FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you still use an antenna?

ocalhoun
I use an antenna for my TV.
This is for several reasons:
1 I refuse to pay to get the liberal media in my house
2 it's free
3 with a few modifications, you get many channels
4 I don't watch TV so much anymore.

The only really important tip I have is to get a signal amplifier.
Without an amplifier I get three or four channels, very fuzzy.
With an amplifier I get almost fifty channels many of which come in quite clear. (I live in central Florida, so I pick up signals from both the east and west coasts)
xorcist
lol I used to use one, but now I need to get cable because with a antenna now it not showing right.
memsa
This is all we have in our household. We had cable briefly a long time ago. It was expensive. especially when you saw the qulaity of the content in general and the amount of repitition. If there is a show you want to see on free to air but you are out you can record it. Most other things you might want to see you can get from your local video and DVD store. You get to watch these things when you want.

This assumes: your free to air signal is good!
SunburnedCactus
You still have to pay in the UK even if you are using an antenna. Shocked
It's no fun!
AzTeK
We used to have cable but it's just too expensive. We even had the 'super good special of $20 a month' then in about a year the cable bill was coming around forty dollars. It's not even like we had that many extra channels, seriously all we had was maybe 10 extra channels (2 of them good). I think cable and satellites are over rated...
Konfunderad
SunburnedCactus wrote:

You have to do that in Sweden too.
Clergy
ocalhoun wrote:
2 it's free

With an amplifier I get almost fifty channels many of which come in quite clear. (I live in central Florida, so I pick up signals from both the east and west coasts)

We actually built our TV antenna using a piece of coax cut to the appropriate frequency length and two car antennas adjusted to appropriate frequency length. Rather than your typical TV yagi antenna, we made a dipole antenna. We shot from 4 channels to about 20 or so. Then we added some satellite dishes that we had laying around and pointed them at the free satellites and are getting East Coast stations, Alaska stations, and some of which I have no idea where they are.
Clergy
xorcist wrote:
lol I used to use one, but now I need to get cable because with a antenna now it not showing right.

Because there's so much RF pollution now. It actually works better to build your own and make sure it's specific to length rather than purchase a commercial one.
leon44
Living in England, you can use FreeView, basicaly, you but a boxplug it into the ariel and recieve tons more channels in digital quality for free (you only pay for the set top box)
Wanderer
we use an antenna to get high-definition channels. only get a few though. we also have a satellite dish to get other channels but not in high-definition.
jeremoi
I live in Canada and I get a few channels for free without an antenna, but I'm seriously considering getting one.
andrewwallis
I don't think i even have an arial on my house anymore ! I think it may have fallen off or been removed by the last people who lived there. We just have very basic cable and as such we get all the free to air tv stations as well. I think it's worth paying for, the qulity is great and if there is nothing else on then you have the option of having MTV or V playing while you work.
Ioana
Konfunderad wrote:
SunburnedCactus wrote:

You have to do that in Sweden too.

I live in germany, and here you have to pay as soon as you own a tv or radio.
PuNGS
Well, I don't actually watch TV, so I don't use a antenna, but mt radio has one... Laughing
bigdan
I have no choice. I'm using an antenna.

Pay TV in Australia is basically ruled by two companies: Foxtel in the cities, Austar in regional areas. And both are expensive.
ainieas
We used to have a dish antenna long time back but it was quite a hassle, we just switched to cable after that.
Lennon
A copper clothes hanger bent into a circle makes a perfect antenna.
rwojick
Look, what we could do here is wire everyones tv with cable for 2 years and then we could come out with "wireless television" and all the "kids" will eat it up. If you think that for any reason that is not the game that the "service providers" of information has been playing for years then you are missing the boat.

This is why it is cool when someone like Noobie comes along with a novel idea to deliver a quality service that is exactly what he says it is is such a cool thing.

Eventually more will see that it all boils down to content and the higher the quality of that content the better and more interersting our lives will be.

More and more I see that NBC is running a "lets all go to no where" con game as if the democrats are an improvment over the republicans or getting terrorized as you go through the gate at the ball game is any w....oh, Im rambling again...and my three points are in the book...isn't life strange...
sketteksalfa
My girlfriend used antena from her house in Batangas. Good thing that receptions for GMA 7 is good coz ABS-CBN sucks. Talking of antenna thing or reception. If you are a home cable subscriber, you can talk with their field operator privately so he can switch your home cable to skycable. Theres more channel in Sky than home. By the way sky and home are sister company. Just give him like 500 pesos and your safe. hehe.
mckenneth
waHHaaa... in my country, U never pay for using an antenna... we used antenna and we have pretty much all the main channels... needs a lil tweeking and you'll get more channels.. clearr... (not as clear as HD tho)lolzz...
gianx80
Here in Italy we have Tv via antenna or satellite dish but for this we must pay in fact free channels are very few. But, with normal antenna, we can see normal TV or receive DVB-T signals.
netthug
I don't have an antenna, i've got Sky Digital and NTL. this is because you can get many channels and if you refuse to pay for tv well you can't watch anything good can you? lol
simp
Sure.

I used to have cable. but it was too expensive, the signal quaility was bad, the customer service was terrible, the lines were always damaged yet the cable company refused to fix them, and it was, as the song says, "57 channels and nothing's on."

If you live near a metro area, try going antenna only. You may have to continually adjust your antenna, but the freedom is worth it, and I don't think you'll really miss cable at all. I don't.
pexivee
When building your own antenna or installing a pre-fab one, use as good quality coaxial cable as you can afford. If you live in the outer range of your TV-stations reception area you will notice the difference - especially if you have a long cable run from the set to the antenna.

If you need a signal pre-amplifier, install it at the antenna end of your setup. If you install it at the TV-set end, you end up amplifying both the signal and the noise.

In my location it seemed impossible to put the antenna high enough to get decent reception. I went for cable and after the initial cost the monthly 5 dollar payment doesnt break my back.
alkady
I still use the antenna because I rarely watch TV anymore, But I'm planning to get the HDTV Tv Tuner card for my PC so I can watch over the air free TV while surfing the net.
zootsuit7
All this free broadcasting to be caught with just a little effort and $176! Free, over-the-air.

We get about 16 channels 15 of which come simulcast in digital. There are three or four additional channels which are broadcast in digital only. There is one analog channel that is not broadcast in digital. Altogether, we get 19 or twenty. At night, after a thunderstorm, we can get skip from 1 or 2 stations (it's cool, especially when their local news is on!) We get 2 NBC, 2 CBS, 2 ABC, 1 FOX, 3 or 4 CW, 4 different PBS stations (one is Annenberg/CPB), that "RTN" station, i (Pax?), Worship, Qubo, TheTube, TBN, and all the 'Weather" stuff that the local networks put on their digital channel 2. We usually pick up 20 (CW) in Knoxville that's nearly 300 miles away! Their amazing tower is 2214 feet high! I would love to visit it someday.

Yes the major networks are usually simulcasting the same thing, except during their local news and late at night. Some stagger their schedule from each other by one hour, so you can watch both shows on different networks that would be on in your local market. Also, only infomercials come on in the Lexington stations late at night and on weekends. The distant stations show CBS Up-To-The-Minute News and ABC World-News-Now, Little House on the Prairie, Hawaii Five-O, and other interesting things. I hope they never take their towers down.

We have a Channel Master 7700 amp ($32 open box anywhere), Zenith Remote-Control Rotor (cool! $66 (don't remember the website) (RG8 cable I think it was called for $8 - eBay). The antenna and pole were given to me. I ran an ad in the paper to volunteer to remove an unwanted antenna tower. The 27" RCA Cathode-Ray-Tube TV (which is wonderful to me) was a wedding gift, as I didn't own a TV and I watched hardly no TV before the wedding. It will outlast all your warranties on your newfangled Plasma TVs!!! The HDTV Tuner is Motorola HDT100 piece of crap (its memory gets corrupted whenever the power goes off and has to be reset! AAAGHH!!) (eBay-$60) But it works 99.9% of the time. And a One-4-All URC-8910 Programmable Remote (it does the Tuner, TV, VCR, DVD, and even the darn Antenna Rotor! - $10 eBay). The VCR is RCA too, for taping that ABC show Lost and DX and skip so I have proof when I try to justify all the effort! Smile
Alienz
I do use TV antenna in my room because there is no cable plug in my room Sad
nigam
Yes antenna in the whole whose. hehehhe
Osprey
I have Dish Network, until about a year ago they only had one network in High-Def, but their DVR Reciever allowed the use of an off-air antenna. There is a 30 year old airial antenna on the roof of my house so I hooked it up to my DVR and aimed it to the correct location and BOOM! High-Def or Digital television for just about every station and the quality was amazing.

Now things have changed, Dish Network offers all networks in High-Def, but I still use the antenna as a backup, or if I need to record 3 things at once. But it's cool to know that you can get stunning High Definition pictures from a 30 year old UHF antenna... and to think when I bought the house I almost threw it in the trash.

If you want information on antenna's check this sight out, you can plug in your address and it will tell you what type of antenna you need which directions to point it and what stations are available (at least for the U.S.):
http://www.antennaweb.org
Studio Madcrow
Not only do I still use an antena, I still use rabbit ears. You know, the kind that actually sits right on top of the TV and plugs in the back. I appreciate being able to play with the signal as it comes into the TV. Plus, you don't have to pay a dime for over-the-air TV.
talonsmallville
Hi People,

Sounds so past - back to the past - that.
But yes, I used some antenna too.

I have a cabo one, but to see the local channels I need a normal one.

Bye.
arkebuzer
ocalhoun wrote:
2 it's free

Yeah, Im using an antenna too. Simply because its for free. But soon they will stop broadcasting it analogous and change to digital. And then I guess it wont be for free any more, and I can as well pay a little extra and get some channels that are actually good entertainment.
bluefossil
I haven't used an antenna in a long while. I have comcast cabel with an hdtv dvr. is great I never have time to catch my favorite shows so I get to record them all and watch at my own convenience.
And, now that I've tasted Hi Def tv I find it hard to go back to standard tv.
SmartIcon
We use antenna for our television in our home due to the following reasons.
1. It is free and we can access two channelsonly. These are DOORDARSAN an DD-NEWS.
2. In our home out of four persons, two live outside for study purpose. Then my father has not enough time to watch televison. My mother only wants to watch oriya programs. Out of three available orya channels one is DOORDARSAN, which can be watched by using an antenna.
3. We are unable to afford money for cable television, with out taking its advantage.
mialynavahy
SunburnedCactus wrote:
It's no fun!

oh really ? yes, it's no fun, everywhere in the world(except UK), you don't have to pay the channel with an antenna, channels free Vs cable Smile so i have an antenna for my TV and i m happy with that Smile
eday2010
I used an tv-top antenna until this spring, when I got cable so I could watch the hockey playoffs and the World Cup. Now we have to keep it for a year (the cable co. makes it a contract). Once we get a house, I will be getting free-to-air satellite. With a modification of two, I will be able to get TONS of channels for free Very Happy
NuniPio
hehe i still use the indoor antenna, but i do have pay tv, except they only air a couple of the free to air channels (only coz i got sattelite) with cable they show all free to air channels.
sonicj
As a child I remember going outside to turn the antenna while my brother would yell out the window when it got clear. Those were the good old days. Razz
pudovkin
Yeap. An internal one. Wink
urangkayo
yes, i still using antenna for my tv

i think it's good coz free Very Happy
rein
We have an antenna for the tv at the scouts. It's free and nobody actualy lives there, so we can't install cable. In a year and a half they will stop broadcasting for antennas though Sad
alexdude
ocalhoun wrote:

Wow! 50 Channels! I only get up to like 44 on my cable!
onemoment
i still use rabbit ears as well! they work ok to get free-to-air tv, and i dont really watch tv anyway so it doesnt bother me. its just annoying because i cant get reception with two channels with them. but im a poor uni student so it will have to do! Smile
bassman
We definitely still have rabbit ears at our house. In fact, it was only two years ago that my father threw out our 26 year-old television that we had to turn on and off using needle nose-pliers. I'm still in college and since my current roommates and I don't really watch much television, we don't have anything. We have a television for movies and that's it. I think we might be able to get one channel--the public television. There's not much to watch, but it works just fine.
TripleSicx707
i use a antenna and somehow i get the local channels in HD like 6 or 7 of em!
ItsWesley
I have an antenna in my roof because anywhere else won't get any watchable signal.
I also have a Sky+ box so I can watch all the good stuff that isn't on regular freeview TV, though I may get SkyHD soon so I can watch High Definition programs.
zagu
I use an antenna. I don't want to pay the cable companies because they are using all the money they make to increase their profits instead of upgrading their infrastructure. The United States is now years behind Europe in terms of developing a fast, reliable backbone for the Internet. The cable companies and the phone companies convinced the government to increase consumer rates in order to build this back bone. But they didn't. We have been paying high prices for both phone and cable service and now they want to do the same thing again to build the infrastructure they had already promised to build.
Anticollie
I can see both points of view, however I personally have the Comcast Digital Cable packadge, only because I enjoy a secect few channels like G4, and the like. As well as the HDTV that I can get as well.

I know it's rather expensive, but because of my afinity with music (It comes with "radio stations" or sorts) and the general fact that my at-home time is encompassed with computer/reading/tv/or sleeping, that leaves like 25% of my rest and relaxation time to watching the boob tube (mind you, I only enjoy shows like Discovery Channel, The History channel... things that are supplementary to one's general knowledge of the world). The brainless bull-shat that is MTV and the like shouldn't be on TV, the whole "reality TV" thing has been done... it's time to move on.

So... back on track, I basically have Cable (and therefore no antenna) because I value my TV, I actively use it when I get home from work/whatever to wind down and see what's going on in life, if I don't feel like reading today's paper (which is growing more common as the Prez. Bush's presidency continues). So long as I can justify paying for the service because I like it, and want it (and it's not going to drive me to the poor house), then I think I'll keep my (fairly expensive) cable Very Happy

Anticollie.
Kelcey
I use antenna to get OTA HD. It looks plentifully better than any of the over compressed garbage over satellite and HD cable Sad It's free... but lacks channels.
xanarulz
I rarely use the anenna,
but the one i have is the rabbit-ears too but I get to fustrated with them and instead of trying to pick a station I end up cussing out the thing because it doesn't work to my content. When I do use it its because i hurricane hit and we have no cable or power and we have one of those portal black and white television thingys
apple
Rolling Eyes

errrr.....I don't have any cable tv so I have my rabbit ears proudly sitting on my tv... Rolling Eyes
the9squad
well, i prefer use antenna than tv-cable-services. Very Happy Very Happy

it's free, and with little trick using signal-booster u 'could catch many channel than before.

in my country, this booster cost --> $5 only !

($5 --> 10 more channel) Twisted Evil
adomicilio
PuNGS wrote:
Well, I don't actually watch TV, so I don't use a antenna, but mt radio has one... Laughing

Oh! Can I ask you why did you in thhis forum?

Well, We need to start saying that the question was wrong, so, the answers will be wrong...

The quetion must be "How do you receive your tv signal?" because you always receive your tv signal from an antheena.

I'm electronic engineer and I would like to explain you that we have a lot of kind of antheenas, even if you don't have them in your house the signal is always take in with an antheena. For example:

If you have a cable receptor I have news for you... this cable take the signal from an antheena, maybe from a satelite or meaybe from the own channel, but is always from an antheena.

So, I'm gonna to answer the question, yes I receive my tv signal from an antheena, but the signal taake place in my home across a coaxial wire. We have almost 100 channels and we paid for them USD$15. I live in Colombia.

Bye,
jWarr
Use on one tv in the kitchen. Main tv in living room doesnt have one.
frozenhead
We still use antennas for our TV sets. It's free of charge but the thing is it's a hassle getting channel receptions but it's good though.