FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Google Pack

myrevolt
Google Pack http://pack.google.com/ Has anyone heard of this? Sounds like a good idea it may save me some from having to install all these apps everytime i fix a computer (especially cause they dont keep them up to date)....like windows update but for apps. i have yet to try it, but looks good and i'll be sure to try it next comp i have to repair Razz
AlexC
thats a googd idea and seems like it owuld save some time..... i would downlod it but i only have dial-up but im getting bb in like 2-3 months

Alex.
mschnell
Google's an interesting company--offering everything for free. It's a bit mysterious...and they're in the news a lot lately. Out to conquer the world I believe. Anyhow, it's an interesting concept but I definitely don't like clogging up my system with junk I won't use.

-Matt
raver
don`t trust google... google is evil and just plain bad... they like to play with your privacy too too much.. so its a big no no for me...
sibbahz
This is quite a good idea but im guessing they just want you to install their search toolbar.
Clever way of getting people to use every piece of google software there is!
Jayfarer
Good for reformatting, and they're nice enough to let you choose not to install their search toolbar.
bliushift
useful but not necessary. im not as paranoid as raver is, but google is something to be careful with. as the average trend goes, "dont trust smart people."
James007
I tried it... the only thing I don't like is their updater running constantly in my systray... but I do think it is a good concept. Of course there are a lot of Google products involved... Very Happy

James Smile
jgangl
Why would they bundle a demo of norton antivirus? And who seriously uses google desktop? I don't even know anyone who has even downloaded it just to try it! And toolbars suck.
billgertz
just check on the whole thing, I dont recommend you to install all the programs that are inside the package. man, You will just clogg your PC. Just install the things that you need, you might end up with a 'christmas tree' PC specially if its a pre-historic model.
kjuvale
Yes This is a good idea. It may solve many problems during installations of softwares. I should try this. Will be trying soon. Laughing
stiffler
Google Picasa is pretty neat, so is Google Earth
Insanity
I actually don't really see the point of bundling them all into one package when you can simply download each one. Sure its not as fast but at least you don't get a lot of junk like that Norton demo or Google Desktop.
silvermesh
yeah im in the "I don't download packages" boat. Some of their stuff is cool, but there is a good deal of software out there that sucks, and I like to pick and choose well before I've decided to hit the download button. no sense wasting time.
Daniel15
jgangl wrote:
And who seriously uses google desktop? I don't even know anyone who has even downloaded it just to try it!

I downloaded it to try it, and it uses all my system resources!! I didn't think that would be possible with Windows XP and 320MB RAM, but it did! All my programs go weird, and boxes about system resources pop up. I can't make a screenshot because there's not enough memory free (That's what it says when I press Print Screen).

Uninstalling Google Desktop fixed my problem, so I'm assuming that it was the one that caused it.

Quote:
yeah im in the "I don't download packages" boat. Some of their stuff is cool, but there is a good deal of software out there that sucks, and I like to pick and choose well before I've decided to hit the download button. no sense wasting time.

Yeah, I hate the "Download the package with everything in it"-type downloads. I hate most linux distributions because of this (they install about 2GB of stuff). That's why when I use Linux, I install the Ubuntu server edition (~200MB), and then customise it, ONLY installing what I need. My testing server's installation is only 450MB, which is pretty small.
orc_lord
hmm google is a good company.
thiamshui
this sucks.. i can find better software than those..
adwya
THATS GOOD IEDA