topic like this here... thatss for sure!

Well... love to me is when you care about a person enough that you wouldn't dream of being without them in your life, even if they mess up big time. Of course you can still be mad, hurt, upset etc but when the dust settles, you still care about that person as much as you did before.
Wether it be your partner, best friend or your dog its all the same basic building blocks of love, just to a different degree. ( mind you, if you love your dog in the same manner your gf, then i suggest you get out more often.. or get a better gf!)
UnderClassman
Love is an emotion you don't want to be on the other side of. It really hurts when you have no one to love you back.

Love is when you can't stand not being able to talk to her. You have to pick up that phone and dial her number. It's where you have to be with her, even if you're half way across the country. It's where the only available communication between you and her is the cell phone, and you utilize it for hours and hours.

Love is when you decide to call her, and she calls you. There is a connection between you and her, even if you happen to be a few hundred miles away. It's where you can't get her off of your mind. Every time you step into a room, she's there, in your thoughts.

You wouldn't ever dream about negative relations with her, there could be no such thing. And if there were, the cause would have to be something so terrible, anyone would have died instantly.

That's the love I know. But be warned! Every fraction has it's reciprocal. I've been to the highest places you can dream of. I just opened my wings and flew, with her of course. Summer of '05. Then when it ended, she clipped my wings and I fell. I fell so hard and so fast, but I never reached the ground. We were so high up that I couldn't reach it, that is until a gust of wind took me down.

Once I got to the cold, hard earth, I started to climb. I was climbing the mountain, her mountain. I climbed and climbed, and then I was at the top. Then I climbed down. I was over her. I was finally free, or so I thought. No! Love is so cruel. No matter how far I traveled away from that mountain, she was always there. And if not by my eyes, by my mind. I couldn't shake her.


I guess that's what you call love.
Lennon
The Philosophy of love...

Yes... like you're search for meaning in life ...

From the bottom of my heart I have a deep understanding of love...

BUT IT IS JUST A PART OF OUR HUMAN NATURE TO BE LOVED...

We can't help it but want to be loved Rolling Eyes

Love; happiness; Relationships; Community; Family; Sex; Bonding; Understanding; Peace

They're all connected.

THE WHOLE MEANING OF LIFE IS TO UNDERSTAND THAT LOVE...
Sappho
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
~ by 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 ~
seekerseyes
LOVE is live for me. When we die, we have to take care not die the second time.

I think, no, I feel, that love is a real thing, like an ocean of light we are swimming in. But we can close ourselves in dark shades, to "protect" ourselves from the pain, done to us from the "others". But in doing this, we cut ourself from love, from life, from the Light, from God.

Don΄t be scared and try to let all barricades fall down for 10 seconds, really all, then you will never go back in your dark prison again. Swing yourself up in the highs of Love, embracing the whole mankind, more, the whole creation.

Love is only a word, the true Love nobody is able to describe. Love, oh my Love, my God.

With Love
Seekerseyes
Bookface
A book I really like on the subject:
On Love, by Alain de Botton:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0802134092

Check out the first few pages of this book, too (not the prologue, the excerpt):
Still Life with Woodpecker, by Tom Robbins:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0553348973

One last reccommendation:
Robert Pirsig's two books, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenece: An Inquiry into Values, which is followed by Lila: An Inquiry into Morals.
karysky
Physiologically, love is a chemical reaction in the brain to ensure reproduction of the species...

Philosophically, I'd say that love is when your soul meets his counterpart in another one.

That was taken from the movie Wedding Crashers, but I loved it.
shwetanshu
my frnd's definition who after fighting with his gf sent me sms:
L - Lake of Sorrows
O - Ocean of Tears
V - Valley of Death
E - End of Life
MalvagioAddict
Love well, there's a lot definition of love, love is a differently defined by many different people.

I guess for me, love is finding someone that you would make it your mission to always be happy and someone who would always make you happy.

loving someone is just being able to be with someone and finding yourself complete. I know Jerry Maguire definition, it sucks and corny but it might seem like the real thing.
vinx_18
Love is giving your all, sharing what you have, doing the best. MOst especially Love is GOD and GOD is love.....
hofer
UnderClassman wrote:
Love is an emotion you don't want to be on the other side of. It really hurts when you have no one to love you back.

Love is when you can't stand not being able to talk to her. You have to pick up that phone and dial her number. It's where you have to be with her, even if you're half way across the country. It's where the only available communication between you and her is the cell phone, and you utilize it for hours and hours.

Love is when you decide to call her, and she calls you. There is a connection between you and her, even if you happen to be a few hundred miles away. It's where you can't get her off of your mind. Every time you step into a room, she's there, in your thoughts.

You wouldn't ever dream about negative relations with her, there could be no such thing. And if there were, the cause would have to be something so terrible, anyone would have died instantly.

That's the love I know. But be warned! Every fraction has it's reciprocal. I've been to the highest places you can dream of. I just opened my wings and flew, with her of course. Summer of '05. Then when it ended, she clipped my wings and I fell. I fell so hard and so fast, but I never reached the ground. We were so high up that I couldn't reach it, that is until a gust of wind took me down.

Once I got to the cold, hard earth, I started to climb. I was climbing the mountain, her mountain. I climbed and climbed, and then I was at the top. Then I climbed down. I was over her. I was finally free, or so I thought. No! Love is so cruel. No matter how far I traveled away from that mountain, she was always there. And if not by my eyes, by my mind. I couldn't shake her.


I guess that's what you call love.


You touched me with that story, I know what you're talking about and I also know how bad is to fall.
dac_nip
UnderClassman wrote:
Love is an emotion you don't want to be on the other side of. It really hurts when you have no one to love you back.

That's the love I know. But be warned! Every fraction has it's reciprocal. I've been to the highest places you can dream of. I just opened my wings and flew, with her of course. Summer of '05. Then when it ended, she clipped my wings and I fell. I fell so hard and so fast, but I never reached the ground. We were so high up that I couldn't reach it, that is until a gust of wind took me down.

Once I got to the cold, hard earth, I started to climb. I was climbing the mountain, her mountain. I climbed and climbed, and then I was at the top. Then I climbed down. I was over her. I was finally free, or so I thought. No! Love is so cruel. No matter how far I traveled away from that mountain, she was always there. And if not by my eyes, by my mind. I couldn't shake her.


I guess that's what you call love.


woah..that's sad dude. i created this thread in order to determine just how many definitions of love there is. For I know that even the greatest philosopher can't define love and no one will be able to define it completely and applicable to everyone. Philospher's say, especially Plato that love is madness. Now I want to ask the question "IF LOVE IS MADNESS, ARE YOU WILLING TO EMBRACE IT?"
ocelotweb
I don't exactly know what love is being that I haven't really experienced it. I've sought love time after time but to no avail. It's no longer about love anymore, it's about how much money you have, what you drive, what you wear, who you know, how sexy/hot you are, what you live in. All of that. Any woman or guy will say they will live in a cardboard box with you and hug together to keep warm, but when it actually comes down to it, no one really does it. I'm really sick of girls that are all about that kind of mess. I'm a moderately attractive guy, I drive a Mustang, and I have some money in my pocket, it's just that how hott you are crap. But you know who girls complain to when their boyfriends being an a-hole? You guessed it ME! sickens me
adwya
love

in

marriage only
Lennon
1st comes love,
2nd comes marriage;
3rd comes the baby in the golden carriage Shocked
dac_nip
Lennon wrote:
1st comes love,
2nd comes marriage;
3rd comes the baby in the golden carriage Shocked


..and then what dude? your life becomes miserable. haha Very Happy
MWANGI
shwetanshu wrote:
my frnd's definition who after fighting with his gf sent me sms:
L - Lake of Sorrows
O - Ocean of Tears
V - Valley of Death
E - End of Life


Your have a very good friend who accurately,clearly,precisely understands the whole meaning.

Send my regards and tell him/her to keep thinking in the right path.
Soulfire
I really don't think you can define love, it's just something that happens, something that occurs, something that exists, because it is different for every person.
jerski
Philosophical definition of love as I feel. Love is feeling of deep affection for someone who has tempted emotionally for seeking devotion and regard. Two factors contribute one is external appearance and the other is internal appearance (behavior, similarity etc Wink. These two main attractions tempt people for wish. The qualities are so pleasant that we internally begin to respect the qualities that lead us to devotion. We feel deep attachment with person and fall in love, it may be mother/ father, son/ daughter, home pets, husband/ wife or friends or anybody who has attracted to invite attention to feel attached. Mother hugs and cares her baby because she is very much attached and can not allow a day/moment missing without seeing her, even if she is out she still has baby in her mind and concerned. We feel as one and part of us so take care and feelings of sacrifice emerges in us. Love is a result of advanced culture and civilizations where people evolved realization.
dac_nip
jerski wrote:
Philosophical definition of love as I feel. Love is feeling of deep affection for someone who has tempted emotionally for seeking devotion and regard. Two factors contribute one is external appearance and the other is internal appearance (behavior, similarity etc Wink. These two main attractions tempt people for wish. The qualities are so pleasant that we internally begin to respect the qualities that lead us to devotion. We feel deep attachment with person and fall in love, it may be mother/ father, son/ daughter, home pets, husband/ wife or friends or anybody who has attracted to invite attention to feel attached. Mother hugs and cares her baby because she is very much attached and can not allow a day/moment missing without seeing her, even if she is out she still has baby in her mind and concerned. We feel as one and part of us so take care and feelings of sacrifice emerges in us. Love is a result of advanced culture and civilizations where people evolved realization.


how about reciprocity? is it a requriement for love. It only means that you can love anything, anyone..etc. it does not necessarily mean that they need to love you back. what do you think of that? what is selfish love?
Related topics
Love is Love
Want to know if LOVE is real?
In Search of Non-Corrupt Politicians
Love - Fantasy or REAL?
Are atheists more likely to be fellons?
Artificial Intelligence
Buddhism
A debate of religion, science, and more
What is love?
Destiny versus freewill
Do you think humans will become extinct ever?
What is the philosophical definition of the State?
what is your definition of love?
Agnosticism - false / uncomplete definition
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.