FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Please Speak Properly

madsencarl
Ok, I've seen so many posts (in the hundreds) where people use horrible English. The word order is the worst, and the spelling second worst. Please learn where to put words in your sentences.
I don't care what country you're from, I don't go on Indian forums and use a google translator to post. If your language isn't in the multi-language boards, then learn fluent English before posting over and over and over again.
Also, READ THE RULES. I've seen two topics today (it's 2pm in Australia) where they blatantly broke the rules.
I'm no racist, I just don't wanna have to read a sentence 10 times over before realising the message it's trying to get out.

This is a plea. Respect it.
KHO
Neutral l actually agree with this, l understand that this is the internet, so we are bound to get plenty of people that aren't from the US, but English is the mother tounge Neutral and is taught just about everywhere Neutral. Some spelling is understandable, but words that are used in every day speach should not be missused Neutral. l have had to read some posts about ten times through before l finally understood what the request was Neutral. l am not trying to be rude, racist, or even offend you at all if you speak like this Neutral, but please, for all our sakes, learn proper English!
Jeslyn
Jesus Christ, not everything is racist. In fact, race has nothing to do with how well someone speaks English, so I don't know why it was even brought up. You either know English or you don't. End.

Besides, I can think of something else that is more annoying. Wink
KHO
Jeslyn wrote:
Jesus Christ, not everything is racist. In fact, race has nothing to do with how well someone speaks English, so I don't know why it was even brought up. You either know English or you don't. End.

Besides, I can think of something else that is more annoying. Wink
What like 50 Neutral's in a post? Neutral
jeopardy98
I appreciate this post because I, myself, am an English teacher and being new I didn't wan't to step on any toes but...

As I have been reading through, or attempting to read, these posts I have become increasingly frustrated at the sentence structure and improper usage of words on this forum. Instead of just complaing about the problem I thought I would try and offer some help along these lines. I have included a few very common grammar/spelling mistakes that might help those of you struggling with the language, whether you are American or not.

1. The subject almost always comes before the verb. Who does what instead of what does who.

2. alot is two words- a lot

3. There means a location such as: Where is the cup? It is over there Their implies ownership such as: That is their cup. They're is a contraction meaning
they are

4. To is a preposition that implies going somewhere or doing something such as: I am going to the store to buy some milk. Too means also such as: Can I go
too? Two is a number. No explanation should be needed there.

5. Sentences start with a capital letter and end with a period, question mark, or an exclamation point. I know this is the internet and not everyone uses capital letters, but you should at least end your thought with some punctuation so people know when you have moved to a new thought.

I could go on all night but I am sure that most of you who need this info have already quit reading so I will end the lesson for now. Anyone who has something that they notice as being a fairly common problem, please feel free to add it.
Jayfarer
I notice this a lot too, but I try to be more considerate and just forget trying to figure out what they're trying to say. I just click back and read something else.
mschnell
Well, seeing as we're all stating opinions here, I feel that you're all being a little overly impatient. I think we should be happy that many people from many different backgrounds can communicate on the same forums. Even if you aren't being racist, I don't find this to be an opropriate place to "teach" basic english. Perhaps this is because I don't see it as constructively helping anyone.
helk
I tend to overlook it, but it's ruddy annoying.
I suppose there's not much people can do but try to communicate. But if they don't update their skills over time...

I don't know wether people with bad english would benefit at ALL from trying to learn english here, wouldn't it be just as hard for them to read it as write it? Rolling Eyes
Bondings
jeopardy98 wrote:
5. Sentences start with a capital letter and end with a period, question mark, or an exclamation point. I know this is the internet and not everyone uses capital letters, but you should at least end your thought with some punctuation so people know when you have moved to a new thought.

I certainly agree with you on this one. I find it very annoying when people don't use proper punctuation in their posts. There is a difference between not knowing English and using proper punctuation. I suppose that I'm not the only one "giving up" after a few lines while reading some posts. This is something you can avoid.

Making a their/there mistake is completely different. I also make a lot of (stupid) mistakes, as English is only my third language. But I always try to make my posts clear and easy to understand and avoid spelling mistakes as much as possible. Using puntuation and white lines certainly helps a lot.
Daniel15
Bondings wrote:
Making a their/there mistake is completely different. I also make a lot of (stupid) mistakes, as English is only my third language. But I always try to make my posts clear and easy to understand and avoid spelling mistakes as much as possible. Using puntuation and white lines certainly helps a lot.

English is your third language Bondings? You know it pretty well then Wink
And yes, putting text into paragraphs helps a lot, it makes it easier to read.

[qoute] Please Speak Properly[/quote]Well, it's not really speaking, is it? More like "Please Type Properly".... Very Happy
tidruG
We've had a similar discussion quite some time back. A few conclusions I drew from that discussion were:
  • There are too many members for whom English is not their first language (including me, though now I am very comfortable communicating in English... though I think my vocabulary needs to improve), and we can't really do anything about that.
  • The Internet has changed the way people write/type. Everybody's looking for a shortcut to every word.

While I try to make sure that all my sentences are grammatically perfect and well punctuated, I've never really suggested to other members to improve their writing because as long as I am able to understand what the member was trying to say, I have no problem.

And I know your obvious argument to that statement will be that you are not complaining about the posts which are understandable, but the ones which are completely not understandable. I only have one suggestion about that... ignore those posts. :Wink:
iridios
What bothers me is not the broken english of non english speaking people, but rather the "leet speak" of lazy English speakers.

I have traveled around the world enough to understand that foreign (to me) speakers are attempting to work with me when they speak english, and I tried to reciprocate by at least learning polite phrases in their language.

But Americans (mostly) and other english speakers who fail to use their own language correctly annoy me. Especially those who purposely do so.
lockwolf
Crap gotta stop writing messages in leet and binary!

01010111 01100001 01101001 01110100 00101100 00100000 01001001 00100000 01101000 01100001 01110110 01100101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01110010 01101001 01110100 01110100 01100101 01101110 00100000 01100001 00100000 01110000 01101111 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100001 00100000 01001001 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01101110 01101011 00100000 01001001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100100 01101111 00100000 01101001 01110100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110111 00100001
Srs2388
so, words like
"ain't" and "ya'll" and things that arn't in the english dictionary is bad?
or is that not bad?
Yuka
I agree with this. My spelling/grammar/word choice might be off the mark sometimes, but I at least try to make my posts understandable. I know that some people find writing in english difficult, that's not what annoys me - it's when people use extreme chatspeak and butcher words. When it takes several minutes to decipher a single sentence, it's gone too far IMHO. Neutral
blackheart
KHO wrote:
l understand that this is the internet, so we are bound to get plenty of people that aren't from the US,

Yea - it's sure hard to understand people from countries like England, Australia and New Zealand who aren't American.

Rolling Eyes

I have to admit - (and I'm a pretty damb anti-racist, pro-homo, equal opportunity kind of person) - that the bad grammar/punctuation/general English here does get to me.
And although this is harsh - I think you should really only be posting in an English speaking forum if you can write the language without a translator... and if your post can be read without a translator.

Arrow Jess Black
carriage_return
I must say that I have what you would call "mixed feelings" about this particular topic. Specially since different kinds of situations have been pointed out and, as the people who did remarked, they represent different kind of problems/situations.

In one hand, we have people (like me) whose mother language is not English (I think someone said English is the mother language, I must disagree with that ... I've tried to read it in different ways, but I can't think of how English could be *the* mother language.) When I find someone in this condition (regardless of where I do, this forum or somewhere else), it always comes down to a particular analysis. There are a lot of sincere and grateful people with real problems and questions, and they are just having a hard time expressing themselves in your language. Sometimes people resort to desperate measures. Do you hate the babelfish post? Well, that might be his last resort as well; and even frustrated he is trying to pull what I consider is a good move: he is doing the best thing he can think of to solve a problem he has. I guess, all I'm trying to say is: give them a little break, and if you can understand them as them to explain further, and if you don't want to ... then don't answer. It's ok, you're not a bad guy for doing that.

On the other hand, on the matter of all sorts of slang abuse. Please, stop. Not because you don't have the right to, by all means you do. But the point of public forums is to share information. I can understand the struggle you can have with the language. I can deal with posts made with little knowledge of English, or Spanish, if that would be the case. But please don't do it on purpose. You are just making it hard on the rest of us. But in this case, you mean it.

carriage_return
Soulfire
Yes, forgive those "inferiors" who cannot speak good English. I can't even speak English the greatest, and it's my native language. I do agree with you to some extent.

Perhaps you should redirect them to their native board? Or just make a rule saying they can't join if they can't speak English right. Why not take it to the extreme and ban fat people, dark-haired people, and blue-eyed people too!

Okay, so I strayed off point slightly, and there may not be much point to this post. You can't expect everyone to be perfect at it, some people do it just to do it.

What I think is more annoying than improper langage is "computer" language, like:

d00d
phr33
pl0x
st00f
pwnz

The list continues...

That's what drives me up the wall.

So, in conclusion, don't expect us all to be perfect, but also try your best to speak good English.
tidruG
While carriage-return's post makes a lot of sense, I also agree equally with blackheart's post.

It really makes very little sense to post in a English forum if you can't communicate in English without the use of a translator. Even if members had the patience to try and convert a particular post from x langauge to English, I don't think it's possible to find a good free online translator than can efficiently translate text. I've tried Google's translator, and it really wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped for.
guissmo
i know a lot of people do this

and it's so annoying! adding Hs at the end of the words?!

I just took a picture using mah cameraH.
And it's soh cool.

or some uppercase lowercase...

ThiS sEnTenCe Isn'T ThAt iRRiTaTinG, iS iT?

i can tolerate bad grammar and 1337.
but i'm sure a lot of people hate it.

what i can't tolerate are those examples i gave.
grr. it makes me wanna ignore my friends in messenger!
izimngcubes15
Yeah, well what can you say? People may not like to type in proper grammer, maybe they just want something to type faster. Like shortcuts I think. Many people uses shortcuts and some people get annoyed because they don't use proper English. I am sometimes annoyed, because sometimes I can understand what they just typed.

Yeah it happens....oh and to be on the Spelling side, you spelled realizing wrong, it's with a Z.