FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with sendmail

ammonkc
I have a linux server and I keep getting a sendmail error "501 bad address syntax" and a "data format error". what does this error mean? usually if the email address is wrong or doesn't exist it will give me an "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" message. but this is different. if I try to send a mail message from within the sendmail from the commandline it sends fine. but when mail gets sent from a php script I get that "501 bad address syntax" error. it seems to me that the send mail server is configured correctly because I can send messages from sendmail directly. but when it is originating from a php script it fails. any ideas. maybe there's someone out there that is more familiar with sendmail than me.
pjv
Sendmail problems can sometimes be difficult to solve. Try this site http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com you may get something out of their tutorial.

They also have tutorials on DNS, Apache and other server stuffs and their quiet good.

Good luck!
kv
Can you post the php code you are using to send mail? Also look into you php.ini file and check the mail configuration.
ammonkc
I actually fixed the problem. it turned out to be the sender email address was wrong. I didn't write this particular script. but whoever did was using the IP of the host for the email domain. I just had to go into the code and take out the server ip and replace it with the domain name and it was good. i'm not sur why whoever coded that page did it like that. I think it was just for development and testing purposes, because there was no domain name registered at the time he was writing it.