FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CS Source vs CS 1.6?

greenman
I just played cs for the first time in a while, and while i think cs source looks awesome, i hear regular players stick to the original 1.6. whats your take?
magnusmoty
CSS RULEZZ!!! 1.6 saks!
n0obie4life
I have both games and I'm sticking with 1.6 Wink.

It's more original, the new maps in source are horrible IMO.
Thug
Source looks way better and it owns, i been playin it since the first Counterstrike got released, and no i rather have new gfx then lookin at these old wack ass graphics lmao Laughing
greenman
anyone catch the facelift militia got? damn, the amount of detail on this map is just crazy...
PuNGS
I had already played the two, but I prefer CS 1.6...

CS:S have enhanced graphics, is more beautiful than it's predecessor, but I think that the gameplay is ruined... I don't like the idea of everybody in the same team beign the same character...

CS 1.6 is more enjoyable, it's gameplay is way better. Although it's not so beautiful, I stick with it.
Commando_Sondre
n0obie4life wrote:
I have both games and I'm sticking with 1.6 Wink.

It's more original, the new maps in source are horrible IMO.
I agree, CSS feels to different for me, I have played CS 1.6 since x-mas, and when I tried CSS, it was like "WOW, amazing grapichs," but the gameplay was to different from CS 1.6. But the 1337s (leets, pros) haven't start playing CSS, you can feel that in the chat. In 1.6, the pros are like this "OMFG, u n00b haxxor" But in CSS most peoples are friendly with each other!

So, CSS is good, but CS 1.6 is much better!
Insanity
It's probably because of my fear of change, but I've just started to play CS again and after trying source for a while I thought that it was waaay more different than 1.6. The sudden change in graphics and stuff was too much for me.
5C1
i preder cs source.. mayb the graphic.1
Scott
I love the feel of 1.6, I don't usually like games being too realistic for some reason. Besides, I don't have a good enough video card to run Source, so why bother spending extra money for something I don't like that much.
lockwolf
I haven't got my hands on CS:S yet but I do have 1.6 and I love it. I really coundn't think on moving over to CS:S because I would have to deal with all these half life noobs that are all "I only got this cuz I got HL2" or something like that. Besides, you can find more stuff out there for CS 1.6 when it comes to resources and other stuff like that.

Just a question, anyone have it in the original mod form? I found a copy of it on a few old PC Gamer Demo Discs I have laying around.
Empath
I do think the graphics on CSS look great, but I just can't seem to enjoy playing it as much as 1.6.

This may be partly because my favourite server has stuck with 1.6, and CS is more fun when you play with friends.
Dustin
They are both good, but personally ive found 1.6 better
nOScott
source is so much better.. compared to game today ... i cant even look at 1.6 graphics anymore. The m4 is as long as 10 feet and the nades remind me of a basketball
lpbrasil
I have and play CS 1.6, he is more "light" know, and is more easy for find servers for play online. Very Happy
Enderwiggin
Heres my take:
Graphics wise:
CSS > CS 1.6 hands down

Engine wise:
CSS > CS 1.6 easily as well

but...
Gameplay wise:
CSS < CS 1.6 The gameplay in source is... lacking to say the least, Its just no where near as fun as 1.6 was, and since Source is so much newer, alot more is expected, Its less fun.

Overall, looking at this you'd think source is better, but I would have to say 1.6 is better, due to the fact that the point of a game is how fun it is, and since 1.6 is more fun, the choice is obvious, at least for me Razz
nntien
I have played Counter Strike for a long time. But at that time I have never hear Counter Strike Source. I think it very interesting.
Thanks!
Magix
Counter-Strike Source is totally better than Counter-Strike 1.6 by alot. I mean the maps and graphics of Counter-Strike Source are just way better than Counter-Strike 1.6. But if you don't have a good video/graphics card I wouldn't even waste my time buying Counter-Strike Source because you're going to lag so bad that you won't be able to play. But if your just looking for a cool/fun game to play, then Counter-Strike 1.6 would be a good option. I would recommend buying the Counter-Strike pack that comes with Counter-Strike Condition Zero.
nOScott
1.6 looks so bad i dont even know how they stand to look at it... it is very outdated and is going to stay that way so i dont understand why people dont get source
a.Bird
nOScott wrote:
1.6 looks so bad i dont even know how they stand to look at it... it is very outdated and is going to stay that way so i dont understand why people dont get source

You obviously haven't read any of the posts in this thread. Let me help you out.

People who can't afford to blow over $150 or even higher on a new videocard will not be able to run source efficiently and without lag. Because apparently, that is the only difference- CS:S is prettier and requires more video resources. It also apparently has worse gameplay in most people's opinion.

CS 1.6... gah I don't even know what to say to you. You just sound like a snobby consumer ******. "1.6 looks so bad" ??? Have you ever played duke nukem 3d? That game looks horrible now, but it had just about the best engine of it's time and thus was one of the highest selling first-person shooters during it's gaming era. 1.6 plays a lot better than source and for a lot of people, that's more important. For others, who are only impressed by graphics, like yourself, it's obviously not important at all. That's your answer.
Hanpusu-kun
1.6 is better then Source.
why?
Well, the gameplay is twice as better.
And like in the fight between PSP and NDS, better graphics isnt the whole thing about a game.
PuNGS
I prefer gameplay than graphics. Those new games have powerful graphics, but lack of gameplay... Those 'outdated' games you say are a lot better to play.
warning
I have played: CS1.5/1.6, CZ and CS:S. I started 1.5 four years ago. In my standards, if you have played since 1.5 or earlier, you will like 1.6 better beause your used to it. If your new to the game, CS:S will be more in your liking because of the GREAT graphics and sound.
AgenthHero
Counter Strike source will rule all. I love those surf maps on special servers. There soo cool.
cire
Ive played CS 1.3 to 1.6/ CSS / CZ

and i think 1.6 is way better, CSS = too much noob... way too easy to get a score like 30-7. CZ = Not alot of ppl play that hehe Laughing CS 1.6 its awsome!!!!
notaznatall
CS 1.6 beats Source by A LONG SHOT the reason being 1.6 needs like 1/10 the RAM u need for SOURCE, you can have a cheap video card so u dont have to waste 400 dollars for a new one, and the number of people who play is alot (and i mean ALOT) greater than the people who play Counter-Strike Source.<-------------------My Opinion.
nachjo chip
i think cs 1.6 is soo (<- note the extra 'o') much better than CSS because of the bots and the console. first of all, css requires american keyb setting in windows so i cant bring down the console without going us layout, and typing is hell without going nor layout... also, i think the css bots suck compared to the ones i have for cs 1.6, and i also dislike the concept of all people having the same ugly skin.
root
aceman14
I prefer 1.6 over CS:S, but mainly because of the warcraft mod...every summer CS becomes my crack and i usually get off it when school starts. I've been playing cs for about 4 years now, and 1.5 was much, much better than 1.6 imo. Rolling Eyes
Timoses
I've never played CS1.6 alot. And I just got used to CSS and I now think
it's better than CS1.6. I don't know what it makes the game better but
I just think it is newer and got more players into CSS again.
Since my Computer sucks and I always have like 30 fps max and sometimes
even under 10 fps... I have to get a new computer.... lol
Vanquish
I don't think theres any doubt that CSS isn't any better but it's mainly just like REALLY good players who stick to 1.6 as thats what they have played the longest maybe and thats what they are best at, so they like to stick to that. Maybe it's something to do with skill or maybe its the friends they have on the game? I'm not sure but myself I am a CZ'er and I sometimes play Source. The reason I don't want to just play source all the time even though its better graphics, is because of the friends I have on CZ. There is also a lot of noobs in Source and lots of noob clans wich is rather annoying. This is my opinion that source is better than 1.6 but everyone has their own opinion.
Malkin
1.6 all the way
Bengt
Boooh CS Laughing
i dont like it Very Happy
Visca
I played CS:S first then CS 1.6. CS:S is hard and the gameplay is the best if i say so myself. When I changed to CS 1.6 and I really didn't like it much.... because the first reason is THE SHITTY GRAPHICS (no offense) the second reason is..... the gameplay... it was horrible because I get kicked every time I do a "5k spraydown" or "3 headshots in a row" or something pro-ish like kills. They say like "OMG F*CK! KICK HIM!!!"

CS 1.6 is great but the challenge is gone but CS:S however, it's best so I changed back to Source co's I'm tired of getting kicked all over again and waiting for the game to finish downloading stuff from a server.

CS:S = HARD,CHALLENGING, AND BETTER GRAPHICS = I AM PRO
CS 1.6= EASY,NO CHALLENG, AND WORST GRAPHICS = I AM GOD

BTW... I'm from Philippines so sorry if my English is bad
Dementei
LOL thread from 2006 and first post, nice man.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
fredynis
cs 1.6 ofc, best game ever! Smile
luciferfawkes
I know the question was 1.6 vs Source but I'm going to go with CS: Global Offensive. Finally, a company is taking the balls to make a game where BOTH PC and console games alike can play at the same time in some good 'ol Terrorists vs Counter-Terrorists action!
drunkenkoz
Yeah... the answer to this debate is obviously going to be the original CS 1.6. I tend to stick to the more updated games like Counter-Strike: Source. My reason for choosing source is because of the graphics, enhanced gameplay, and better server management. I find that CS 1.6 is a little outdated for me and I like working for more up to date games. Once Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is released I'm going to be quitting Counter-Strike: Source.
andro_king
cs is great game.. it was my first pc game which i played... enjoyed to the core... and even played with many online players.. great time killer...
luciferfawkes
drunkenkoz wrote:
Yeah... the answer to this debate is obviously going to be the original CS 1.6. I tend to stick to the more updated games like Counter-Strike: Source. My reason for choosing source is because of the graphics, enhanced gameplay, and better server management. I find that CS 1.6 is a little outdated for me and I like working for more up to date games. Once Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is released I'm going to be quitting Counter-Strike: Source.

Exactly my thoughts. *tips hat*
william
I hated the Counter-Strike series at first. I found no joy and nothing rewarding in the game. Sure, it was a well made first person shooter, and yes I was a big fan of Valve titles, but it bored me.

It's too bad that my introduction to Counter-Strike was with CS:S. A couple years ago, I gave Counter-Strike 1.6 a shot, and boy what a difference. I went from being bored out of my mind to becoming nearly addicted. I never imagined that I would feel such a difference. Oh, and the riot shield is awesome.

Certainly not my favorite Valve title (or even top 5), but CS 1.6 is a fantastic shooter. After Team Fortress 2, it's probably the best LAN game I play with my friends.
bills4
this is suck games i play when i am child , i think now it still is the best
alimddine
I played Counter Source with my friends and its way better than 1.6. Its more realistic and there are no more pixels. The bad news are that you have to put a lot of patches to make Counter Source work.