FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Trying to find a mate for my old computer

sunjay
Hi,

I want to upgrade the graphics to a better one. you know, upgrade to geforce 2 or radeon 8500 maybe. and need some advice and help.

I have a Celeron 1.1ghz computer with no agp slot and 512 mb of ram. the motherboard is a Gigabyte 6VEML which has an intergrated graphics card. I really want to sell this computer for a better one but this is not my priority at the moment. i'm a student, you see.

so yeah, any advice, warnings, help, would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys at frihost

James
photon
as your motherboard doesnt have an agp slot, your best bet will be a pci based card. but im not sure about the availability of those cards. and even if you get the card, your cpu will be a bottleneck

so my advice : dont get the gfx now. sell the whole system and get a better one
magnusmoty
pci cards are wery slow.
maybe slover than your integrated graphics card.
sunjay
thanks guys,

I'll think about trading my computer for a more powerful one. How much do you think i can get it for?

here are the specs.

Intel Celeron 1.1ghz overclocked to 1.4ghz
512mb pc133
40gb 7200rpm hdd
Gigabyte 6veml motherboard
16X DVD ROM
40X12X48X CD-RW drive
Intergrated 8mb graphics
Intergrated sound
WinXP Pro

James
anubis26
My guess would be $200 because new computers from companies such a e-machines cost around $300. I recommend selling it on eBay due to the large amount of people buying there, you would get the highest price.
sunjay
hi,

thanks for that. Do you mean 200 US dollars? cos, i live in australia and currentcy a bit different.

thanks
James
ericbobson
If your problem is only the Video card, why don't you try upgrading the motherboard (perhaps to one with VGA and PCI-Ex) and upgrading the graphics card at the same time. That way you can keep the rest of your components which are not too outdated...

Building computers is easy. REALLY EASY. Get a book about it. I'd recomend one like "Dude, you can do it! How to build a sweet PC" (see dudecomputers.com). They give you a good explanation of what to buy and how to stick it all together.

I would alos warn you to stay away from cheap off-the-peg models as you will end up with low- quality, low-spec components that won't do you justice.
ocalhoun
sunjay wrote:

Intel Celeron 1.1ghz overclocked to 1.4ghz
512mb pc133
40gb 7200rpm hdd
Gigabyte 6veml motherboard
16X DVD ROM
40X12X48X CD-RW drive
Intergrated 8mb graphics
Intergrated sound
WinXP Pro

With integrated graphics like that, yes a PCI video card would greatly improve performance.
sunjay
thanks guys.

upgrading motherboard and everthing is out of question.

I've found a ATI Radeon 9000 (or was it 9100) PCI and a nVidia Geforce FX 5700 LE PCI. Which would be better? they are both almost the same price at my local computer shop.

James