FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

extracting a zipped file

burningjacks
I need some help...i have a full backup of my old site. its a .zip file. if i upload that how do i extract it?
Metaguy
In windows XP its left click, extract. Also try WinRaR. Google it.
madsencarl
You have to extract it before uploading. Then just use the mass file uploader.
Daniel15
You can't unarchive ZIP files on the server, although you can unarchive .TAR.GZ files.

Just get 7-Zip (it's free) and unzip your ZIP file. Next, add all the files into a .TAR archive (from within 7-Zip). Finally, add the tar file into a GZip archive. If this works, you'll have a file like: backup.tar.gz.

Next, upload the .tar.gz file to your web space (either by using FTP, or the DirectAdmin File Manager). If you go into the DirectAdmin file manager, there will be an 'Unarchive' option next to the file.

I don't have a DirectAdmin account (so I can't try it), but it should work.
orno
dont know about directadmin, but cPanel extracts zip files alright (as long as they are min version 2.0.... latest versions of winzip and/or winrar create compatible zip files)

so try uploading your zipfile and then use cPanel inbuilt extract feature...if it still doesnt work and its too much of a problem re-uploading the whole thing as daniel15 mentioned, try contacting an administrator to help unzip it for you...
Panthrowzay
I have that but still most of the time it STILL doent work so i just find the information (in installation cases) on the internet. The tar.gz format is really cooll tough. But I have to ask yall is 7zip the only program that does this, because if there is a difference in formating there could be a problem Crying or Very sad
Daniel15
Panthrowzay wrote:
But I have to ask yall is 7zip the only program that does this, because if there is a difference in formating there could be a problem Crying or Very sad

No, there's a few programs that do it, but 7-Zip is the only one I know. What 's so bad about 7-Zip? It's freeware!