FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

64 bit OS?

Jack_Hammer
Okay if you have or are going to have a 64 bit OS (which eventually everyone will have) then you will know or find out how annoying it is that there arn't any 64 bit plugins, so you can't use your 64 bit firefox, annoying huh. So some guy set up this petition.
http://www.petitiononline.com/lin64swf/petition.html
erlendhg
I didn't quite understand that. What is meant with "64 bit plugins"?
Kashinilaya
First things first. No 64 bit O.S., no 64 bit plug-ins...
bliushift
i think its too early for 64 bit processing. after the price drops there will be a more mass market approach and then they will start making more 64 bit applications. as for now, you probably are part of the .01% that uses 64 applications/OS's.
jgangl
I don't feel 64 bit applications are really that big of a deal at the moment. But that will be changing very soon.
billgertz
Im actually planning to purchase a 64bit Processor Anytime this month and am also planning to do a dual boot for Linux 64 bit and the Windows XP. I checked on the article and its about the petition of nearly 3,300 people who are possitively users of 64bit OS for a company named Macromedia to develop a browser plugin that will work in a 64 bit environment.

Well, Macromedia should consider the petition. sooner or later there will be lots of people who will be using a 64 bit technology.

Welcome to the future dude!
johnisenglish
You can always just chroot into a 32bit environment for applications like Firefox. That's what I do in 64bit Gentoo (though I've been booting into 32bit Ubuntu a lot, lately...)

None the less, it would be very nice to see more native 64bit support.
ahlai
heard from my fren that 64bit OS is supported by amd and not intel. isit true? and when will the OS be out?
elTibor
Intel has hardware(ie CPU) that is 64 bit.

The EMT64(extended memory technology) duel core chip is what powers my system.

Its great. Allows for 32 bit and native 64 bit applications to be run. EMT is great.

I have yet to venture into 64 bit AMD, although the intel chip relies on amd technology.

Rolling Eyes I wonder who would win in a benchmarking competition.
James007
If you don't care to post in the appropriate section..
-close-